Letters to the Editor - Letters

Letters to the Editor - Letters

There are 29 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 16, 2009, titled Letters to the Editor - Letters. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Many of the most attractive, popular tourist cities in the world have entertainers and mime artists at specific places where tourists enjoy them and take pictures.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hawaii50

Nashville, TN

#1 Sep 16, 2009
Swayze had a 3 pack a day cigarette habit. He was an alcoholic. Everyone, including my 92 year old gramdmother, knew he had pancreatic cancer at least 2 years ago. It is always fatal. What's this "shocked" all about?
Johnny Kai

Honolulu, HI

#2 Sep 16, 2009
Sorry Guy Tayor, but I have to disagree with you. Supporting free entertainment in Waikiki is NO way to support the kind of high quality talent you are referring to. This only encourages the tourism industry to push free entertainment - you know slave labor. Working for tips or begging for money is a screwed up way to support professional musicians and entertainers. I can tell you never achieved the level of quality it takes to be a professional musician, if you did, you would never be supporting slave labor mentality for professional musicians. Yes, it does create monies and I do know people who do this and make pretty darn good monies - more than some musicians make playing at legit venues, but its still begging. There are musicians that don't mind or desperate enough to want to. One solution is to create a program that raises monies to subsidize the pay for professional entertainers and work with hotels and clubs and get them to cover half the cost and the program makes up for the other half of the pay. I have introduced this program for Kaka'ako 13 years ago and at the time it was selected as the number one project for Kaka'ako but I was not able to get enough people to be interested. Thank you for thinking of the welfare of musicians. If only I could encourage the right people to support my idea it would be a great positive way to promote entertainment and support jobs for musicians and entertainers, a much needed resource for tourist to enjoy about Hawaii.
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua, HI

#3 Sep 16, 2009
Ref Guy Taylor's ltr, specifically his statement, "help support this income-producing source for Hawaii."

Come on Guy! Do you really believe these sidewalk performers pay taxes on the dollars deposited in their bucket or guitar case? It's a form of begging, that's all. It's the taxpayers of this State that pay for the sidewalks venue for his performance.
Keith Haugen

AOL

#4 Sep 16, 2009
Aloha:

Thanks to President Jimmy Carter (the highest IQ of any US President) for zeroing in on the racist problem that is festering in our country and that is coming to light in the Republican hatred toward our President Barack Obama.

It is sad but true. Just listen to the rabid rightwing talk show hosts and their guests and you will realize that the rednecks are all up in arms and it is not because Barack is twice as smart as they are (which he is). It is because he is part-Black.

We've come a long way since slavery, but we have a long way to go. We must stamp out racism, through education, caring, sharing, love and inter-marriage. We need more Barack Obamas.

Me ka pono,

Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
Alan Cummings

Port Angeles, WA

#5 Sep 16, 2009
Mr. de Gracia,

I am also saddened by the death of Patrick Swayze, but he was just another actor who happened to die. Lots of people die every day, but they don't get their names in the paper. I'll lay odds that his movie roles had NOTHING to do with his politics. So he played a guy who's father was shot down and he played a teenager who repelled a soviet invasion in Michigan. THEY WERE JUST MOVIES, and more than likely he did it just for the money. Hell, if I was paid several million dollars to dance the funky chicken, Id do it. And I can't dance, unlike Patrick Swayze.
Pau

Pasadena, CA

#6 Sep 16, 2009
Ref:Swayze's career, impact honored

Patrick was also an underrated comedian too. The "chip-n-dales" skit he performed with Chris Farley on SNL was one of the all time greats!
Shabai DaKine

Haiku, HI

#7 Sep 16, 2009
Mr Haugan, please give us some examples of rabid right wing talk show host racist comments about Obama. Surely, there are hundreds of examples?

As for IQ, is this some new definitive litmus test for presidents? Perhaps this should replace the birth requirement in the US Constitution?

As for ex-president Carter, His superior IQ undoubtedly gives him extra-ordinary psychic powers to read the minds of millions of Americans who have come out of the basements, tool sheds, out-houses, mines, offices, factories, garages, race tracks, farms, and sports arenas to express their "racist" viewpoints.
reasonable

Honolulu, HI

#8 Sep 16, 2009
Keith Haugen wrote:
Aloha:
Thanks to President Jimmy Carter (the highest IQ of any US President) for zeroing in on the racist problem that is festering in our country and that is coming to light in the Republican hatred toward our President Barack Obama.
It is sad but true. Just listen to the rabid rightwing talk show hosts and their guests and you will realize that the rednecks are all up in arms and it is not because Barack is twice as smart as they are (which he is). It is because he is part-Black.
We've come a long way since slavery, but we have a long way to go. We must stamp out racism, through education, caring, sharing, love and inter-marriage. We need more Barack Obamas.
Me ka pono,
Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
Jimmy Carter was the worst President in recent history. Remember gas lines, interest rates of 20%, the Iran hostage crisis. This is a not a guy I would listen to for anything.
Pearl City Senior

Honolulu, HI

#9 Sep 16, 2009
Mr. Haugen, you never fail to amaze. With each of your postings I think, "Well, he's finally reached the outer limits." Then you come up with something as unproven and just plain stupid as the posting today. And I realize you really do live in a different world.
You should restrict your postings to the Daily Koz. You'd be considered a pundit and hero by that crowd.
And, seriously, the last thing this country could afford is another Barack Obama.
uh huh

Honolulu, HI

#10 Sep 16, 2009
Keith Haugen wrote:
Aloha:
Me ka pono,
Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
It's the policies stupid...he could be green and Americans would still protest his policies.
And how do we know he is smart? All his records are locked up...or did he let a racist, washed up local "entertainer" see them the last time he was here?
willie

Plymouth, MI

#11 Sep 16, 2009
Keith Haugen wrote:
Aloha:
Me ka pono,
Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
Keith, did you know Bush II was the only president with a Masters degree? Perhpas IQ is not as important as common sense (which BTW neither Bush or Carter had a lot of).

As to your claims of racism I am sure you can cite hundreds or thousands of examples of it. From what I can see all you need to do is say this program or that bill are bad and bingo, you are a racist. If that is the case should we all have our mouths sewn shut and our computers taken away so we can just be sheep and allow anything to happen with no protest at all?

Do you even know what a redneck is? The use of the word by you is considered racist in some parts of the country, perhaps you require some re indoctrination.

I think what has happened is you got your fondest wish, a person of color elected to the highest office so you could pull the race card out at will...good luck on that, it is a tired old game that no longer works.
kamaaina expat

Austin, TX

#12 Sep 16, 2009
Hey 'reasonable"... you say that Carter was the worst President in recent history?

How recent exactly? Have you already forgotten about your pal, the war criminal George W. Bush?

Keith Haugen is absolutely right on .....
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#13 Sep 16, 2009
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
Keith, did you know Bush II was the only president with a Masters degree? Perhpas IQ is not as important as common sense (which BTW neither Bush or Carter had a lot of).
As to your claims of racism I am sure you can cite hundreds or thousands of examples of it. From what I can see all you need to do is say this program or that bill are bad and bingo, you are a racist. If that is the case should we all have our mouths sewn shut and our computers taken away so we can just be sheep and allow anything to happen with no protest at all?
Do you even know what a redneck is? The use of the word by you is considered racist in some parts of the country, perhaps you require some re indoctrination.
I think what has happened is you got your fondest wish, a person of color elected to the highest office so you could pull the race card out at will...good luck on that, it is a tired old game that no longer works.
What common sense are you referring to from Bush jr? After all, he was AWOL.
Surrounded

San Diego, CA

#14 Sep 16, 2009
Mr. Smith from Haleiwa demonstrates exactly why there should BE NO public option. He has insurance and apparently can afford a low-end Kaiser policy. He implies that a public option would be an improvement on his current plan, also thereby implying that it would cost him less.

Where does he think all these cheap Cadillac plans are going to come from? You can only soak the rich till the money is gone. If he's making an income at all, he's going to get hit hard by a public option to the tune of a lot more than his Kaiser plan is costing him.
Hawaii50

Nashville, TN

#15 Sep 16, 2009
Well, well, well...Mr. "Willie", from Novi, MI, even though he doesn't know where that is, weighs in and gets his usual 5 "Agrees", and 3 "Brilliant".. Wear any pants while you were typing your crud today, Willie? GW Bush did not get any Masters Degree. Where'd that come from? I hear he had 1,268 on his SAT's. Great. And the USA is rapidly approaching year 8 in Iraq..."Freeing the Iraqi people". That's what GW Bush's great intellect brought to the table for America.
Surrounded

San Diego, CA

#16 Sep 16, 2009
Dargent/Hawaii50 (or whomever you may be), Bush earned his MBA from Harvard Business School in 1973, MBA standing for MASTERS of Business Administration. Not an easy degree to get from Hahvahd. America's "smartest" presidential candidate, Algore, flunked out of divinity school.
Mike

United States

#17 Sep 16, 2009
How about the Chinese selling produce on the sidewalk in Chinatown?
Mike

United States

#18 Sep 16, 2009
Some of those homeless are very friendly. Better than being around a snooty, well dressed person with no personality.
Mike

United States

#19 Sep 16, 2009
By the time the council gets done with destroying our rights and freedom, I will be afraid to pass gas in public. Cut a little slack. Where is the Aloha Spirit? Don't let every small kind problem bother you. Not everyone is super rich and perfect.
Mike

United States

#20 Sep 16, 2009
there goes mr. haugen trashing people. better move out of the way!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Outing the Main Troll on the Honolulu Topix Forum 2 hr District 1 Nievity 33
Outing the Main TROLL on the Honolulu Topix Forum 2 hr District 1 36
Bwa ha ha ha 3 hr Boris 7
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 3,311
Register On Topix OR You Will Go Batty Screamin... (Sep '15) 4 hr District 1 73
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 8 hr Joe Balls 787
How much rain you get tonight? 9 hr dockyard one momm... 12

Waipahu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance