Notable KGMB tower will be razed - Hawaii Business

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The iconic KGMB-TV tower, located with the building at 1534 Kapiolani Blvd., will eventually be torn down, not because of the new shared services agreement with KHNL/KFVE-TV, but because KGMB owner MCG Capital sold the property in January 2008.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
HawaiiaNYC

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 20, 2009
 
That tower will NOT be missed. Sure, it has a little local history, but it was a fuggin eye-sore. Good riddance.

And has anyone else notice how it screws up your cell phone when you drive by? Crazy static noise. Couldn't help but think that those same intense broadcast waves were giving me a brain tumor.
house

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Watch in the coming days how some dummies who have nothing better to do will want this thing saved as some kind of historical monument.
etops

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 20, 2009
 
house wrote:
Watch in the coming days how some dummies who have nothing better to do will want this thing saved as some kind of historical monument.
Gosh I hope you're wrong! If not in use, it's time to go.
Willy

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 20, 2009
 
On the coconut wireless...
localboy333

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 20, 2009
 
With the near downing of the KGMB/KHON tower, many peoples presently receiving “free” transitional “digital” signals and living within the distribution pattern of the tower will now NOT receive those signals at all, since the signals will then emanate from towers at Makakilo…..

It’s too bad that the FCC has not forced the stations to make their digital signals to be received by all peoples within the major part of the city…..large parts from maybe downtown all the way to Hawaii Kai will not receive the new signals as they are located too far away from the Makakilo location…..

After the January 2009 transition, many peoples lost KHET's and KHNL’s signal….now the same peoples will lose KGMB’s and KHON’s signal…..and that’s just about all of the major “free” signals being lost…..that FCC transitional program is a shibai and useless….forcing a few peoples to go cable…..

You wonder why the stations are losing revenues and viewers!!!…….well, just because they screw some of the viewers like this….and also with too much commercials and frivolous numb skull programming……pretty soon, only old peoples and peoples with nothing else to do will be watching these programs…..
CyberMan

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

localboy333 wrote:
With the near downing of the KGMB/KHON tower, many peoples presently receiving “free” transitional “digital” signals and living within the distribution pattern of the tower will now NOT receive those signals at all, since the signals will then emanate from towers at Makakilo…..
It’s too bad that the FCC has not forced the stations to make their digital signals to be received by all peoples within the major part of the city…..large parts from maybe downtown all the way to Hawaii Kai will not receive the new signals as they are located too far away from the Makakilo location…..
After the January 2009 transition, many peoples lost KHET's and KHNL’s signal….now the same peoples will lose KGMB’s and KHON’s signal…..and that’s just about all of the major “free” signals being lost…..that FCC transitional program is a shibai and useless….forcing a few peoples to go cable…..
You wonder why the stations are losing revenues and viewers!!!…….well, just because they screw some of the viewers like this….and also with too much commercials and frivolous numb skull programming……pretty soon, only old peoples and peoples with nothing else to do will be watching these programs…..
This is true but eventually there will be no over the air signal for some 23,000. It will all be cable,satellite or more than likely the Internet.

It is the Internet that is killing mainstream media. TV news is mostly STALE ! Radio news on the other hand is more real time.

At least with Radio you can call in and express your views on local and National matters.

Iconic Tower ? UGLY tower that caused interference ( Radios,stereo,door chimes,phones etc )to neighboring condo's etc.

KGMB's and other ststions teleprompter readers will not be missed.
Poi Boy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

localboy333 wrote:
With the near downing of the KGMB/KHON tower, many peoples presently receiving “free” transitional “digital” signals and living within the distribution pattern of the tower will now NOT receive those signals at all, since the signals will then emanate from towers at Makakilo…..
It’s too bad that the FCC has not forced the stations to make their digital signals to be received by all peoples within the major part of the city…..large parts from maybe downtown all the way to Hawaii Kai will not receive the new signals as they are located too far away from the Makakilo location…..
After the January 2009 transition, many peoples lost KHET's and KHNL’s signal….now the same peoples will lose KGMB’s and KHON’s signal…..and that’s just about all of the major “free” signals being lost…..that FCC transitional program is a shibai and useless….forcing a few peoples to go cable…..
You wonder why the stations are losing revenues and viewers!!!…….well, just because they screw some of the viewers like this….and also with too much commercials and frivolous numb skull programming……pretty soon, only old peoples and peoples with nothing else to do will be watching these programs…..
I share your paim bruddah !

KGMB streams on the Internet and I'm sure eventually all stations will.Still means you need a broadband,WiFi or satellite access. Dial up speeds are too slow for reliable video.

KHNL/K5 stream their afternoon news on KHNR 690 AM
Dump your TV

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

We dumped the TV a long time ao. Saved a bumdle of moolah and enjoy more Family time ie Time with the kids,Studying,Swimming and Surfing etc.

There is SO MUCH more in depth news out there especially the World Wide Web that we don't miss the TV at all :)

Try it you will like it :)

“Starts right above my shoulder”

Since: Aug 08

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

HawaiiaNYC wrote:
That tower will NOT be missed. Sure, it has a little local history, but it was a fuggin eye-sore. Good riddance.
And has anyone else notice how it screws up your cell phone when you drive by? Crazy static noise. Couldn't help but think that those same intense broadcast waves were giving me a brain tumor.
Hey Brah... perhaps you didn't hear, but um... tis illegal to talk on your cell phone whilst driving... I'm just saying... ;)
Lway

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 20, 2009
 
Willy, you just made me smile! I miss Aku and the Yakity Yak all day long!!
hmmmm

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 20, 2009
 
MakikiMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Brah... perhaps you didn't hear, but um... tis illegal to talk on your cell phone whilst driving... I'm just saying... ;)
He can tell the judge that he has a brain tumor.
Maybe the court will have some mercy on the poor guy.
anti-cable

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

localboy333 wrote:
With the near downing of the KGMB/KHON tower, many peoples presently receiving “free” transitional “digital” signals and living within the distribution pattern of the tower will now NOT receive those signals at all, since the signals will then emanate from towers at Makakilo…..
It’s too bad that the FCC has not forced the stations to make their digital signals to be received by all peoples within the major part of the city…..large parts from maybe downtown all the way to Hawaii Kai will not receive the new signals as they are located too far away from the Makakilo location…..
After the January 2009 transition, many peoples lost KHET's and KHNL’s signal….now the same peoples will lose KGMB’s and KHON’s signal…..and that’s just about all of the major “free” signals being lost…..that FCC transitional program is a shibai and useless….forcing a few peoples to go cable…..
You wonder why the stations are losing revenues and viewers!!!…….well, just because they screw some of the viewers like this….and also with too much commercials and frivolous numb skull programming……pretty soon, only old peoples and peoples with nothing else to do will be watching these programs…..
Excellent comments. In Mililani and surrounding areas, we lost KHNL/K5 over the air reception when they switched to digital earlier this year. The Makakilo location is stupid. Now we'll lose KGMB and KHON! What's going on with this state? The poor local people gets shafted again. The FCC requires a change to digital, sells us converter boxes, then does nothing when over the air signals are cut-off.
Can we sell these useless converter boxes back to the FCC?
HawaiiaNYC

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

MakikiMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Brah... perhaps you didn't hear, but um... tis illegal to talk on your cell phone whilst driving... I'm just saying... ;)
I did hear that.

So now I've switched to just texting when I drive. And twittering.
Wainani

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 20, 2009
 
It's not the only thing in Honolulu that should be taken down...nice start though.
HawaiiaNYC

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 20, 2009
 
Wainani wrote:
It's not the only thing in Honolulu that should be taken down...nice start though.
KPT is second?

I read that Oceanic Time Warner doesn't want to send its service staff to KPT because the workers are regularly harrassed and even assaulted by the residents. WTF?
lukela

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

That tower means nothing ever since they removed "AKU" from it decades ago!
waimea jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 21, 2009
 
lukela wrote:
That tower means nothing ever since they removed "AKU" from it decades ago!
You're wrong, the view for the tennants in the condominiums in the area will get better and their property taxes will rise.
Also, the residents in the area will get no high energy radio radiation from the tower. It probably was affecting them all their lives and they weren't even noticing it. Sorta liked being microwaved 24/7.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waipahu Discussions

Search the Waipahu Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... 1 hr ROTFLMAO 1,539
Abercrombie Chickens Out of Three of Four Debates 2 hr District 1 1
Tiki Hangover 6 hr District 1 4
Neil About-to-Crumble loses another Debate to D... 8 hr topic investigator 13
Gangs in Hawaii (Oct '07) 16 hr What Gangsters 706
Pacific Wings wins DOT contract - Business News (Jul '09) 20 hr District 1 5
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Sat Mynahs 315
•••
•••
•••
Waipahu Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Waipahu Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Waipahu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Waipahu News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waipahu
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••