Spencecliff revives many fond memories

Spencecliff revives many fond memories

There are 85 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 13, 2008, titled Spencecliff revives many fond memories. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Chantal Weaver remembers running around her father's restaurants as a child - she had many to choose from, as her father was Spencer Weaver, co-founder of the Spencecliff restaurant chain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
rufus

Honolulu, HI

#1 Aug 13, 2008
I agree, "Where's Hawaii?" Although I work in the travel industry & have been for over 30 years now, somewhere along the line of my career the Aloha spirit has diappeared and corperate America has taken over our beloved lands. I too was a former employee of the famous Spencecliff restaurants and I remember all the places. Tahitian lanai, Tops canterbury, Tops waikiki, Ranch house Aina Haina, South seas village, Popos, I was fortunate to work em all. That was when Hawaii was special. Now unfortunately all our businesses "no exceptions" have gone the corperate way TIME is money, and MONEY is power. Sad; NO kala, NO kuliana. Aloha!
Constance Uale

Springfield, OR

#2 Aug 13, 2008
We were a Spencecliff family and I have fond memories from my youth of many of the restaurants! I still have the Eat Beat in which my Mom was the Employee of the Month! She worked at Queens Surf, Tops, Schooner and Cocks Roost. At one time all of us held a position at a Spencecliff Restaurant; that's eight of my siblings, my Mom and my Dad! We'll get Mom to that reunion! GREAT IDEA!
Phil K

Wahiawa, HI

#3 Aug 13, 2008
I want to know if the former Donna Stockwell, Spencecliff's marketing director, will be returning for the reunion. She was a friend and colleague in those days.
Tiki Tops

Hilo, HI

#4 Aug 13, 2008
Our memories of Spencecliff are from the years our father was a dishwasher at Tiki Tops in Kane`ohe. Every year we'd get a gift certificate for Christmas, and that's when we'd have dinner at Prince Kuhio's, Fisherman's Wharf, or Queen's Surf. What a treat that was.

Our favorite times, though, were at Tiki Tops where we grew up. Many a family birthday was celebrated there. We had dinner there the night I graduated from high school. I could use a Portuguese sausage burger about now.

I worked in the bakery the summer of my junior year in high school. I hated the uniform, but I loved (too much) all the goodies. That's where I learned to write on a cake.

I wish I could get to the reunion, but I have another commitment that same night. I hope everyone who does attend has a wonderful time.
Dumbfounded

Honolulu, HI

#5 Aug 13, 2008
Is this place like Mcdonalds?
bornin1962

Honolulu, HI

#6 Aug 13, 2008
Growing up in Niu Valley, we had numerous family dinners and baseball banquets at M's Ranch House. Coco's would be a Sunday treat. Later, I came to frequent Kelly's due to its 24 hour service and conveniently located near my work and home.

All of the employees treated you as though you were family.

Customer service was friendly and genuine, and the food was plentiful and tasty. All of these making for a truly wonderful dining experience.

I hope the plans come to fruition, and maybe the Spencecliff family can open a couple more resturants themed to combine all of the former resturants.

Good Luck!
Environaut

Hilo, HI

#7 Aug 13, 2008
Guess only those of us who've passed our 50th birthday have these kinds of memories. My first job in Hawai`i was working as a floater at all the restaurants. Stayed with them for nearly five years full and part-timne. Great place to work - customers, co-workers and management alike.
LEO

Honolulu, HI

#8 Aug 13, 2008
What about "The Beef N Grog?" Riighr on Kalakaua across the street from Bank of Hawaii. I worked there for a couple of years. It was a wild night club. The bouncer there in the early 70's beat up and killed a patron there one New Years eve. The general manager had his van bombed in the back parking lot, Copd killed a patron who left drunk and fought with them. All at the world famos Beef n Grog. On the street it was called the Barf n Gag. Good ol Spencecliff..........
Happy In Maui

Ewa Beach, HI

#9 Aug 13, 2008
After a late night out, Kellys was the last place to stop and eat before going home. One of my fond memories was our waitress, Tanya. She would always give an extra scoop of ice cream when he ordered the banana split. Kellys always used real ice cream & not soft serve type. My daughter who now lives in California, would always talk about their fried rice and crispy gau gee min, so ono! This generation will never know what Kellys resturant was like.
kimo

Honolulu, HI

#10 Aug 13, 2008
Dumbfounded in aiea, is what place like mcdonalds?
that words should not be uttered in the same day as Spencecliff is mentioned.

By the way, this party is also open to all those that frequented the Spencecliff restaurants, as well as the employees.

the blog
http://spencecliff.blogspot.com/

a video of the Spencecliff Legacy will be shown and available at the event.
Dumbfounded

Honolulu, HI

#11 Aug 13, 2008
Why not? They make betta french fries and Big Macs?
kimo wrote:
Dumbfounded in aiea, is what place like mcdonalds?
that words should not be uttered in the same day as Spencecliff is mentioned.
By the way, this party is also open to all those that frequented the Spencecliff restaurants, as well as the employees.
the blog
http://spencecliff.blogspot.com/
a video of the Spencecliff Legacy will be shown and available at the event.
skeeter

Princeville, HI

#12 Aug 13, 2008
miss the Bronco Bar - they had the most terrific sandwiches
Just the Facts - Man

Honolulu, HI

#13 Aug 13, 2008
Is this just for former employees or can customers attend too? I spent many nights at the **** Roost chatting it up with the bartenders and listening to the great live entertainment. Great memories!!!
kimo

Honolulu, HI

#14 Aug 13, 2008
Yes, open to ol' time Customers too, of the 50 + Spencecliff restaurants!
cakenoodle

Kaneohe, HI

#15 Aug 13, 2008
My favorite thing about Ranch House was getting to pick a toy from the Treasure Chest.

The Spencliff restaurants were charming, like Honolulu used to be, all theme based. The food was good too.
Dumbfounded

Honolulu, HI

#16 Aug 13, 2008
Oh! spencliff was a chinese restaurant.
cakenoodle wrote:
My favorite thing about Ranch House was getting to pick a toy from the Treasure Chest.
The Spencliff restaurants were charming, like Honolulu used to be, all theme based. The food was good too.
kimo

Honolulu, HI

#17 Aug 13, 2008
"Only the Hawaiian Hut is still in business."
and Fisherman's Wharf, currently undergoing much needed repairs/renovation.
Kimokeo

AOL

#18 Aug 13, 2008
Wasn't Kau Kau Korner a Spencecliff restaurant? I remember in the early 50's when I was mostly broke eating one scoop of rice with brown gravy for ten cents. Hit the spot!
kimo

Honolulu, HI

#19 Aug 13, 2008
Kau Kau Korner was owned by H.P. "Sunny" Sundstrom, it was in business from the 1930's until around 1960, when it was replaced by Coco's Coffee House, a Spencecliff restaurant...
a Hard Rock cafe stand there now...
http://www.downwindproductions.com/kau_kau_co... #
Dumbfounded

Honolulu, HI

#20 Aug 13, 2008
Man you old! Now days you cannot buy one penny for 10 cents.
Kimokeo wrote:
Wasn't Kau Kau Korner a Spencecliff restaurant? I remember in the early 50's when I was mostly broke eating one scoop of rice with brown gravy for ten cents. Hit the spot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) 45 min White Supremacist 433
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 1 hr Leeward Outlier 701
Imua Rail?? (May '12) 2 hr Where is my love ... 554
All Hail YOUR new President Donald J Trump!! 2 hr Where is my love ... 15
Gangs in Hawaii (Oct '07) 6 hr Where is my love ... 801
Poll Alice has worms. (Apr '10) 10 hr Eeeew 285
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 14 hr Princess Hey 212

Waipio Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waipio Mortgages