Fireworks ban long overdue - Hawaii E...

Fireworks ban long overdue - Hawaii Editorials

There are 56 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 7, 2010, titled Fireworks ban long overdue - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Hawaii survived its ninth consecutive New Year's Eve without deaths or major injuries from personal fireworks, but the reverberations continue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

leeward lolo

Elgin, IL

#22 Jan 7, 2010
Jerry Okamura wrote:
Can you support the position of this editorial, if you place a very high value on our freedoms and liberty, or can you only support this position, "if" you do not put a very high value on our freedoms and liberty? What does it say about how important the people who wrote this editorial feel about our freedoms, or our liberty?
So the ACLU arrives.
Are you still supporting the crazy bongo player who pounds on the drum until 4 am every night adjacent to a hotel in Waikiki keeping residents awake and driving tourists away.
The ACLU claimed he had a right to "express himself."
GET THIS - The nut was arrested for disturbing the peace playing a saxophone, ACLU got him a settlement paid for by taxpayers.

You nuts will not win this one as these fireworks are banned by federal law.
Watson

AOL

#23 Jan 7, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
chief of what?--- internet noise
the majority of fireworks being blasted outside of the time periods are being done by juveniles who cannot be paraded by your scheme
before you start calling HPD bozos, why don't you shut off your computer and make real change in your community
calling out our hard-working cops is solving nothing
There are several things wrong with your post.

First, you struggle with punctuation, vocabulary and forming complete sentences. You completely misused the word "paraded." Let's hope you are not a police officer yourself.

Second, Mr. Holmes was, in fact, trying to make a real change in the community by suggesting a simple strategy for enforcing fireworks laws. Since HPD can't figure this out by themselves, he was doing everyone a big favor.

Third, if the cops really were "hard-working", as you describe them, then they would have figured out a way to fight illegal fireworks without Mr. Holmes having to tell them how.
Doggie

Honolulu, HI

#24 Jan 7, 2010
Jerry Okamura wrote:
Can you support the position of this editorial, if you place a very high value on our freedoms and liberty, or can you only support this position, "if" you do not put a very high value on our freedoms and liberty? What does it say about how important the people who wrote this editorial feel about our freedoms, or our liberty?
Just because this is a free country, doesn't give you the right to blow things up! dumbazz! That's called terrorism. Remember Oklahoma City Federal Building????
Onlooker

Kamuela, HI

#25 Jan 7, 2010
Your editorial was accurate except for one point. It stated that up till now there have been no 'major injuries' from fireworks; however, the 2 young children who were severely burned when their parents left them in a pick up truck full of fireworks were certainly victims with 'major injuries'. (see news article in today's SB.)
Local fisherman

Waipahu, HI

#26 Jan 7, 2010
Doggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because this is a free country, doesn't give you the right to blow things up! dumbazz! That's called terrorism. Remember Oklahoma City Federal Building????
Let's not get carried away and link a nuisance like illegal fireworks with terrorism. There's a big leap from this year's loud mortars to what it takes to knock down a building. It takes at least a couple hundred pounds of carefully placed high-explosives (not flash powder as found in fireworks) to take out a building. It takes even more than that to take down a high-rise if the explosives aren't precisely positioned.

This is certainly a public safety issue but it's not terrorism.

Let's not confuse Al Quaeda in Yemen with Al Kaida in Kalihi.
Anti-fireworks

Honolulu, HI

#27 Jan 7, 2010
Ban fireworks completely, then there are no loopholes and no excuses. We've had more than enough. There are other ways to celebrate.
huh

San Diego, CA

#28 Jan 7, 2010
Watson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several things wrong with your post.
First, you struggle with punctuation, vocabulary and forming complete sentences. You completely misused the word "paraded." Let's hope you are not a police officer yourself.
Second, Mr. Holmes was, in fact, trying to make a real change in the community by suggesting a simple strategy for enforcing fireworks laws. Since HPD can't figure this out by themselves, he was doing everyone a big favor.
Third, if the cops really were "hard-working", as you describe them, then they would have figured out a way to fight illegal fireworks without Mr. Holmes having to tell them how.
hey grammer cop

... paraded was correctly used

#### blogs are meant to be readible ---- old fashion syntax doesn't apply

and also ***** police work is prioritized

I agree with them keeping officers available for violent crimes --- using them all for wuzzy complaints is a waste

capiche?
leeward lolo

Elgin, IL

#30 Jan 7, 2010
Nalo Boy wrote:
You forgot pets.
The repeated bomb-like explosions in out Waimanalo nieghborhood scared our young dog so badly that she shreded a screen door in a desperate attempt to get inside, away from the attack. I'm sure she will forever be terrified of these types of noises.
The other thing you left out is the immeasurable toll on hundreds of thousands of people who have to live a bunker-like existence in their own communities because our lawmakers are too spineless to do the right thing.
SHAME,SHAME,SHAME.
Despite all the warnings you left a dog outside on new years eve???!!!
I agree with everything else you said but:
shame shame shame on you.
Hawaii 96782

Honolulu, HI

#31 Jan 7, 2010
Go ahead, ban fireworks. Ain't gonna stop anything. Aerials are already illegal and has that stopped people from shooting them off? I can get artillery simulators that make more "boom" than any of you ever heard on New Year's eve. I can make soda bottle bombs with draino and aluminum foil. Anyone with knowledge of basic chemistry can make things that go "boom" and other sparkley things. Oh, and don't forget the gun owners shooting rounds into the air ...
Dirty brown man

Honolulu, HI

#32 Jan 7, 2010
If you goin ban firework i still goin pop em, i like here the boom boom and bang bang and big lights. my tiny brain no can enjoy anyting else. when my welfare check coming. i need spend em on beers and put memorials stickas for my 5 year old cousin who died on my truck window so everyone in KPT know i big man. CHEEE hooou
alice

United States

#33 Jan 7, 2010
Hawaii 96782 wrote:
Go ahead, ban fireworks. Ain't gonna stop anything. Aerials are already illegal and has that stopped people from shooting them off? I can get artillery simulators that make more "boom" than any of you ever heard on New Year's eve. I can make soda bottle bombs with draino and aluminum foil. Anyone with knowledge of basic chemistry can make things that go "boom" and other sparkley things. Oh, and don't forget the gun owners shooting rounds into the air ...
typical moke

Since: Jan 08

Kahului, HI

#34 Jan 7, 2010
alice wrote:
<quoted text>typical moke
Typical race baiter.
alice

United States

#35 Jan 7, 2010
I am Eurasian and have been victimized by your kind Marauder.
Loke

Kihei, HI

#36 Jan 7, 2010
Anti-fireworks. Your Right! Like drinking and driving. I'm not picking on your post, but to bring another possibility that may occur. This is what could happen when a total ban is implemented. I too advocate a ban on PUBLIC USE OF FIREWORKS!! Let them watch a controlled city fireworks display in a public designated location where liquor of any kind is not allowed. Sure you won't be able to totally stop them from arriving inebriated, high on something or from trying to sneak it in. This is a risk they're taking. It is more controllable. Like having too much to drink at a bar scenario.

Since: Jan 08

Kahului, HI

#37 Jan 7, 2010
alice wrote:
I am Eurasian and have been victimized by your kind Marauder.
Eurasian? Uranus maybe. Thought you were clueless, nuts and spam.
Hard Lesson

Honolulu, HI

#38 Jan 7, 2010
I'm for a smoke and noise ban on any product that causes a threat to public health and safety and the punishment/penalty must be severe in order to enforce the ban.
andy

Aiea, HI

#39 Jan 7, 2010
gee, seems like everyone in Hawaii supports a fireworks ban. however, i think its only the people writing in here. i opppose banning fireworks. have done them my whole life and cannot envision New Years without setting some off.
there is risk in everything in life. fireworks is no different. there are idiots out there that will do stupid things, but they are the minority.
if you want to make life safer, ban smoking, cars and alcohol. how many people have been killed or injured because of those three things as opppsed to fireworks? since that will never happen, leave us fireworks proponents alone. i believe most people in Hawaii think like me, not you folks.
LLWfan

Kihei, HI

#40 Jan 7, 2010
andy wrote:
gee, seems like everyone in Hawaii supports a fireworks ban. however, i think its only the people writing in here. i opppose banning fireworks. have done them my whole life and cannot envision New Years without setting some off.
there is risk in everything in life. fireworks is no different. there are idiots out there that will do stupid things, but they are the minority.
if you want to make life safer, ban smoking, cars and alcohol. how many people have been killed or injured because of those three things as opppsed to fireworks? since that will never happen, leave us fireworks proponents alone. i believe most people in Hawaii think like me, not you folks.
Don't think so dude the police and fire dept. also want a total ban. I too want a total ban after what happened to these kids. And people saying it won't work are full of B.S. My wifes daughter who lives in California where it is banned just told us where she lives no one burns personal fireworks for fear of getting caught and this year they saw a awesome fireworks show. And no I'm not moving off the islands I stay born and raised and popped my share when I was a kid in the 60's but the difference is we had more class and were more responsible then the idiots who blow bombs and illegal stuff today any time they like. When it is banned though blame the dumbazzes who stay doing this and made it bad for everybody.
Enough

Volcano, HI

#41 Jan 7, 2010
You killed my cat of 13 years and I will NEVER forgive you!

Next time I'll deal with it myself so you better pay up your HMO
waianae808

Honolulu, HI

#42 Jan 8, 2010
fireworks is a tradition in HAWAII and this has been going on since my great grandfater was young and fireworks is part of the local culture here in hawaii and the permit deal with the firecrackers is the reason why people are buying the other things because its to expensive in the store so if you make it legal again like how it was befor i think everything will be alright.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Waikiki Homeless Bus Spotted 10 hr Joe Balls 13
News Waianae students nabbed after fights (Feb '08) 13 hr Dr Guru 438
adult nursing relationship (Apr '12) 19 hr Joe Balls 29
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 20 hr Leeward Outlier 2,612
Adult Dating Honolulu (Jun '16) 23 hr Leena 11
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) Mon Princess Hey 4,667
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) Mon Princess Hey 878

Waipahu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance