State morally obligated to help Micro...

State morally obligated to help Micronesians - Hawaii Editorials

There are 123 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 1, 2009, titled State morally obligated to help Micronesians - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

When Gov. Linda Lingle proposed a new health care program for Micronesians as a cost-cutting measure, migrants from the Compact nations saw the action as a death sentence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

pele

Aspen, CO

#96 Sep 2, 2009
Hawaii is broke.

America is broke.

No money.

No more.
Unreal

Honolulu, HI

#97 Sep 2, 2009
Lefty wrote:
What difference does it make if the State or the Federal Government pays. The funds come from the same source. I'm as compassionate as the next guy, but as a taxpayer, I want to see some kind of limitation on this largesse. Does this free ride at my and my fellow taxpayers' expense go on indefinitely, generation after generation? At what point do the recipients of this jackpot become morally responsible for themselves?
At last an articulate post. I truely agree, the feds take about 240 for taxes every two weeks from me and the state about 180 I pay taxes for the food, gas and clothing I buy. I don't hate Micros heck my supervisor is from micronesia and I am greatful for this person who has taught me so much.I think people are resentiweng the fact that we as a nation a state are going through hard economic times but there is a group of people who seem to have it all. BTW not true.

Since: Jan 09

Honolulu

#98 Sep 2, 2009
ETA136 wrote:
Are the Micronesians required to prove they were damaged by the bomb tests in order to receive the free benefits? I feel that if there's no evidence of damage to their health, the benefits should be denied. Further, if genetic issues resulted from the bomb tests in certain individuals, they must be prohibited from having offspring and submit to sterilization before benefits are granted. Our future generations of taxpayers should not be forced to provide for the Micronesians in perpetuity. Our moral obligation is to preserve and perpetuate our own American/Hawaii citizens and taxpayers... not the Micronesians.
My father was a Naval officer/scientist on board a naval ship that went into the waters where the last hydrogen bomb was dropped near Enewetak. The plane that dropped the bomb mised the target completely. Never-the-less, they still collected samples for testing and my father went into the water and breathed the air. He has suffered no ill effects from the experience and stopped allowing the military to do periodic tests on him many years ago. I and all of my siblings were born afterwards. None of us have any birth defects or illnesses nor do our children. I don't doubt that toxic materials cause serious health complications, but I don't think that all of the Micronesians' health problems are a result of hydrogen bomb testing.
frusttrated

United States

#99 Sep 3, 2009
This is a ridiculous ploy to try to get us to sympathize with the Micronesians who are a drain to our economy. How long should we "US citizens and residents of Hawaii" suffer a mistake that was made by our military and their leaders? How long are they going to continue to play this sympathy card while taking our state money and reproducing exponentially with their hands out waiting for food stamps and free housing and now medical services that they feel they are "entitled" to. Last I checked, these people can get jobs without even needing green cards or work visas. And yet I don't see them working. Work and get healthcare benefits like the rest of us who put into the system.
frustrated

United States

#100 Sep 3, 2009
No they are not required to prove that their health problems were related to the bombing. They not only get medical, but they get food stamps and public housing which prevents impoverished US citizens from receiving the benefits much needed to overcome tough economic hardships. US citizens should be priority over these people, but they are not! Micronesians are taking over Hawaii and draining our economy. They come and go as they please and many commit crimes but are not deported. They choose not to work and choose to pretend they don't understand our laws or English except when they need to fill out forms to receive our taxpaying dollars or when they know situations like this occur where we might remove benefits from them. Magically they understand and speak English! What a miracle!
kaet

Kihei, HI

#101 Sep 3, 2009
HJohnson wrote:
<quoted text>
My father was a Naval officer/scientist on board a naval ship that went into the waters where the last hydrogen bomb was dropped near Enewetak. The plane that dropped the bomb mised the target completely. Never-the-less, they still collected samples for testing and my father went into the water and breathed the air. He has suffered no ill effects from the experience and stopped allowing the military to do periodic tests on him many years ago. I and all of my siblings were born afterwards. None of us have any birth defects or illnesses nor do our children. I don't doubt that toxic materials cause serious health complications, but I don't think that all of the Micronesians' health problems are a result of hydrogen bomb testing.
Glad you're all healthy, but I don't think that's the same as living in a toxic environment for years and years.

Honolulu

#102 Sep 3, 2009
kaet wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you're all healthy, but I don't think that's the same as living in a toxic environment for years and years.
Then tell why it is okay for us to eat the fish? Costco has been selling fish caught in Micronesian waters for years. Shouldn't that be deemed unsafe to consume? I also went to school with many Micronesians and they were fine in the 70's and 80's and are still doing well. I know of Americans who went down to Pohnpei and built a small hotel, raised their kids there and they are well. I think that Hawaii doesn't have the means to support the entire Micronesian population. It is more than health care. There is housing, social services, drug use and criminal activity adding to problem. All of that costs taxpayers millions of dollars. I know of people with diabetes and kidney failure who can hold down a job for medical benefits. Thousands of people here have cancer and do the same. I don't see why they, many of them, can't do the same.
Da Gov

Honolulu, HI

#103 Sep 3, 2009
Hawaii Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right! When Obama's federal administration limits the federal subsidies/reimbursements for these "so-called impacted immigrants", the Hawaii taxpayers must bear an enormous burden, which in my opinion is unfair to the Hawaii taxpayers. If I were the Governor of Hawaii, I would not hesitate to bring class-action lawsuits on behalf of the Hawaii taxpayers against the federal administration including the Justice Department, etc. for breach of contract and wrongful negligence and harm to the taxpayers of Hawaii.
Let's get rid of all the useless tax sucking Maoris!!!
Wait....we can't get rid of them....they were in these islands first....oh well....next plan...

Since: Feb 08

Honolulu, HI

#104 Sep 3, 2009
Does anyone have a solution for stopping the U.S. Congress from imposing this insane guilt trip on Hawaii? They need to sunset the law.
hardcore

Walnut Creek, CA

#105 Sep 3, 2009
We have lots of trees for them to live
hardcore

Walnut Creek, CA

#106 Sep 3, 2009
or KPT (same thing)
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#107 Sep 3, 2009
frustrated wrote:
No they are not required to prove that their health problems were related to the bombing. They not only get medical, but they get food stamps and public housing which prevents impoverished US citizens from receiving the benefits much needed to overcome tough economic hardships. US citizens should be priority over these people, but they are not! Micronesians are taking over Hawaii and draining our economy. They come and go as they please and many commit crimes but are not deported. They choose not to work and choose to pretend they don't understand our laws or English except when they need to fill out forms to receive our taxpaying dollars or when they know situations like this occur where we might remove benefits from them. Magically they understand and speak English! What a miracle!
Not only that, they go to the head of the line for all services. They go ahead of people who have been waiting years for Section 8.
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#108 Sep 3, 2009
Von wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Only Sam's Club. Not Costco. Wal Mart says their store is not that kind of store to take food stamps, but what they won't tell you is that half of their workers are on Food Stamps.
aloha
Those on food stamps do NOT care about cost or they would not shop at 7-11. One wanted to sell me $20 worth for $10.

But I am beginning to worry about cleanliness of shoping at Costco. I noticed micros place FITHY blankets in the carts and kids ride around in them. Plus one distracts clerk and the others grab handfulls of products and run back where the larger group is waiting with several more carts.

Plus they spit. I have seen packages with spit on them. We become closer to third world status daily.

Since: Oct 08

Honolulu, HI

#109 Sep 3, 2009
HJohnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, not all of the Micronesians' health problems are caused by radiation, but some of them are. Your father and family were lucky. If you doubt this, there is plenty of research out there about the deleterious effects of radiation.

Honolulu

#110 Sep 3, 2009
manoamakaainana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, not all of the Micronesians' health problems are caused by radiation, but some of them are. Your father and family were lucky. If you doubt this, there is plenty of research out there about the deleterious effects of radiation.
People in general are victims of States and what happened in Micronesia was because of negotiations that may have benefited a few, but caused the majority to suffer. We, the people of Hawaii, by no fault of our own are also victims of States. We all have our tragedies and many of us deal with it on our own. I have lived here all of my life and have never seen such a large group of people come here as dependants like the Micronesians. Can I go there and buy land? Can I live off the good graces of their government? I doubt it. I can't buy land in Samoa but Samoans can buy land in Hawaii. This is not a two way street. Whatever plans and agreements the higher ups of governments make between one another are done without taking anyone into consideration. You may not like me for this but I don't feel one bit sorry for them. I also do not believe that health care is a right. You get what you pay for. People have to pull their weight and most of those people can but don't want to nor need to because the government is footing the bill I disagree one hundred percent. This government doesn't give a daaamn if I drop dead tomorrow because I don't have health insurance. They only want socialized medicine to sucker people into voting for them.

However you cut it up and serve it to me, it is socialized living, and I don't like socialized living.
bubulaia

Honolulu, HI

#111 Sep 4, 2009
O ba, first da government take over da aina now da government like dump da micro opala ovah hea.
Maybe das why we became da 50th dumping state,
Cuz too cold to send dem to Alaska?
DADDY LAU

AOL

#112 Sep 4, 2009
No need worry!!!!!!!!!
Harmony

Honolulu, HI

#113 Oct 21, 2009
Why can't we just send all the Micronesians back?-- Is probably what you're thinking. Well, how about this? The U.S. conducted nuclear testing in the waters which made many of the islands uninhabitable. Coconut trees dead, fish dead, water polluted, people deformed, cultures lost, families forced to leave their homes. You tell me.. what's fair?
Lori

Manteca, CA

#116 Mar 3, 2011
HJohnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then tell why it is okay for us to eat the fish? Costco has been selling fish caught in Micronesian waters for years. Shouldn't that be deemed unsafe to consume? I also went to school with many Micronesians and they were fine in the 70's and 80's and are still doing well. I know of Americans who went down to Pohnpei and built a small hotel, raised their kids there and they are well. I think that Hawaii doesn't have the means to support the entire Micronesian population. It is more than health care. There is housing, social services, drug use and criminal activity adding to problem. All of that costs taxpayers millions of dollars. I know of people with diabetes and kidney failure who can hold down a job for medical benefits. Thousands of people here have cancer and do the same. I don't see why they, many of them, can't do the same.
I am from Pohnpei so I would like to reply to this comment. The only island nation suffering from this radiation is the Republic of the Marshall Islands. I'm not sure what percentage of their population is affected. My husband and I work in the mainland and I think we both pay way too much taxes, just like you all do. I mean, we need all that money that Uncle Sam takes from us, right? I am in no way supportive of Micros living on Welfare in the U.S. To me, if you can't support yourself, please go back to your home island. Heck, I think the federal government should scrap the welfare system. The state of Hawaii may want to start limiting how much welfare checks they give these people and also limit their lease terms in the low income housing. They could say, "after 12 months, if you don't find housing and can't support yourselves, you need to go back to your island".(Just an example) Just put some policies in place....And yes, you can live on Pohnpei and all the other islands and make a fine living...you may not have big box stores to visit, but hey...You can also live in the Marshall islands, I know a friend who moved there with his kid and wife. So yeah, I think they are quilting the American government into helping them. I'm pretty sure not everybody who claim illness due to radiation are actually ill due to radiation effects.
sickntired

Spanaway, WA

#119 Jun 25, 2011
They sleep all day. Are up all night. The kids don't go to school. This private all over the exterior of the rental unit they occupy...what can we do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 3 hr Waikiki BROWN WATER 1,136
Why are Hawaii people so stupid? (Jan '11) 12 hr Joe Balls 805
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 15 hr Princess Hey 4,093
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 15 hr Princess Hey 342
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 15 hr District 1 290
Yuk yuk yuk yuk (Apr '15) 18 hr Lil Grey Mare 64
Har har har har (Apr '14) 22 hr Cheetos 143

Waipahu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance