Deadly crash brings calls for caution - Hawaii News

There are 20 comments on the Dec 21, 2009, Honolulu Star-Bulletin story titled Deadly crash brings calls for caution - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Vehicles continued to speed -- easily at 50-plus mph -- on Halawa Heights Road yesterday past the scene of a motorcycle accident that killed 23-year-old Jonathan Pons and critically injured a 13-year-old boy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

local

Honolulu, HI

#23 Dec 21, 2009
For his friends who called him a safe driver, what was he doing going up Halawa speeding way beyond the speed limit. I can't say at what speed, but it doesn't look like anything under 50. How safe is that.
jnkreaders

Honolulu, HI

#24 Dec 21, 2009
speed kills
kapaa

Lihue, HI

#25 Dec 21, 2009
too bad an innocent passenger needed to get hurt, the female driver had the right of way and the motorcylist was speeding and unfortunatly died because of it. Motorcyclist versus car only has disaster as the outcome. sad all the way around
The Truth

Honolulu, HI

#26 Dec 21, 2009
outlaw motorcycles....they are insane...you have to wear a seat belt in Hawaii but u can ride in the back of a pickup truck and ride a murdercycle without a helmet...laws are written by complete idiots
no can

Aiea, HI

#28 Dec 21, 2009
MY TWO CENTS wrote:
I sure hope the COPS ARE READING this they should go and start giving TICKETS TO THE SPEEDERS... in that area. The bikers, trying to blame the vehicle for the accident by saying "He had the right of way" brah when you go real fast, people driving will not have the time to SEE YOU COMING and REACT..... all these RICE BURNERS THINK THEY OWN THE ROAD.....
no can braddah. too many burglaries, UEMV's (car break-in's), theft-in-custody (shoplifting arrests), and vehicle collisions to deal with, seriously. its crazy this time of year.... radio is non-stop.
satch7

Honolulu, HI

#29 Dec 21, 2009
kanehi wrote:
Even though he was speeding he still had the right of way. The driver of the van should've been more careful also as she was making a turn. A girl driver from Waipahu with an adult from California who probably doesn't know the area might also be a factor. I tell my kid to take a double look before entering an intersection 'cause some people are just plain crazy!
YOU ARE AN IDIOT!! Have you been to that intersection??? That biker was speeding in a quiet residential neighborhood...nothing more and nothing less....and nothing could have prevented that accident......
Greatwall

Honolulu, HI

#30 Dec 21, 2009
The fact that the motorcyclist received a speeding ticket before just contradicted what his friends said about him not speeding. Based on his friends comments, I figure they also must be real numbskulls with brains the size of a pea. Birds of a feather flock together.
Greatwall

Honolulu, HI

#32 Dec 21, 2009
The Truth wrote:
outlaw motorcycles....they are insane...you have to wear a seat belt in Hawaii but u can ride in the back of a pickup truck and ride a murdercycle without a helmet...laws are written by complete idiots
While you're at it why not outlaw knives, cars, airplanes and thousands of other things. Many things can kill people if they are used irresponsibly. Are you even capable of thinking beyond a 4th grade level? Never mind, I already know the answer.
GIXXERGUY

Honolulu, HI

#33 Dec 21, 2009
Speed like a jerk die like a jerk
Rename

Honolulu, HI

#35 Dec 21, 2009
Should change your club name to NoXcuse Jes Ride FAST! Stupid jokers. Ha!
Kauai Annie

Kailua, HI

#36 Dec 21, 2009
SLOW DOWN HAWAII!!!
Mobetta

Honolulu, HI

#37 Dec 21, 2009
jnkreaders wrote:
speed kills
No it's that sudden stop
what

Waimanalo, HI

#38 Dec 21, 2009
Momi wrote:
It was the girl's fault, she killed an innocent person. She did not look before entering the intersection. It doesn't matter if the motorcycle was speeding, if she knew how to drive she would have looked and stopped, they teach that in kindergarten. Her parents are responsible since they were in the vehicle with her and they will lose everything in a law suit. No excuses she was at fault.
The motocycle was passing a car. It the motocycle's responsibility to pass safely. It against the law to pass another car in an intersection.

The motocycle impacted the car on the wroing side of the road. He would have hit the car if he stayed in his own lane.
Kaaawa43

Aiea, HI

#39 Dec 21, 2009
To all of the impassioned commenters, I must say - while it's good you feel so moved to comment, please - PLEASE take a minute and consider that this is a FAMILY member of one of our Hawaii ohana.

Nobody wanted this. Nobody gains here.

And for DARN sure, NONE of you were there that night. Yes - it does seem very likely that his speed contributed to the collision, but we do NOT know this for a fact. I've ridden motorcycles for 23 years here in the islands and can tell you that even NOT speeding drivers can make poentially deadly turns across your path - at this point we just don't know - so the intelligent, decent thing to do is just hold your tongue - there is a family mourning a deep loss. Have a little respect, and yes - drive carefully - those crowded roads are filled with somebody's sons, daughters, and mothers that just want to get home to thier family. Public roads are nobody's private race track - and we ALL know there are drivers of all types of vehicles going too fast for safety out there.

Shame on you for some of the rude, cruel comments above - may you never have feel the sting of mean words at the time of a tragedy.

Since: Nov 09

Kapaa, HI

#40 Dec 21, 2009
enufalready wrote:
The level of denial is amazing. Busted for speeding already, this motorcyclist smashed into that vehicle going so fast that he not only caved it in but pushed it off the road with enough force to destroy a cement block wall and injure several people. But ... no, he never sped according to his friends. Well, the damage is done and another reckless, speeding maniac on a crotchrocket has paid the price. too bad his buddies cannot admit the truth and do their part in changing the culture that prevails among so many motorcycle riders.
No need at a time like this to load onto the grieving. Of course they defend their friends safety record, you would too. Motorcycles are being sold with millions in profits, maybe we should stop having them all together? People will find something else to get their adrenaline going, it is the way it is.
Speed is a thrill, and driving fast is fun, there is just so little road to do it here on this island. Young people feel invincible, they just want the thrill. Maybe they need a designated speed area? My condolences to his family.
GoWarriors

Honolulu, HI

#41 Dec 21, 2009
This is never going to end. People that speed excessively just don't get it and never will. I only pray that when accidents happen because of these idiots, please make sure you hit trees, walls, guardrails and kill yourself, don't injure or kill innocent people.
Mike J

Tomball, TX

#42 Dec 21, 2009
Friends say he was "a disciplined motorcycle rider who didn't speed...". The conviction tells the real story. I don't know why young people on motorcycles think they are invincible and ride recklessly. Unfortunately, we have another senseless death that other irresponsible motorcyclists will ignore.
tweet

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#43 Dec 21, 2009
Kaaawa43 wrote:
To all of the impassioned commenters, I must say - while it's good you feel so moved to comment, please - PLEASE take a minute and consider that this is a FAMILY member of one of our Hawaii ohana.
Nobody wanted this. Nobody gains here.
And for DARN sure, NONE of you were there that night. Yes - it does seem very likely that his speed contributed to the collision, but we do NOT know this for a fact. I've ridden motorcycles for 23 years here in the islands and can tell you that even NOT speeding drivers can make poentially deadly turns across your path - at this point we just don't know - so the intelligent, decent thing to do is just hold your tongue - there is a family mourning a deep loss. Have a little respect, and yes - drive carefully - those crowded roads are filled with somebody's sons, daughters, and mothers that just want to get home to thier family. Public roads are nobody's private race track - and we ALL know there are drivers of all types of vehicles going too fast for safety out there.
Shame on you for some of the rude, cruel comments above - may you never have feel the sting of mean words at the time of a tragedy.
and tell me why we should feel compassion and hold our thoughts for someone who so very OBVIOUSLY WAS SPEEDING and had no regard for OUR safety?

broadsiding a car with so much impact that it was pushed off the road and into a hollow tile wall WASN'T the cause of him speeding? if he was going the speed limit, that car would not have been pushed that far.

now YOU should feel compassion for the kids in that car who were injured. especially the one who's in critical condition. in all your defending of the cyclist, you never once mentioned this kids' suffering and the lifetime scars they may experience. you say we don't know the facts, yet, you failed to see the very obvious one.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#44 Dec 21, 2009
I agree..there is way too much aggressive, drunken driving out there. Where is HPD?
Kaneohe Mom

Kihei, HI

#45 Dec 21, 2009
Momi wrote:
It was the girl's fault, she killed an innocent person. She did not look before entering the intersection. It doesn't matter if the motorcycle was speeding, if she knew how to drive she would have looked and stopped, they teach that in kindergarten. Her parents are responsible since they were in the vehicle with her and they will lose everything in a law suit. No excuses she was at fault.
Read the article more carefully. The speeding motocyclist manuvered left of a car to avoid a rear end collision when he hit the girl's car. Had he been driving at the speed limit, he would have stopped behind the car and the sequence of collisions would probably have been avoided. And no, kindergarten doesn't teach driver education. Take the time to think how your comment may affect the 16-year old who I view as a victim herself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Hawaii people so stupid? (Jan '11) 4 hr Joe Balls 718
Kollin Elderts Still Dead even with Three Deedy... 4 hr Joe Balls 18
News Islanders protest gay-marriage ban - Hawaii News (Feb '09) 4 hr paulaxbby 198
Stupid people 5 hr Imposter 2
Nazi State 5 hr District 1 7
Yuk yuk yuk yuk 11 hr Narco 1
Poll Alice is a schnook (Sep '09) 18 hr Michael 645
More from around the web

Waipahu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]