Just 545 people are responsible for o...

Just 545 people are responsible for our woes - Hawaii Editorials

There are 36 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 17, 2009, titled Just 545 people are responsible for our woes - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

After reading Charlie Reese's "545 People," it has become scarily simple to explain the woes we have in our country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
enufalready

Wailuku, HI

#1 Sep 17, 2009
Interesting, but curious that there is no direct mention of the thousands of lobbyists for whom our government dances. Weapons manufacturers, nuclear power, big oil, finance corporations, drug companies ... it is the corporate power that wields power in this country as the medical insurance companies are demonstrating now as they manipulate the system to their benefit.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#2 Sep 17, 2009
"As Reese says, politicians are the only people who create problems and campaign against them"

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!

We need an experiment, send them all home for a year and see what happens.
Kaimuki Tom

Kahului, HI

#3 Sep 17, 2009
What a goofy essay. All our problems are due to politicans? Don't people get the politicians they deserve? If a representative becomes deaf to his/her constituents - why don't the people just vote him/her out of office? Duh...Seems ultimate responsibility lies with apathetic, ignorant electorate....

“No Free Speech Zones ”

Since: Jun 08

South Kona, brah

#4 Sep 17, 2009
Responsibility for OUR republic does not stop at the ballot box. To blame elected and judicial members of OUR government as THE problem ignores our own lack of active participation in this ongoing democratic experiment. If we're going to blame anyone start with ourselves.
We can barely get 50% of the eligible voters to come to the polls...we're the problem...we CAN also be the solution...go figure.
Kam

Kaunakakai, HI

#5 Sep 17, 2009
The problem also lies in the fact that they do not not have to live like the rest of us once they are in office. Different health care and retirement system than 'the people' and they believe they are above the law.
Pat

Aiea, HI

#6 Sep 17, 2009
Charley is one of my favorite writers. He speaks the truth! Term limits are a good beginning for Congress. The seniority system stifles change.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#7 Sep 17, 2009
Pat wrote:
Charley is one of my favorite writers. He speaks the truth! Term limits are a good beginning for Congress. The seniority system stifles change.
You do not need term limits per se, just limits on committees...they can serve on one for 4 years and lead one for 4 years then can NEVER serve or lead that one again. The entre pork system is based on them leading the others via their chairmanships, take that away and you take the first step to fixing the issue.
Mililani Opinion

Chicago, IL

#8 Sep 17, 2009
Finally, common sense!
Jerry Okamura

Hilo, HI

#9 Sep 17, 2009
I am generally in favor of term limits, but I cannot help but wonder, what good does it do in the end? As long as these people are driven by their ideology, then isn't it their ideology that is the problem regardless of who they are?
sicknfntired

Waianae, HI

#10 Sep 17, 2009
Not only do we need term limits, we need real laws; laws with teeth that actually punish politicians and the likes for the BS they've been getting away with for years! Not laws that are more full of loopholes than swiss cheese; laws that are open to interpitation; "oh, the way I understood the law... I didn't think I was doing anything wrong" excuse has to go! They are suppose to be held to a higher standard and should be punished likewise!
taxpayer

San Diego, CA

#11 Sep 17, 2009
term limits make too much sense...it'll never pass...it should be proposed in a complicated, earmarked, cleverly disguised, non related bill, so it can pass...
Mind your own business

Ewa Beach, HI

#12 Sep 17, 2009
Kaimuki Tom wrote:
What a goofy essay. All our problems are due to politicans? Don't people get the politicians they deserve? If a representative becomes deaf to his/her constituents - why don't the people just vote him/her out of office? Duh...Seems ultimate responsibility lies with apathetic, ignorant electorate....
I totally agree! How many voting citizens actually passed US history in high school? People, your rights don't end at the voting booths. Even private citizens can present bills to the legislature, not just politicians. Lobbying is not exclusive to big corporations, and how many people actually petition their congressman about key issues that pertain to their livelihood? While the average citizen is clipping coupons and buying compact fuel-efficient cars to save a couple of cents here and there, their apathy allows those in power to move trillions of our taxpayer dollars to satisfy special interest groups. Wake up people! Change starts with yourself. There would be no need to impose term limits if the constituents voted the corrupt politicians out of office at the polls. Know your power.
devilsinthemedia

San Diego, CA

#13 Sep 17, 2009
Kaimuki Tom wrote:
Alas!! You have the politicians ....... and then you have the 5th column media ..... who make up the so called news to suit their propaganda agendas ..... could this be why the public is so stupid when they vote?? Huh!!!!!????? Todays news agenda is: Let's race bait the public!!!!! Yeah you tell'm Jimmy!!!!!(somebody needs to check his meds dosages for him)
Kalihi Girl

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 17, 2009
I'm all for term limits, too. I think voters in Hawaii don't vote because nothing gets done. People mistrust government more and more. And when Hawaii votes, they vote the same old people in (e.g., Ann Kobayashi). Nothing is going to change the federal government either. You know they won't pass term limits. I LOVE AMERICA -- but that's politics!
transformation

Honolulu, HI

#16 Sep 17, 2009
Colleen Hanabusa came out of Wainae and now has worked herself to become the Senate President of the Hawaii State legislature. Her ideas of helping the little people has changed to now thinking to reach the office in Congress. This transition is a complete makeover. This is a typical example of the 545.
quebert

Haubstadt, IN

#17 Sep 17, 2009
Hey just 28 boxes of ammo would leave enough over for every governor too.
Joe L Washington State

United States

#18 Sep 17, 2009
I agree with the writer, the longer they are in office the more corrupt they get. They become so powerful they forget who they are and are above the LAW! how many times have they broken the law and nothing happens, if you or I as ordinary citizens did that, they would lock us up and trow away the key.
It is us as taxpayers and voters who should have the power to say vote them out of office and give them all term limits like the president.
sue mason

Honolulu, HI

#19 Sep 17, 2009
You wonder why there was an effort to suppress a move toward holding a Constitutional Convention? Term limits would definitely have been one of the topics for discussion.
Kane

United States

#20 Sep 17, 2009
Right ON !

Mahalo Bruddah !
Bunch of dingdongs

Ewa Beach, HI

#21 Sep 17, 2009
Maybe more of you should run for office and see how well you do, rather than complain about those who represent us. No one said consensus was pretty. But at least in this country Democrats and Republicans don't treat each other like the Hutus and the Tutsis in Rwanda. Oh wait, I forgot about the KKK...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Take a knee and YOURE FIRED! 4 hr District 1 4
Joe BALLS Has Always Been A Big Fat LIAR (Jul '15) 9 hr We ALL love POTU... 26
Topix Terms of Service 12 hr District 1 1
Then why are flags made of cloth 17 hr District 1 2
The History of Flip Flopper Trump 22 hr Hawn Punch 8
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 23 hr Leeward Outlier 2,687
Yuk yuk yuk yuk (Apr '15) Sat L Beagle Snoopy 98

Waipahu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance