Fireworks ban long overdue - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Hawaii survived its ninth consecutive New Year's Eve without deaths or major injuries from personal fireworks, but the reverberations continue.
Comments
1 - 20 of 56 Comments Last updated Dec 31, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Aging Observer

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

I used to play fireworks when I was a child. I got asthma as an adult but I still enjoyed fireworks on New Year's Eve. But this last New Year's Eve's fireworks were terrible! Those loud illegal fireworks were frightening. It sounded like a war zone and when it exploded near you, you could feel the vibrations and see the falling ash. And we weren't playing with those bombs. It appeared the neighbors up the street were playing those "bombs". Too close for comfort. I am now on the side that seeks to ban fireworks totally. People abuse the privilege of playing fireworks.
alfie

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

UR editorial is a 10-4-period
BUT-it ain't a gonna change!
willie

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

There are already laws banning fireworks and they are NOT enforced. What make s ANYONE think passing even more laws will take care of the issue?

Got a neighbor setting off bombs, deal with them YOURSELF, the cops are not going to.
Sherlock Holmes

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Judged:

The same bunch of Bozos at HPD who took two years to catch the freeway copper thieves have not the faintest clue when it comes to stopping illegal fireworks. They rely on the same old excuse - someone from the public has to rat out their neighbor in order for a charge to stick. That's nonsense - a classic case of blame the victims. "Oh, it's the public's fault that we don't do our job."

Here's one thing you can try. Some of the aerial fireworks go on for hours at a time from the same location. Send a plainclothes officer over there and peek over the fence. Or use a night vision device (anyone can buy one). Identify who is doing it and throw the book at them. Don't just write them a citation - put them in handcuffs and haul them off to the station. Make this very public. Invite a reporter along and put the perps photo in the newspaper and on TV. Do this to four or five people and make an example out of them. Once the public knows they face the risk of getting arrested a lot of them will stop. How hard could this be? Oh, and nobody from HPD gets the night off. That will cut down on the number of police officers who are setting off illegal fireworks.

There, now you have a strategy you can try. If that doesn't work then try something else. But at least TRY SOMETHING!! And I didn't even need a "PhD" from USC to figure that out. Maybe I should be chief.
swannie

Ocean View, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

One picture is worth a thousand sermons. Publish some pictures of the wounds and burns inflicted by these explosive devices. Amateurs , and especially ones who have been drinking and getting high, are a danger to everyone. It's a chilling thought what all these easily obtained explosives could do if someone actually set out with the intent to do harm.
Boom

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Anarchy
Insanity
nanakulimama

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Judged:

I have lived in Hawaii all 55 years of my life and as far back as I can remember have never liked fireworks. The noise keeps getting louder, smoke gets thicker and risk of injury or possibly death climbs. Also, it always bothers me that people will gripe about the economy but somehow manage to purchase 100's (in some cases 1000's) of dollars on fireworks. Keep it organized. It's safer, cheaper and less noisy that way.
Renata

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Not only is a ban warranted for safety and health reasons, a ban will save the counties and state money. The time is right to ban private firework sales and displays.
enuff

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

willie wrote:
There are already laws banning fireworks and they are NOT enforced. What make s ANYONE think passing even more laws will take care of the issue?
Got a neighbor setting off bombs, deal with them YOURSELF, the cops are not going to.
A complete ban on all fireworks would stop this madness because they sellers cannot hide the illegals bombs with the legal stuff. Another thing the lawmakers should think about is - if all those bombs are getting into the hands of the public how easy it would be for a terrorist to sneak in a bomb large enough to level a building or a block in with "legal" fireworks.

If a ban is not passed this year after all the bombs went off then we truly know that a few thousand need to die before they act.
huh

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Sherlock Holmes wrote:
The same bunch of Bozos at HPD who took two years to catch the freeway copper thieves have not the faintest clue when it comes to stopping illegal fireworks. They rely on the same old excuse - someone from the public has to rat out their neighbor in order for a charge to stick. That's nonsense - a classic case of blame the victims. "Oh, it's the public's fault that we don't do our job."
Here's one thing you can try. Some of the aerial fireworks go on for hours at a time from the same location. Send a plainclothes officer over there and peek over the fence. Or use a night vision device (anyone can buy one). Identify who is doing it and throw the book at them. Don't just write them a citation - put them in handcuffs and haul them off to the station. Make this very public. Invite a reporter along and put the perps photo in the newspaper and on TV. Do this to four or five people and make an example out of them. Once the public knows they face the risk of getting arrested a lot of them will stop. How hard could this be? Oh, and nobody from HPD gets the night off. That will cut down on the number of police officers who are setting off illegal fireworks.
There, now you have a strategy you can try. If that doesn't work then try something else. But at least TRY SOMETHING!! And I didn't even need a "PhD" from USC to figure that out. Maybe I should be chief.
chief of what?--- internet noise

the majority of fireworks being blasted outside of the time periods are being done by juveniles who cannot be paraded by your scheme

before you start calling HPD bozos, why don't you shut off your computer and make real change in your community

calling out our hard-working cops is solving nothing
Jerry Okamura

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Can you support the position of this editorial, if you place a very high value on our freedoms and liberty, or can you only support this position, "if" you do not put a very high value on our freedoms and liberty? What does it say about how important the people who wrote this editorial feel about our freedoms, or our liberty?

Since: Nov 09

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

So they only counted the complaints starting from Dec 26. That means there were probably thousands more previous to Dec 26 that weren't documented. Why such a narrow time frame for documenting illegal fireworks activity.
lee smith

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Sherlock Holmes wrote:
Our new Chief of Police has a PHD, but, sounds like he lacks common sense like many of our politicians!!!!!
ovphoto

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

ont question-WHEN??
local

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

I don't mind the fireworks, but it's the illegal loud explosions that got me to finally agree to ban fireworks. It takes a few individuals to finally destroy the long celebration.

“Ultimate Kimchi Assassin!”

Since: Jun 08

Seoul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

So if those really dangerous fireworks are already illegal, wouldn't it be smarter to focus on enforcing existing laws? Throwing more laws at a problem won't solve anything.
Pat

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Please, Rep. Takai Ban all fireworks from Hawai'i including supposedly religious or ceremonial occasions.I am certain that other wholesome ideas will evolve as a replacement.
AverageGuy

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Jerry Okamura wrote:
Can you support the position of this editorial, if you place a very high value on our freedoms and liberty, or can you only support this position, "if" you do not put a very high value on our freedoms and liberty? What does it say about how important the people who wrote this editorial feel about our freedoms, or our liberty?
Freedom of speech does not equate with freedom to play fireworks. If we want to discuss freedom as a right, then we need to also address the issue of responsibilty. We have the right to bear arms, but we don't have the right to shoot someone with the arm (unless you want to go to jail). Demanding freedom without responsibility should be called for what it really is -- selfishness.
AverageGuy

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Gegogi wrote:
So if those really dangerous fireworks are already illegal, wouldn't it be smarter to focus on enforcing existing laws? Throwing more laws at a problem won't solve anything.
You're right! The point is not about the policy, but the application. However, how do you propose to enforce this law when (a) the policy does not provide a serious consequence,(b) the police force is outnumbered by people committing the offense,(c) there are other serious criminal activities that demand police attention, and (d) the economic deficit of the city is threatening downsizing issues. The police chief mentioned needing the public's help to identify illegal activities, because his manpower cannot be everywhere at the same time. When someone makes a complaint, by the time the police can respond, the perpetrator is gone. At that point, what do you want the officer to do? He cannot wait around if he has other calls. Someone else mentioned using plainclothes officers. How many do you want to pay for to move around a community? If you want budget neutrality, how many officers do you pull off a regular beat to do this undercover work? Enforcement is not a simple, one variable thing to consider.
Nalo Boy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

You forgot pets.

The repeated bomb-like explosions in out Waimanalo nieghborhood scared our young dog so badly that she shreded a screen door in a desperate attempt to get inside, away from the attack. I'm sure she will forever be terrified of these types of noises.

The other thing you left out is the immeasurable toll on hundreds of thousands of people who have to live a bunker-like existence in their own communities because our lawmakers are too spineless to do the right thing.

SHAME,SHAME,SHAME.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Waipahu Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Waipahu Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••