Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Nov 25, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Haleakala

Kapolei, HI

#1 Mar 13, 2008
I pose another question to all you local cooks out there, the one that will define you in the eyes of others .... Aloha, Kikkoman or Yamasa ? Let the voting begin.... Remember Kikkoman and Yamasa have been made since the 1600's
helen

Medford, OR

#2 Mar 13, 2008
Haleakala wrote:
I pose another question to all you local cooks out there, the one that will define you in the eyes of others .... Aloha, Kikkoman or Yamasa ? Let the voting begin.... Remember Kikkoman and Yamasa have been made since the 1600's
A

ALOHA for me, thanks!!!! Irks me here in Oregon when people don't know what shoyu is........"oh you mean soy sauce, or it's even been called "bug juice"..........eeeeeeek!

“Honor your ancestors”

Since: Feb 08

Kaimuki, Keaukaha/Hilo, Kaupo

#3 Mar 13, 2008
Aloha Shoyu for me ,too... low salt

I pack gallons of it in my suitcases when I come back from vacation or when my folks come visit me they know to bring more.:)

My recipes for local food just do not taste the same if I use something else.
Surfrider

Kilauea, HI

#4 Mar 13, 2008
Aloha is not a soy sauce, rather a chemical blend.
Kikkoman and Yamasa are soy sauce, made from the soy bean.
Just like Redondo's call's their's winners, not weiners because of the composition requirements by law.
Anyway, my vote for best soy sauce is Kikkoman.
Best shoyu, Aloha!!
Cat Manapua

Saint George, UT

#5 Mar 13, 2008
Yamasa low sodium. Aloha's a tad too sweet for me except in my teriyaki sauce recipe. Kikkoman's good but I like the smoothness of Yamasa better especially for delicate stuff like nigiri sushi. The low sodium part is a feeble nod to healthier eating.
Bobby Archer

Kaneohe, HI

#6 Mar 13, 2008
helen wrote:
<quoted text>A
ALOHA for me, thanks!!!! Irks me here in Oregon when people don't know what shoyu is........"oh you mean soy sauce, or it's even been called "bug juice"..........eeeeeeek!
Because the entire mainland calls it soy sauce. The word "shoyu" is a version of the Japanese word, used in Japan and Hawaii only.
Mango

Kapaa, HI

#7 Mar 13, 2008
ALOHA Shoyu is best.
Makiki Man

United States

#8 Mar 13, 2008
Club Shoyu from Hilo is the best local shoyu. Yamasa low sodium is the best Japanese soy sauce.
otoko

Honolulu, HI

#9 Mar 13, 2008
Aroha wa ichiban desu! Itadakimasu.
hajime

Honolulu, HI

#10 Mar 13, 2008
We use both Kikkoman and Aloha at our house, Aloha for cooking and Kikkoman on the table. For our tastes, Kikkoman seems a tad too karai when cooking.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11 Mar 13, 2008
Aloha- Low Salt and Kikkoman!! I love Kikkoman on my sushi even though it is Salty, it gives it the kick!! Hmmm making me ono for go eat now!!

“in all things be pono, aloha”

Since: Aug 07

moloka'I, hawaii

#12 Mar 13, 2008
good to know! hubby likes tamari sauce. he says it's the most natural.
Austenfan

Laie, HI

#14 Mar 13, 2008
alohagirl wrote:
Aloha Shoyu for me ,too... low salt
I pack gallons of it in my suitcases when I come back from vacation or when my folks come visit me they know to bring more.:)
My recipes for local food just do not taste the same if I use something else.
how do you pack it, exactly? I'd like to bring some on our next trip to the mainland. thank you.
Marauder

Lahaina, HI

#15 Mar 13, 2008
Aloha, regular and low salt.

Honolulu, HI

#16 Mar 13, 2008
Makiki Man wrote:
Club Shoyu from Hilo is the best local shoyu. Yamasa low sodium is the best Japanese soy sauce.
I never tried Club Shoyu, but will look for it when my Aloha low salt runs out. For now, I think Aloha low salt is best shoyu and agree that Yamasa low sodium is the best Japanese soy sauce.
AMG SL55

Las Vegas, NV

#19 Mar 13, 2008
I like my shoyu salty so I prefer kikkoman.
Hamster

Waipahu, HI

#20 Mar 13, 2008
Hehehe!!! We are one of those families that try to have all 3 if possible. Aloha on the table and Kikkoman and Yamasa for the cooking. Remember that is if and when possible. But all in all, whichever we can afford in this day and age of $4.00 gasoline.

“American”

Makawao

#21 Mar 13, 2008
Japanee kine!

“Eschew Obfuscation”

Since: Dec 07

Honolulu, HI

#22 Mar 13, 2008
Yamasa is my favorite as it has a depth the others don't. It's a lot more earthy and seems to have a truer soy bean flavor.

Aloha and Kikkoman are more Americanized or localized, IMHO. I find Aloha too sweet but both remind me of soy taste, rather than taste like soy taste. I'd put Aloha second and Kikkoman third.

Aloha kicks @$$ on the McDonald's PSER platter tho!
hanakokolele

Honolulu, HI

#23 Mar 13, 2008
Yamasa...;)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are the Portuguese so rude? (Jun '10) 2 hr J Seagull 4 158
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 2 hr Ivan 338
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 5 hr Guru 61,969
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon 6 hr Jim 140
The characteristics of a LOSER 7 hr Hawaii rent prices 9
rents in hawaii 7 hr Hawaii rentals 1
642-243 Exam braindumps in PDF for share 10 hr passokay123 1
•••
•••
Waipahu Dating