Developer plans 12,000 homes on 'the ...

Developer plans 12,000 homes on 'the best ag land' on Oahu - Ha...

There are 260 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 12, 2009, titled Developer plans 12,000 homes on 'the best ag land' on Oahu - Ha.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A proposal for building 12,000 homes on what is described as the best agricultural land on Oahu goes back before the state Land Use Commission tomorrow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Close HTA

Wahiawa, HI

#1 Aug 12, 2009
NO WAY IN HELL SHOUlD THIS BE GRANTED.

PAVING AG LAND HAS TO STOP!
zoe

Wahiawa, HI

#2 Aug 12, 2009
This is absolutely awful. What about Hawaii 2050 and a sustainable island? This is so backwards.
We dont even have the water,electric and trash that adding huge new cities would generate.

Ever heard of Waimanalo Gulch??? It is beyond full.
zoe

Wahiawa, HI

#3 Aug 12, 2009
Maybe the developers can start rubbish to food projects since they want to ruin the last ag lands around.

or sewage to drinking water plant?

Seriously folks this is nuts. We are at the breaking point as far as resources and this will ruin us.
Close HTA

Wahiawa, HI

#4 Aug 12, 2009
HO'O'PILAU STOP THE INSANITY NOW!
Nanakuli Homestead Raised

Wahiawa, HI

#5 Aug 12, 2009
This would guarantee the Leeward Coast residents a rotten quality of life for years to come. Combined with the thousands of already approved new construction and you are talking about absolute gridlock. Traffic is bad enough now.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#6 Aug 12, 2009
"Bruhl acknowledged that traffic was a big concern"

What concern, there is already gridlock what will 10,000 more cars matter....

Just what Oahu does NOT need is 12,000 more homes.
john w bienko

Ottawa, Canada

#7 Aug 12, 2009
Wise men and women do good things. I sincerely hope the developers will stop a moment to reflect on the consequences of their decison on the future of this paradise. The value of highly productive agricultural land is priceless and once covered by concrete and roads can never be returned to its natural state. Aloha Oe
Roids

Honolulu, HI

#8 Aug 12, 2009
If you voted for DaRail, this is what it is supposed to support!

Transit Oriented Developement (TODs)

60,000 new homes is part the master plan. At an average price of $500K times 60,000 =$30 Billion. This is how DaRail's cost of $5 bil,$10 bil or more is going to be justified.

Remember, you have to build up to create the necessary density to make rail efficient. Think, Salt Lake. Think Hong Kong.

Where are your keiki going to live?
Open Space

Honolulu, HI

#9 Aug 12, 2009
Such short-sighted, profit-driven, disrespect for open-space and the value of the best ag land on Oahu, has led to this greedy attempt to pave paradise and put up 12,000 more homes in a now very densely-populated and traffic congested area.

The Land Use Commission should make the tough call, and not be seduced by the money the developer will wave in front of them, and the LUC should just say "No" in siding with a future of Oahu that envisions, protects and sides with the best agricultural land on this island to remain as open space, rather than pack people in like sardines just so the developer can turn a profit.
taxpayer

United States

#10 Aug 12, 2009
Hawaii has too much valuable land to waste it on growing food. This is a great idea. If you don't build homes, who is gonna eat the food that would have been grown on that land? Gotta go now,,,time for my meds.
kalaeloa

Wahiawa, HI

#11 Aug 12, 2009
Bad BAD BAD BAD.
POGO

Wahiawa, HI

#12 Aug 12, 2009
The traffic from this will crash the tourist industry guarans! Ko'olina and the tourist industry folks better speak up now.
POGO

Wahiawa, HI

#13 Aug 12, 2009
goodbye ag land, hello HONG Kong!
Captain Obvious

Wahiawa, HI

#14 Aug 12, 2009
No Can Eat Cement.
No can Eat Cement.
No Can Eat Cement.
swannie

Ocean View, HI

#15 Aug 12, 2009
If you build 12000 homes, then 12000 families will come...from the mainland.
Urban Planner

Wahiawa, HI

#16 Aug 12, 2009
People of Oahu pray that this never goes through. We will be in deep kimchee if it does.
Aiea

Wahiawa, HI

#17 Aug 12, 2009
This will go through, just as Salt Lake did. Remember? THE ONLY SALT WATER LAKE IN THE STATE was filled in for condominiums and a golf course that you can't even play on unless you join the club for $30,000+. Ariyoshi allowed that, don't let Lingle allow this.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#18 Aug 12, 2009
Aiea wrote:
This will go through, just as Salt Lake did. Remember? THE ONLY SALT WATER LAKE IN THE STATE was filled in for condominiums and a golf course that you can't even play on unless you join the club for $30,000+. Ariyoshi allowed that, don't let Lingle allow this.
Ummmm I don't think it is up to Lingle, she is not the queen or a dictator you know.
AUWE

Ontario, CA

#19 Aug 12, 2009
Stop all this building. Not only does it deplete our resources but takes away valuable farmland. We need to save Hawaii; don't let these big developers come in and take over our land. No ag land means we need to import our food supplies which in turn means high cost of food.
Laie Born

Dallas, TX

#20 Aug 12, 2009
Hear me out on this before you jump, okay?

Although I am against paving over agricultural land, and against changing what's left of the country character of the West and North Shore -- I beleive it's going to happen big time anyway. It started some time ago and it's been laid in place just like a chess game. You can protest and threaten and even vote for a few people who say they'll try to stop it -- but it will happen anyway, slowly but surely. Oahu is a tourist town and there aren't that many options for work other than tourism, government and construction. Right now, construction is the best option for good new jobs on the table. Every day you read about new housing plans. "Affordable" housing maybe, but even those will will mean changes in land use and whole new communities being built.

I'll keep fighting against these projects if they seem to be going up willy nilly with no plan to include green spaces and appropriate infrastructure. I'll also be pushing against the rail project as it is now planned. The reason people voted for rail is because they want jobs and they want releif from traffic congestion. The first rail transit route should be at ground level, and it should transport tourists and workers around the North and West Shores to Kapolei. With less traffic going to town, rail into Honolulu isn't needed. If development is planned strategically, rail and affordable housing construction could bring jobs for people who will work close to where they live. If more students live and go to school out West, there will be even less traffic to town. Many tourists would be happy to take a train to the North and West Shores rather than fight traffic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ooof da Goof (Sep '12) 3 hr Marley Coal 341
unregistered district 1 is my bitch_ watch him ... (Oct '15) 8 hr District 1 96
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 19 hr Leeward Outlier 2,710
News Feds charge ex-HPD officer - Hawaii News (Jun '09) Mon Muslim Terror Att... 86
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) Mon Muslim Terror Att... 943
Why do Filipinos consider themselves as Pacific... (Oct '08) Mon Joe Balls 558
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Sun Goldie Locks 4 633

Waipahu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waipahu Mortgages