Filipino comfort food restaurant expanding - Hawaii Business

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Max's of Manila is expanding to Iwilei, after the Philippine-based chain established its first Hawaii restaurant in March 2006.
Comments
1 - 20 of 73 Comments Last updated Jan 25, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Barry O

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Oct 13, 2009
The food sucks!

The fried chicken is the worst item on the menu. The meat is dry and the skin is soggy. It shouldn't even be called fried chicken.

Everytime I have to go to a party there, I eat first.
RETIRED COOK

Waipahu, HI

#3 Oct 13, 2009
MR. CHEF I THINK YOU SHOULDN'T FREE COOK YOUR CHICKEN. OUR FIRST DINNER AT WAIPAHU MAX, MY DAUGTHER ORDER FRIED CHICKEN. IT SOUND GOOD WHEN YOU READ HOW THE CHICKEN BEEN PREP. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO OUR TABLE THE FRIED CHICKEN GREASY. AN EXPERIENCED COOK CAN TELL THE CHICKEN HAS BEEN DEEP FRIED TWICE PRIOR SERVING TO THE CUSTOMER. IT'S REALLY GREASY. MY DAUGHTER DID NOT EAT THE CHICKEN. MR CHEF YOUR OPTION IS TO SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT.

Since: Oct 08

Kailua, HI

#4 Oct 13, 2009
Balut? Puto? Bibinca? nilagang saging <saba>? Halo halo <siyempre>?, Utak ng Unggoy? and those sesame seed cakes that taste like smoke?

Joe Americano!

Pedro Pinoy!
kaet

Honolulu, HI

#5 Oct 13, 2009
Barry O wrote:
The food sucks!
The fried chicken is the worst item on the menu. The meat is dry and the skin is soggy. It shouldn't even be called fried chicken.
Everytime I have to go to a party there, I eat first.
Maybe that's how Filipinos like it.
Just the Facts - Man

Honolulu, HI

#6 Oct 13, 2009
Max's Chicken is great. I've eaten at several Max's restaurants including the original in QC and the one in Waipahu. I've never experienced "soggy" skin. Always, light and crisp!

Now, would someone please get a franchise to open Jollibee and Chow King! When I get off the plane in Manila my first stop is always at Chow King for some Beef Noodles and Siapao Asado!

Salamat.
Bob

United States

#7 Oct 13, 2009
I think the food is great but they have the worst customer service. Most filipino restaurant or eateries have really bad service especially if you dont speak the language.
Common Man

Pearl City, HI

#9 Oct 13, 2009
Chicken should be cooked like the fried chicken in Manila - very tasty.
Manang Biday

Glendale, CA

#10 Oct 13, 2009
Okole Maluna wrote:
How about the Black Dog Cafe in Kalihi????????
Oh stop it already. If there are problems with the present Max and their cooking and service, they should be submitted to the management company so that they can improve whatever it is that people are complaining about. Salamat po.
ESPI

Aiea, HI

#14 Oct 13, 2009
Starting Another makes for the 1st MAX to be successful.

Creating More Jobs!!! that's Great!!
sbc packer

Pearl City, HI

#17 Oct 13, 2009
they serve chicken nut bread?
Attitude

Honolulu, HI

#18 Oct 13, 2009
Good food but POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. The waiters and waitresses don't serve water unless you ask and they are too snobbish. They treat non-Filipinos well but when they see you are Filipinos like them, they serve you with no smile and enthusiasm at all. I say re-train those workers in Waipahu first before opening a second branch in Honolulu.
Bball Fan

Honolulu, HI

#20 Oct 13, 2009
Yummy. Salamat!!
Babes

Wahiawa, HI

#22 Oct 13, 2009
A friend first took me to Max's of Manila in Waipahu and the fried chicken was exceptional! The service was a little slow but the food was well worth it.
pinakbet

Hilo, HI

#23 Oct 13, 2009
Aysos! Da pood is no good. I dunno wer dey pind da cook, but i tell you dey no can cook pilipino pood. Da customer service sux big balls too. I only leave da waitress 15 cents por tip, no more. Max must be haole married to the flip lady dat no can cook. Da waitreses tink dey all dat. AYYSOS Manang ditoy, you look like monkey with long hair.
Doug DeLima

Honolulu, HI

#24 Oct 13, 2009
Nice wikipedia research you did, Erika. How about the Harvard-educated Filipina doctor who popularized monkey meat in the Philippines?

Wait, I think that's Fe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Filipino...

Erika Engle wrote:

Max's was established in Quezon City in the Philippines in 1945 when Maximo Gimenez, a Stanford-educated Filipino teacher, opened a cafe with encouragement from friends who were American soldiers.
Kutchinta

Kapolei, HI

#25 Oct 14, 2009
I agree, the service there really sucks. They give you your food and then they disappear. they don't come around to ask if you need anything else. And that guy named Glo, he's so frickin' stuck up. Their chicken is the worst. I'd prefer costco chicken over their anytime.
ilokana

Kapolei, HI

#26 Oct 14, 2009
Have you guys ever noticed how small the portions are? If you like ilokano foods, you're better off at Elena's or try Dillingham Cafe if you live in the Kalihi area. Max's is more for the Tagalog taste - the high makamaka's. Dont ever go Golden Coin in Wahiawa though, they're 10 times worst than Max. They're taking your order and they're not even looking at you. They telling inday to go do something else, then they turn back to you so you could repeat your order coz she wasn't listening in the first place. And this is not the worker - da's the manager doing it herself.
Mike

United States

#27 Oct 14, 2009
No worry. They don't serve dog meat.
Earl

Las Cruces, NM

#28 Oct 14, 2009
What is comfort food ? Food that doesn't give you gas ?
zoinks

Honolulu, HI

#29 Oct 14, 2009
Just the Facts - Man wrote:
When I get off the plane in Manila my first stop is always at Chow King for some Beef Noodles and Siapao Asado!
Salamat.
Hmmmm, mine is always to locate Efren Reyes to pay my respects to the master...then food!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are the Portuguese so rude? (Jun '10) 3 hr J Seagull 4 158
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 4 hr Ivan 338
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 7 hr Guru 61,969
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon 8 hr Jim 140
The characteristics of a LOSER 9 hr Hawaii rent prices 9
rents in hawaii 9 hr Hawaii rentals 1
642-243 Exam braindumps in PDF for share 12 hr passokay123 1
•••
•••
Waipahu Dating