Search ends for Navy SEAL lost at sea...

Search ends for Navy SEAL lost at sea off Oahu

There are 8 comments on the The Honolulu Advertiser story from Feb 24, 2013, titled Search ends for Navy SEAL lost at sea off Oahu. In it, The Honolulu Advertiser reports that:

The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a Navy SEAL after the man went missing during an open ocean training exercise Tuesday near Kaena Point.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Honolulu Advertiser.

District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#1 Feb 24, 2013
Mahalo nui, brsve warrior. A grateful citizen acknowledges not just eh risk of battle, but also the risk of being prepared for battle.
RIP.
ras

Riverbank, CA

#2 Feb 25, 2013
The coast guard may have stopped their search but this story is not yet over. This man is a survivor and a fantatsic person and until someone proves otherwise hope is not lost miracles happen everyday . Never never lose hope ..

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Feb 25, 2013
That is some rough water there, where the currents clash. They train in the worst areas possible.
Pau

Since: Jan 11

Honolulu, HI

#4 Feb 25, 2013
What District 1 said.

Excellent.
B-Nice

Atlanta, GA

#5 Feb 26, 2013
ras wrote:
The coast guard may have stopped their search but this story is not yet over. This man is a survivor and a fantatsic person and until someone proves otherwise hope is not lost miracles happen everyday . Never never lose hope ..
ras, I agree. I served with this man when we were both new sailors. Dude has the heart of a lion.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#6 Feb 26, 2013
I plucked a Navy diver from the drink once. He had went off course outside of Pearl harbor and become separated from his diving partner. I picked him up about 1/2 mile away from where he got lost at, and other divers flagged me down while I was fishing. That current is swift, but what surprised me is that the navy divers were on a big unpowered diving barge with no way to help a swimmer in trouble. They should at least have a jet-ski handy. They also had NO communication with their base or any way to call for help. I thought it was one sorry operation.
USN USA

United States

#7 Feb 26, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
I plucked a Navy diver from the drink once. He had went off course outside of Pearl harbor and become separated from his diving partner. I picked him up about 1/2 mile away from where he got lost at, and other divers flagged me down while I was fishing. That current is swift, but what surprised me is that the navy divers were on a big unpowered diving barge with no way to help a swimmer in trouble. They should at least have a jet-ski handy. They also had NO communication with their base or any way to call for help. I thought it was one sorry operation.
I was stationed at Barber's Point for 2.5 years, and was a frequent visitor to the beaches of Makaha. The waves activity in that area is known all over the world of surfers. I have had my body planted in the sea bed just a few time.

This area has been used by the USN for years as a training area. But the civilian casualties far outnumber the military in those waters. The sea can be very unforgiving to man at times.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#8 Feb 26, 2013
USN USA wrote:
<quoted text>
I was stationed at Barber's Point for 2.5 years, and was a frequent visitor to the beaches of Makaha. The waves activity in that area is known all over the world of surfers. I have had my body planted in the sea bed just a few time.
This area has been used by the USN for years as a training area. But the civilian casualties far outnumber the military in those waters. The sea can be very unforgiving to man at times.
The point where they were training is really hazardous. It is usually rough and two current collide, creating big waves opposing each other. Makaha is calm compared to the point. I just hope the guy makes it somehow. They should have asked the civilian fisherman for assistance but they never do. They are all over out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipahu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Balls Colossal Blunders (Sep '13) 2 hr JRB 48
Commenting on "Protesting Blacks" is Off Limits... 2 hr JRB 226
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 2,886
News Obama Attends Memorial for Grandmother (Dec '08) 4 hr Marilyn Monroe Su... 66
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 7 hr Dimitri 4 458
News Hawaii Sperm Bank still in business, owner says... (Sep '09) 8 hr Dump da Chump Bird 26
Hawaii is Paradise on Earth. Come and share th... (Aug '15) 8 hr Joe 89
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waipahu Mortgages