State morally obligated to help Micronesians - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

When Gov. Linda Lingle proposed a new health care program for Micronesians as a cost-cutting measure, migrants from the Compact nations saw the action as a death sentence.
Comments
21 - 40 of 123 Comments Last updated Mar 27, 2013
Jerry Okamura

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

If the state has an obligation, what is the obligation of the federal government?
Sen Hatch

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

I propose we build a fence around their islands to keep them from slipping into the U.S.
rtkona

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Isn't the real question why the Federal government won't pay on the deal it made with the Micros? Why should the State of Hawaii have to pay? The Micros have to go to the Federal government NOW to solve this, and not wait until the LAST minute to hope someone will pull their cajones out of the fire. Don't tell me the churches that guide them can't find the Federal building.
Kam

Kaunakakai, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Pretty soon everyone on the planet will be a victim of something and then who is going to pay.
Pualani

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

satch7 wrote:
The State is NOT morally obligated to help the Micronesians. It is the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that is not only morally obligated but should be held responsible for the plight of the Micronesians as they created this compact and were responsible for many of the health problems stemming from the experiement A-bomb explosions in the area decades ago resulting in many of the medical illnesses of these people. They should be providing the financial assistance to the state in helping these people in the economic, health, and social adjustment in our state. But Obama and Congress have left it to the states which have little or no monies to provide this assistance.
But, didn't the US government have to get permission from the Micronesian government to drop those bombs? The US government has paid out millions of dollars to the Micronesian government so why can't they set up their own health care?
Pat

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

The Micronesians were used as guinea pigs by a racist American Gov. for nuclear testing.The American Gov. needs to honor its treaties now.
Von

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Leeward Lolo wrote:
I have had health insurance my entire life, either through employment or I PAY FOR IT MYSELF.
Never had I had dental, pay for that myself.
But I see these micros will receive dental free also. More lovely silver teeth.
What's wrong here????
There is nothing at all wrong here.

The state is obligated to give these people free dental because the state gives them free food and so naturally they must have perfect teeth in order to eat all that free food up or the state could be liable.

It goes hand in hand if the state gives them free food then the state is obliged to make sure they have good teeth in order to eat it all up with. None of them are under 300 lbs so the system is working very well. So I don't see anything wrong, do you?

They also can shop at Sam's club with their food stamps at the same time the business owners shop. Did you know that? You can spot them very easily though because the business owners are all skinny while none of these people are less than 300 lbs.

Aloha!
maleko

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

How hard would it be to place limits on the numbers that are allowed to stay here? Why does Hawaii have to bear the major brunt of this expense just because we are closer. Set a limit and enforce it. Once the limit has been reached, these folks need to continue to another state or return home.
Hawaii is morally obligated to take care of it's own population first.
Encumbering our state with a federal obligation takes away from the people who were born here. They deserve to be first priority.
reporting

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

I don't have much to say about this besides that it should be Federally funded or military funded, and occurring on their own soil. Why bring them here to live off our tax dollars when we could just fly some military doctors in training down there on a type of internship? Another example of the many things that don't make sense. For the state to pay 90% of it is just wrong, at the most it should be Fed 45%, military 45%, and state 10%.
go figure

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Von wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing at all wrong here.
They also can shop at Sam's club with their food stamps at the same time the business owners shop. Did you know that? You can spot them very easily though because the business owners are all skinny while none of these people are less than 300 lbs.
Aloha!
Costco take food stamps?
realist

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Why are you (Star Bulletin) not calling out the FEDS and our Senators and Representatives for their failures in this matter? It was Bill Clinton who kicked them (Micronesians) out of Medicare. It is our own Inouye, Akaka, Abercrombie, and Hirono who have done zip to pay the state for education and health expenses. Come on!! Get your facts correct. Hawaii has zero responsiblity here and it is the FEDS who have dropped the ball. These people should be sitting in the offices of Inouye!
Da Gov

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

This is all Obama's fault, he should not have tested nuclear weapons in the Gilbert Islands and now we have all these Maoris here and I would not have to use precious tax dollars taking care of them.

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

This is nothing. Wait to see the machinations over money when Obamacare is in force.
Really

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Really? It is the state's moral obligation to pay these funds until the feds come up with something? Keep in mind that the State of Hawai`i did not exist when these bombs were dropped. The bomb dropping tests were executed by the federal government, not by any states. Why, then, should any state be obligated to pay such funds and then expect a reimbursement from the federal government which will likely not come for years if it comes at all? Look at the cash for clunkers situation. Hardly any car dealerships have received their money from the feds for the cars they sold, and the paperwork for each car is more than 20 pages. Is this the same federal government we should trust to reimburse our state?
No, the federal governemnt needs to directly pay for the dialysis and chemotherapy. If the state does, we will never get the money back.
The state has NO MORAL OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER to pay for these peoples' medical insurance, let alone the PUBLIC. It's fine if people want to donate, but the state should not appeal to us and make any of us feel responsible for providing the funds. That is insanity.
maile

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

HJohnson wrote:
Why don't all of these people have jobs? If they are employed 20 hours per week minimum, they have health care benefits offered by the employer. They look young enough to be working. Anyone 65 and older or disabled qualify for Medicare and dialysis is covered.
Why work when they can collect welfare, medical, financial aid which takes away from HAWAII residents!
GIVE, GIVE, GIVE; then we wonder why we're faced with this HUGE DEFICIT??
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Joe More wrote:
First, the State is not morally obligated. I guess you could argue its a FEDERAL obligation since the US govt did the nuclear testing, but there's no reason why Hawaii tax payers should carry the financial weight of this 'moral obligation.'
Second, the vast majority most of the Micronesian population are a bunch of free-loading crooks. Victims my ****. Look at the crime statistics. They lead the way in rape, theft, and violent crime per capita. They have come to Hawaii to seemingly exercise their own immoral revenge for the immoral crime done to them via the nuclear testing. So, lets call it even. If they came to Hawaii and acted as good, contributing citizens maybe we could give a little back to them. But they've demonstrated that they only want to take, take, take...and rape, steal, stab.
Well, from the Hawaiian perspective, that's what the Americans did...so give them a chance, perhaps the nuclear detonations caused a super-genius mutant effect and they will soon take over the state.....shudder, shudder...but you offer the same feelings that were thrown upon those dangerous Filipno machete wielding no white woman or child is safe in Hawaii back in the 20's, or those Black people are only good for picking cotton or being thrown into jail type of mainland attitudes.

Look....different groups come into communities at different times in the history of the community, and what makes them different makes them objects of mistrust and alienation (I'm not talking about the TV show...but close).

I was raised on the mainland, and have been here for a number of years. I see no difference between the people of the east side or the west side, and I certainly see no differences between each individual group.You are Hawaii residents.

You wanna really know what the people where I come from think of your groups? Well, according to my siblings, the Hawaiians and the Samoans look like a bunch of Puerto Ricans, and the Asians on the island are all Chinese.

:)

I want you to think about it anyway.
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

If any of you have the time, check out the history and demographics of Washington Heights in Manhattan.

It might shed a light on your current issues with these people.
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Leeward Lolo wrote:
<quoted text>
If we could ship them out there should be room for all the homeless who got pushed aside when micros went to the front of the line for housing, etc.
...and what are your feelings on "The Jewish Question?"
WSS

Kula, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

If I move to Micronesia, am I entitled to medical benefits?
Bandisa

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Why is it that the state of Hawaii has to take care of this problem? If free medical can be applied to the Micronesians, how come we have to pay our own medical. If they can have free dental, everybody has to get free dental. They are allowed to get all the benefits, and the rest of us are working so hard to get by. Unreal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 1 hr Terry 61,885
how does everyday locals afford to live there 3 hr oahu 1
"Nancy Chanco..ARRESTED! (in ChinaTown)" (Mar '08) 4 hr Guru 169
SuperFerry Haiku (Oct '07) 6 hr Har har har har 2,830
Body Discovered with Stab Wounds (Nov '10) 7 hr Yup 35
JB stop telling Lies about Liberals and we will... 9 hr Guru 4
How Expensive is Living in Hawaii? 13 hr A proxy 21

Search the Waipahu Forum:
•••
•••