Donations roll in for storm-ravaged P...

Donations roll in for storm-ravaged Philippine Islands - Hawaii...

There are 12 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Oct 5, 2009, titled Donations roll in for storm-ravaged Philippine Islands - Hawaii.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Photos of the storm-ravaged Philippines bring back grim memories for Beatrice Ramos-Razon. "When I saw the pictures in the paper, I remember what happened to us in 1967," she said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

been around

Honolulu, HI

#1 Oct 5, 2009
I wonder how much of the money actually makes it to the Philippines?
waipahu boy

Honolulu, HI

#2 Oct 5, 2009
been around wrote:
I wonder how much of the money actually makes it to the Philippines?
I wonder if you even thought about taking part in this noble undertaking. One of those people who talks but DO NOTHING!!! Am I right?
Truth

Honolulu, HI

#3 Oct 5, 2009
Makes you wonder - FilCom is not a relief agency so they must be passing the donations on, but to whom, and who makes the decisions as to what agencies get the money? Its great to help people in need, but it would be better if we knew how the donations will be distributed.
Truth

Honolulu, HI

#4 Oct 5, 2009
waipahu boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you even thought about taking part in this noble undertaking. One of those people who talks but DO NOTHING!!! Am I right?
But would you not agree that transparency is an important element of such a noble undertaking? Can you in fact honestly say that you know how the funds collected will be disbursed? All the leaders of FilCom have to do is disclose the names of the persons on the committee that will oversee the distribution of funds, identify the agencies who will receive the funds, and describe the relief activities to be undertaken. Not a hard thing to do would you not agree? The disclosure will clear the air and I would suggest encourage more donations from people who right now are reluctant to give because they do not know where their donations are actually going.
Pickpocket Nation

Wailuku, HI

#5 Oct 5, 2009
Used goods end up in Filippino used clothing and furniture stores owned by the highest bidder or some corrupt government politician. Money gets conveniently lost with fake paperwork. Even Filippinos know this. At's why only $11K collected so far. Flips are their own worst enemies.
alice

United States

#6 Oct 5, 2009
I am not Filipino but I made a gift to Red cross to help with the relief. They are trustworthy! Yes, there is a lot of corruption in Phillipines but Red Cross is honest...let us help our Filipino brothers and sisters.
waipahu boy

Honolulu, HI

#7 Oct 5, 2009
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
But would you not agree that transparency is an important element of such a noble undertaking? Can you in fact honestly say that you know how the funds collected will be disbursed? All the leaders of FilCom have to do is disclose the names of the persons on the committee that will oversee the distribution of funds, identify the agencies who will receive the funds, and describe the relief activities to be undertaken. Not a hard thing to do would you not agree? The disclosure will clear the air and I would suggest encourage more donations from people who right now are reluctant to give because they do not know where their donations are actually going.
AHH... I can see your problem, you don't trust the committee running the project over at FILCOM Center, am I right? Unfortunately, Truth (that's YOU) never really understood the POINT. There are so many ways you can extend your help to the needy. FILCOM is NOT the only avenue we have available e.g. Red Cross and church organizations are worth mnentioning!!! NOW, let me go back to my original question, "Are you one of those who talks a lot and haven't done ANYTHING, yet?" All I need is a YES or NO Response.... and you know where liars go...
Pinoy

Honolulu, HI

#8 Oct 5, 2009
Pickpocket Nation wrote:
Used goods end up in Filippino used clothing and furniture stores owned by the highest bidder or some corrupt government politician. Money gets conveniently lost with fake paperwork. Even Filippinos know this. At's why only $11K collected so far. Flips are their own worst enemies.
What you say is true. Corruption is the norm in the Philippines. Unless you are able to personally hand out your donation to those in need, there is no guarantee that your donation will be used for its intended purposes. If you have friends or relatives there, just send a care package, but even that may disappear mysteriously. I've heard lots of horror stories about this type of thing happening from my Filipino friends.
alice

United States

#9 Oct 5, 2009
alice wrote:
I am not Filipino but I made a gift to Red cross to help with the relief. They are trustworthy! Yes, there is a lot of corruption in Phillipines but Red Cross is honest...let us help our Filipino brothers and sisters.
true..Red Cross is honest and they have good financial controls.
Truth

Honolulu, HI

#10 Oct 5, 2009
waipahu boy wrote:
<quoted text>
AHH... I can see your problem, you don't trust the committee running the project over at FILCOM Center, am I right? Unfortunately, Truth (that's YOU) never really understood the POINT. There are so many ways you can extend your help to the needy. FILCOM is NOT the only avenue we have available e.g. Red Cross and church organizations are worth mnentioning!!! NOW, let me go back to my original question, "Are you one of those who talks a lot and haven't done ANYTHING, yet?" All I need is a YES or NO Response.... and you know where liars go...
Ah WiapahuBoy, the answer is NO. Why? Because I am not going to write a check to the FilCom Center nor drop off my hard earned money to Golden Coin when we do not really have a way to verify that ALL of the money finds its way to orgranizations like the Red Cross. What you do not realize is the gang at the Filcom could have partnered up front with the Red Cross or Catholic Charities. The did a great job of hosting radio shows and the like, but perhaps theyshould have geared their publicity at saying please make a donation DIRECTLY TO the red cross. But NO they wanted to be the middle man and I saw Toy Arre come on TV on Friday and say that funds collected would be distributed by a committee of unnamed pesons selected by FilCom to unidentified agencies. In the Star-Bulletin story Jun Colmenares is quoted as saying "The money will be donated to a nongovernmental organization, such as the Catholic diocese, that works directly with flood victims." Read it carefully, he does not say its going to the diocese, he said agencies such as the diocese. Who are these agencies and who selects these agencies. Due to the lack of transparency does it not raise red flags with you? Honestly would you give money to an agency that would not disclose who is making the funidng decisions and where the money is actually going? How can you be sure all of your hard earned money is goint to relief?

Finally look at the Star-Bulletin story, do you see Red Cross even mentioned once? Do you see a phone number for the Red Cross? Of course not and that is because FilCom has set themselve up as the de facto agency to collect donations and the press has bought in. So yes while FilCom may not be in fact be the only place to donate, it sure seems that way. Maybe that's why if you go to the Red Cross website, you cannot make a direct online dontation for Philipine relief, however you can for Samoa releif. Why do you think the Red Cross is doing that? Perhaps its because they have been effectively butted out by of the relief business by our good frinds af Filcom?

Well I made by donation to Samoa relief, I'll leave it up to the good poeple at Filcom to raise money for Philipine relief, no need to donate my money into that black hole.
Anonymous

Honolulu, HI

#11 Oct 5, 2009
Now I hope the Philippines see the value of having a US Military base there. They served a fake eviction notice to the US embassy a few months ago claiming Filipino people would want that. How about NOW? Why should US help? Because Philippines need the US on times like this. I am Filipino and wish they know these things.
alice

United States

#12 Oct 5, 2009
Filipinos helped to build Hawaii. Now, let us help them by supporting the red cross relief efforts out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 4 hr Francine 1,605
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 11 hr _FLATLINE-------- 433
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 16 hr District 1 372
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 16 hr District 1 4,178
DISTRICT 1 Finally Admits TO Being A RACE BAITER (Mar '14) Mon District 1 197
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Mon Puke 4 525
Nag Hammadi Revisited - Sussex copy of Declarat... Mon USA Bird 3

Waipahu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance