Matson responds following molasses sp...

Matson responds following molasses spill in Honolulu Harbor

There are 24 comments on the KITV-TV story from Sep 12, 2013, titled Matson responds following molasses spill in Honolulu Harbor. In it, KITV-TV reports that:

The 12 inch pipeline that burst sending an estimated 233,000 gallons of molasses into Honolulu Harbor was located below the waterline near Pier 52. The leak came as a complete surprise to Matson as molasses was loaded onto the SS Maui on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KITV-TV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
District 1

Kahului, HI

#1 Sep 13, 2013
Matson should pay a fine similar to those for oil spills. This wiping out of marine life in an entire harbor should be borne by Matson and it's shareholders, without any ability to raise prices to take it off the backs of customers.

1004 The liability for tank vessels larger than 3,000 gross tons is increased to $1,200 per gross ton or $10 million, whichever is greater. Responsible parties at onshore facilities and deepwater ports are liable for up to $350 millon per spill; holders of leases or permits for offshore facilities, except deepwater ports, are liable for up to $75 million per spill, plus removal costs. The Federal government has the authority to adjust, by regulation, the $350 million liability limit established for onshore facilities.

Follow federal parameters, Neil! Sure this isn't oil, but it's a fish kill like oil would produce.

$10million fine MINIMUM!
Scottsdale AZ PhoenixAZZ

Honolulu, HI

#2 Sep 13, 2013
It is well known that people residing in Maui are a bit laidback and slower than the average folk but c'mon this is the forth thread on the molasses spill. Quit assuming others identities and wasting bandwidth.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#3 Sep 13, 2013
Frankly, I am surprised that my Neil has not done anything yet to proactively rectify this issue. In my humble opinion, Maui district 1's solution is the way to go.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#4 Sep 13, 2013
Also, are not the submerged lands of Honolulu Harbor considered State lands? And is not the molasses spill considered a use of State lands? Following the argument of the Superferry, was an environmental assessment ever done under State EIS law?
Auntie Kabong

San Jose, CA

#5 Sep 13, 2013
Houston, we have a Splat.
Kenji

United States

#6 Sep 13, 2013
alice wrote:
Also, are not the submerged lands of Honolulu Harbor considered State lands? And is not the molasses spill considered a use of State lands? Following the argument of the Superferry, was an environmental assessment ever done under State EIS law?
Alice, you bakatare, all uses of State land by Matson and Young Brothers predated the State EIS law established in the 1970's. They are grandfathered in. No believe? Call the office of envriomental quality control!
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#7 Sep 13, 2013
Auntie Kabong wrote:
Houston, we have a Splat.
answer the question, auntie. If you keep splatting go take some imodium to soothe you bowel movements.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#8 Sep 13, 2013
Kenji wrote:
<quoted text>
Alice, you bakatare, all uses of State land by Matson and Young Brothers predated the State EIS law established in the 1970's. They are grandfathered in. No believe? Call the office of envriomental quality control!
Call OEQC? You kidding? They started the Superfairy! LOLOL!
ZZZzz

San Jose, CA

#9 Sep 13, 2013
Too bad druggie,missed your boar.
Violet

Kaneohe, HI

#10 Sep 13, 2013
Read the stupid article, Alice, before you open your big fat mouth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/hawaii-...
Nola

United States

#11 Sep 13, 2013
Violet wrote:
Read the stupid article, Alice, before you open your big fat mouth.
http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/hawaii-...
"The state didn't require Matson to plan for the possibility, Gill and a state Department of Transportation spokeswoman said."

Should not the State have required Matson to prepare an EA for its operations? Why was the Superferry required to do an EA when Matson didn't do one?

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#12 Sep 13, 2013
Nola wrote:
<quoted text>
"The state didn't require Matson to plan for the possibility, Gill and a state Department of Transportation spokeswoman said."
Should not the State have required Matson to prepare an EA for its operations? Why was the Superferry required to do an EA when Matson didn't do one?
Sugar made this state prosper, that's why they were excused. They were here a hundred years before you even heard of an EIS statement, before you were born, and even before Hawaii voted to become a proud member of of the U.S.
Pau

Since: Jan 11

Honolulu, HI

#13 Sep 13, 2013
District 1 wrote:
Matson should pay a fine similar to those for oil spills. This wiping out of marine life in an entire harbor should be borne by Matson and it's shareholders, without any ability to raise prices to take it off the backs of customers.
1004 The liability for tank vessels larger than 3,000 gross tons is increased to $1,200 per gross ton or $10 million, whichever is greater. Responsible parties at onshore facilities and deepwater ports are liable for up to $350 millon per spill; holders of leases or permits for offshore facilities, except deepwater ports, are liable for up to $75 million per spill, plus removal costs. The Federal government has the authority to adjust, by regulation, the $350 million liability limit established for onshore facilities.
Follow federal parameters, Neil! Sure this isn't oil, but it's a fish kill like oil would produce.
$10million fine MINIMUM!
The unfortunate thing with this spill is the molasses will have to be dispersed by the tides and currents that will flush it out to sea.

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#14 Sep 13, 2013
Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
The unfortunate thing with this spill is the molasses will have to be dispersed by the tides and currents that will flush it out to sea.
Nothing will flush it out That's political bullshit. The silt will have to bury it.
bobo

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 13, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing will flush it out That's political bullshit. The silt will have to bury it.
Did i ever tell you that Jowanda is as sweet as molasses. She said she was street legal, so what could i do.
Pau

Honolulu, HI

#16 Sep 13, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing will flush it out That's political bullshit. The silt will have to bury it.
Makes perfect sense that a birther would question tidal streams.
Coreen

United States

#17 Sep 13, 2013
I saw the video and puffer fish and baloon fish are surfacing, gasping for oxygen. The no action alternative is reprehensible. The government must do something.
Coreen

United States

#18 Sep 13, 2013
alice wrote:
<quoted text>
Call OEQC? You kidding? They started the Superfairy! LOLOL!
When I visited Honolulu in 2007, I distinctly recall that the start of the Superferry case was because the Director of OEQC, a woman, erroneously advised the Department of Transportation that the improvements at a Maui harbor (intended for the Superferry) were exempt. The SCOH then ruled that the exemption by the Department was erroneous because if failed to examine indirect and cumulative impacts from the Maui harbor improvements. Since then, the OEQC has undergone several directors.

My friends have informed me that the very same woman that started this Superferry case - was actually REAPPOINTED by the current Governor. All I can say, is that if Government did business like the private sector, this woman would have been FIRED.

But Hawaiian politics is so complicated and convoluted. The philosopher George Santayana said "[t]hose who forget history are condemned to repeat it." Good luck, Hawaii.
Pau

Honolulu, HI

#19 Sep 13, 2013
Coreen wrote:
I saw the video and puffer fish and baloon fish are surfacing, gasping for oxygen. The no action alternative is reprehensible. The government must do something.
Unfortunately, there is no clean-up process possible for this kind of spill. Unlike oil that can be skimmed off the surface, the molasses will have to be dispersed by the tides and currents that will flush it out to sea.
District 1

Kahului, HI

#20 Sep 14, 2013
Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, there is no clean-up process possible for this kind of spill. Unlike oil that can be skimmed off the surface, the molasses will have to be dispersed by the tides and currents that will flush it out to sea.
Molasses is basically sugar and carbohydrates. It will ferment, and fermentation depletes oxygen and creates toxic byproducts, which kills just about everything.
Matson must be fined in line with what Jimmy Pflueger paid for the runoff he caused on Kauai---$4,000,000.
Matson should also be run out of town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 2 hr District 1 Nievity 2,923
Commenting on "Protesting Blacks" is Off Limits... 3 hr Joe Balls 237
An Uncontested Divorce after 33 years 4 hr Guru 12
Child abuse 5 hr District 1 Nievity 6
District 1 gave 300 hundred to Iges campaign (Aug '14) 5 hr District 1 Nievity 45
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 10 hr District 1 Nievity 581
Waianae Joe Balls Is the lone voice from the We... 13 hr Joe Balls 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waipio Mortgages