Million-dollar homes rented for $150 a month

Full story: KUSA Denver 43
Japanese billionaire Genshiro Kawamoto has selected the first four of eight Native Hawaiian families that will each rent one of his multimillion-dollar homes in the exclusive oceanside Kahala area for $150 a ... Full Story
jmw

Canada

#22 Mar 30, 2007
lroy79.... PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU COMMENT! I AM SO FRUSTRATED AFTER READING YOUR IGNORANT COMMENT(THE COMMENT IS IGNORANT; YOUR IGNORANCE IS IMPLIED) iF THE SINGLE WORKING FEMALE COULD AFFORD $800/ MONTH, CHANCES ARE THAT SHE CAN AFFORD $150 BRAINIAC!!! tHERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE CASTING A NEGATIVE LIGHT ONTO POSITIVE ACTS. tHERE ARE MANY MORE EFFICIENT WAYS FOR THIS MAN TO HELP THE NEEDY, HOWEVER, THIS IS THE WAY HE CHOSE AND IF SOMEONE IS BETTER FOR AND BY IT THEN HEY...

p.s. FIZZEY, SAVE IGNORANT MESSAGES FOR LROY 69 OK, NOONE CARES ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE, AND FOR THE RECORD, THERE ARE NO TRILL...
island girl from honolulu

Lahaina, HI

#23 Apr 25, 2007
lroy79 wrote:
Great now we all gotta stand by and watch this poor family struggle to pay $150 a month for rent. You guys are looking at this as a good deed. Noone is asking why this man doesn't want to stay in his own home. You all make me sick.
You try living in hawaii and see if you can afford the rent here. Get real and stop saying stupid things you make me sick.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#25 Apr 25, 2007
when i first read this story i was so amazed ...

we need more people in the world who are willing to help others ... if we all just helped ONE person ... just think about what a better place this world would be ...
manateelover2343 53

Mesa, AZ

#26 May 1, 2007
local girl wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't give them away.
Weel stop making so many comments youre driving everyone nuts!
manateelover2343 53

Mesa, AZ

#27 May 1, 2007
Thomas wrote:
Not only was (is) the rent high but also the cost of food too ! I was paying $590 for a studio apartment in Waikiki in the 1990's and did most of my produce shopping in Chinatown , as it was much cheaper there to shop for food than at the regular super markets (FoodLand etc)when you live in Honolulu you learn how to cut costs , definately stay away from Waikiki, the Food Pantry and the ABC stores are definately priced for the tourists !
but on your screen name it says you live in Mesa
Kale R

Honolulu, HI

#29 May 3, 2007
Alot of people think he is crazy. He wants to devalue the properties in that neighborhood. He was acually a slum lord in the past. He rented out houses but did not do any maintences.
looking for luck

Parker, AZ

#30 May 7, 2007
Most of your comments in my opinion are low, the unfortunate thing is the millionare did something for someone that most people don't. You might not agree with how it was done, but you should respect any gesture given. If you can't say something nice try saying nothing at all, who do you think your impressing? And local girl good looking out, I know how you might feel people say careless remarks and don't care how someone might feel the effects of the generousity of this man. Personally my boyfriend and I are young parents with four children we work hard but have been close to being homeless ourselves!
Angie Cooper

United States

#31 May 27, 2007
I hope he will come to Miami,Florida
and purchase homes and allow the working
poor to rent them according to their income. As well as help the working poor
buy homes for themselves.
Come to Miami,Florida and contact me
when you get here.
Double_DUH

Zanesville, OH

#32 Jul 8, 2007
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a trillionaire, you would probably know how to spell it, and you probably wouldn't be living in Aurora.
have a nice day.
Foolish. Trillionaires don' need to spell. The Wendy's entrepreneur wasn't a high school graduate! Anyways-- Japanese Developers have bought up so much of Hawaii real estate that you would think they could discount a few rents here and there. Welcome to Japan!
Betty

Zanesville, OH

#33 Jul 8, 2007
local girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, I hope these families don't take advantage of him and destroy his property just because he says he doesn't mind.
Seems like you are assuming that just because they are poor, they won't take care of the property. Just rent me a clean small apartment for around $600 and I'll show you how well it will be kept. But, the Japanese developers came and gobbled up Hawaiian Real Estate and control the rents and sales for hoggish profits, that's why it's so expensive to rent or buy. Billionaire? 8 families? He should build several multi-units at realistic affordable rents. Save the accolades until that happens. Gullibles!
Disbelief

Columbus, OH

#34 Jul 9, 2007
A man does a good deed and gets criticized, sure its a tax write-off for him But its a home for families that lost theirs. Hawaii is tough economically. You dont need to be unemployed to be homeless, working families lost their apartments simply for the fact that rents are very high here. Just appreciate the gesture given by this man to those that were unfortunate. If you still dont like it, too bad, you cant do anything about it anyway. Just go on hating... For the man that did this, I am sure the families that moved into his homes are feeling a lot better about themselves now. And for the record, he did convert the property so that it would be lower maintenance required. Maybe he should purchase more affordable units and make them available to more families or individuals, who knows, maybe thats what he could be planning in the future. He can do whatever he wants with his money, it is his money, if it helps someone else, how can it be bad?
hayngal

Mililani, HI

#35 Jul 9, 2007
To all you haters...until you walk a day in their shoes you'll never understand what it's like to be a struggling family trying to make ends meet, having to raise your children on the beach and sitting and wondering if you'll ever catch a break! And when someone sees your plight and reaches out and see that you're doing the best that you can but it's just not enough to get your family off the beach and he pulls you out of your despair and gives you a chance to get on your feet and have your children be able to raise their heads up and see that there are kind people out there willing to give you a chance. Until you are put in such a situation you really don't understand what this generous man has done for these families. He's giving them an opportunity to get back on their feet. Some of them were given money and even to live there rent free with a ten year lease so that they could use that opportunity to save up and be able to purchase their own home. Maybe it's because you weren't given that same opportunity, maybe because someone didn't reach out a helping hand to you, you just can't see someone else getting what you wish would happen to you! That's called jealousy! Don't waste your time hating for it takes up way to much energy! Be happy when good is done to others and trust me one day good will come to you. Be patient and be humble and when you least expect it, it'll show up knocking at your front door.
Don't grumble be humble!
Tim

Zanesville, OH

#36 Jul 9, 2007
Yeh Yeh humble stumble bumble--according to Fortune Magazine as far back as 1987,Japanese real estate shoguns are driving up prices in the United States, not just the state of Hawaii, but especially in Hawaii. Do Americans really want this country to be owned by Japanese Nationals? Sounds unpatriotic, especially with so many homeless Americans being affected by foreign investors srewing up our economy. As far back as 1990 land in Tokyo was going for $17,000 for the size of a magazine page and we should have Japanese investors buy much of Los Angeles and negatively impact our economy? Maybe they should buy up Ohio,like they have Hawaii and then give some discounted rents to a few people in Pickerington, Ohio. Or, drive the property sales up to say,a million dollars average a house. Yeh Yeh you would be so grateful in Pickerington to get discounted rents for 8 families. Kawamoto needs to build many inexpensive units in Hawaii for American Citizens( America helped make him super-rich), and really do some good before he sees God.
Moose

Somerdale, OH

#37 Jul 9, 2007
Kale R wrote:
Alot of people think he is crazy. He wants to devalue the properties in that neighborhood. He was acually a slum lord in the past. He rented out houses but did not do any maintences.
I am not surprised. Is this an act of penance? To whom much is given much is required. He b etter get busy and help the people far more extensively-- a lot of homeless and poor to near poor employed people who could benefit if he replaced some of his mansions or properties FEW can afford with very affordable properties.
Genshiro Guru

Phoenix, AZ

#38 Mar 31, 2013
Renee wrote:
The world needs more generous people like this
How do you like me now!
YAWN

Anonymous Proxy

#39 Mar 31, 2013
Commentary oR Financial advice? Either way subject to Federal or State regulation.

By the way foreign national was locked up by his own government. Japanese tax laws stricter than American.

Play with fire get burned.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#40 Mar 31, 2013
Why are Hawaiians considered, "Less fortunate" than anyone else? I'd take that as an insult.
Snore

Honolulu, HI

#41 Mar 31, 2013
Hey moron why comment you know nothing about? All druggie does is confuse the issue.

By the way my Father-In-Law is to use the English word a tax CPA.

Oh also in a different topic littoral refers to the close shore combat environment as used by Pentagon personnel questioning development awards to the two contractors. The boats are severely out gunned when they fight close to shore.
Ms Gee

Honolulu, HI

#44 Apr 1, 2013
GeeGee’s Love LLC
Letter of Intent
We want to help victims of domestic violence along with their children to get a fresh start. Shelters are a great help, but are hard enough to handle after abuse. However, once our clients find safe, secure, affordable housing to begin their new lives we want to be there to provide resources for a solid beginning.
Most victims of live in homes filled with the terror of physical, verbal, and emotional abuse. Although they have the average means of living it is always at the price of torment and abuse. What happens after leaving the abuser and making the effort to get away from the threat of harm?
The shelters are a great first start as they encapsulate the victims, giving them both support and time to address their fears and feelings of worth. But who helps the victims after they take the first tentative steps to a new life? Once they are on their own to get the things they need to start their lives over!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#45 Apr 14, 2013
$150/month?
Nice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LIFE on MARS? 7 hr Guru 27
Lava flow 8 hr Flo 310
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... (Jan '14) 8 hr Ho House 1,686
On the Average Who is Stupider Balls or Guru (May '13) 10 hr Gallup 341
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 12 hr Mayhem 358
Al Sharpton, Preserver of the Victim Mentality 13 hr Guru 14
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12

Flash Flood Watch for Honolulu County was issued at December 22 at 3:54AM HST

Waipahu Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Waipahu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Waipahu News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waipahu