Deadly crash brings calls for caution - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Vehicles continued to speed -- easily at 50-plus mph -- on Halawa Heights Road yesterday past the scene of a motorcycle accident that killed 23-year-old Jonathan Pons and critically injured a 13-year-old boy.
Comments
1 - 20 of 161 Comments Last updated May 22, 2010
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
enufalready

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

The level of denial is amazing. Busted for speeding already, this motorcyclist smashed into that vehicle going so fast that he not only caved it in but pushed it off the road with enough force to destroy a cement block wall and injure several people. But ... no, he never sped according to his friends. Well, the damage is done and another reckless, speeding maniac on a crotchrocket has paid the price. too bad his buddies cannot admit the truth and do their part in changing the culture that prevails among so many motorcycle riders.
kanehi

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Even though he was speeding he still had the right of way. The driver of the van should've been more careful also as she was making a turn. A girl driver from Waipahu with an adult from California who probably doesn't know the area might also be a factor. I tell my kid to take a double look before entering an intersection 'cause some people are just plain crazy!
Lord Haha

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Excessive speed takes away you presumption of right of way.

These guys that ride these "rockets" show off and are going to get killed. Wreckless behavior and speed on a motocycle will get you kill; without fail.

Continue to pick up the piece. Because that is what you have left.

You "rocket jockeys" got to slow down.
Lord Haha

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Bury your friend. Don't bury the pieces of broke glass, metal, platic and dreams. Display those pieces of debris so others can learn.

This is a teachable moment Mr. Castillo You don't want to lose anymore.
vietnam7072 kaneohe

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

DUMMYS keep speeding u DUMMYS
satch7

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Although it is tragic that someone has lost their life in this reckless accident, I have no sympathy for the responsible party that was speeding esp. on a motorcycle. I am sick and tired of listening to friends of the deceased responsible for any accident saying that he was nice, quiet, and was not a speeder...blah...blah..blah... .Thank goodness the responsible party in this case met his due justice....nothing more....nothing less.
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

"Friends say Pons, a 2005 Farrington graduate, was a disciplined motorcycle rider who didn't speed or drink while riding his black 2007 Honda CVR sport bike."

Did I misread this article? Wasn't he sighted, AND CONVICTED, in October of last year for speeding?

Obviously another case of the "I'M INVINCIBLE" syndrome of some youth. In this case though a 13-year old boy is in critical condition because of this syndrome.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Another fatality, what a sad sad thing to happen. Could have prevented it but speeders never learn & they don't listen. Oh!well...and to the 13yr old boy who was injured and their family "I pray with you"...
Pau

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Condolences to the victim and family. Hopefully the injured passenger recovers.

The question I have is why didn't the article include if the motorcycle victim was wearing a helmet? Just my opinion, but I think it is astonishing that all states do not have a mandatory helmet law.

Since: Nov 09

Keauhou, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Speeding in residential areas is an island wide problem. Hopefully the new police chief will take some steps to curtail it. We should have safe roads in our neighborhoods but we don't.
TVMAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

kanehi wrote:
Even though he was speeding he still had the right of way. The driver of the van should've been more careful also as she was making a turn. A girl driver from Waipahu with an adult from California who probably doesn't know the area might also be a factor. I tell my kid to take a double look before entering an intersection 'cause some people are just plain crazy!
HE WAS SPEEDING!!! Stop making excuses for him.
Master of the Universe

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Nothing can stop these idiots who don't care about anything and drive. No traffic lights, no street lights, no HPD enforcement, nothing can stop a bad driver determined to kill and die. The only way to stay alive is to stay away from the streets and stay a home or walk to stores. Even walking might kill you with drivers speeding on the sidewalks. Too many bad people especially the ones on drugs.
TVMAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

We have many laws and probably more on the way which I refer to as 'common sense' laws. We would not have these laws except that we have stupid people who either don't care or don't get it. These laws will never be enforced except if the victims file a lawsuit. Until people make a conscious effort, stupid people will continue to commit stupid acts. People will die and some will be the innocents. If the accused lives, he will say how sorry he is to the victim's family but it's too late. If they really cared, they would tuck their egos into their pants and do the right thing.
Woody

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Pau wrote:
The question I have is why didn't the article include if the motorcycle victim was wearing a helmet? Just my opinion, but I think it is astonishing that all states do not have a mandatory helmet law.
At high speed the helmet would not help.
Mililani_Bob

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

kanehi wrote:
Surely you can't be serious. According to the report, the cyclist veered left to avoid a vehicle. In all likelihood, he came whipping around that car like a shot out of a canon, which wouldn't give either operator enough time for a proper response. In a situation like this, right of way becomes a moot point.
MY TWO CENTS

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

I sure hope the COPS ARE READING this they should go and start giving TICKETS TO THE SPEEDERS... in that area. The bikers, trying to blame the vehicle for the accident by saying "He had the right of way" brah when you go real fast, people driving will not have the time to SEE YOU COMING and REACT..... all these RICE BURNERS THINK THEY OWN THE ROAD.....
justamom

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

There are too many vehicles on this island! And there are too many drivers and pedestrians who both think the rules are for "everyone else" not them...
Have you ever driven in a shopping center parking lot?
People speed through them like they are on a freeway...
And pedestrians with children, mind you, just step out into the roadway with no concern for their or their children's safety, because "they have the right of way"....
Drivers speed up, just so others cannot cut into their lanes....or just speed because they want to....run stop signs, because it is too inconvenient for them to come to a full stop... cut over double solid lines, because, it is "inconvenient" to wait till it is legal
for them to change lanes....and of course there are those who think, drinking and driving is ok, only if they are doing it... not anyone else...because they "can handle"....Everyone's always in a rush. It may just be a rush to their graves....
I am not talking about criminals, these are everyday
Joe Smoes, who become reckless when behind the wheel...
or crossing the streets...I always tell my kids, "Whether driving or walking, I don't care if you think you have the right of way, follow the rules and even then, error on the side of caution, and if you are a passenger in a car whose driver is being reckless, tell them to let you out and either call home, or someone else to come get you... because what good is it, if you are dead right"....
When tragedy strikes, it is always so easy to criticize and blame and get on our holier than thou
soap box....but, until we ALL make that effort to be
responsible drivers and pedestrians, tragedies like this will unfortunately continue....
My condolences to the family and friends of the motorcyclist, and to the family of the injured in this tragic accident.
DUH

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Momi wrote:
It was the girl's fault, she killed an innocent person. She did not look before entering the intersection. It doesn't matter if the motorcycle was speeding, if she knew how to drive she would have looked and stopped, they teach that in kindergarten. Her parents are responsible since they were in the vehicle with her and they will lose everything in a law suit. No excuses she was at fault.
If the biker was going real fast I don't think that even YOU WOULD HAVE THE TIME TO REACT........THINK ABOUT IT.......... REMEMBER THE CRASH UNDER THE VIA DUCT??? BIKE KILLS DRIVER OF CAR...... HALF OF THE BIKE IN THE CAR????......

Since: Dec 09

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

How sad for all concerned. Please slow down.
Mililani_Bob

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Judged:

Pau wrote:
He broadsided a vehicle at high speed. In all likelihood, blunt force trauma to his body caused his demise and all the helmets in the world couldn't have saved him. That said, I'm in agreement with helmets for cyclists.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SuperFerry Haiku (Oct '07) 1 hr Pua gerbil perv 2,832
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon 5 hr District 1 Dumbass 51
Blood Thirsty Muslims 5 hr Francine 8
How Expensive is Living in Hawaii? 5 hr Guru 27
Obama BUGGED Out that LA Gufu Many Years Ago 5 hr Francine 4
PBN: Rainbow Drive-In expansion 7 hr Steve Kalbob 3
Casual sex in Shahdol, Umariya, Burhar & Anuppu... 8 hr Sameerlover 1

Search the Waipahu Forum:
•••
•••