Palin leaves open option of war with Russia

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin left open the option Thursday of waging war with Russia if it were to invade neighboring Georgia and the former Soviet republic were a NATO ally.
Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Richard

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

wow these articles,the couple before this one also,which I may add have no comment space,are definatly slanted
I guess I shouldn't be to supprised,this is the Sentinel,and Santa Cruz is a lib,UCSC hippy town
to bad too,it used to be a place where people respected one anothers views,and the media didn't try and force there liberal agenda on the citizens
Warts

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Russia is real close top Alaska a couple miles max.
Warts

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Palin knows those sneaky russians trying to sneak into the U.S so she's the bad guy I don't think so.
Slavic Baptist

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

She needs to go to mental patient facility and be there as a Nopoleon or Julios Sesar.
Crystal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

She needs to shut her mouth on this issue. This VP position has gone to her head.

Since: Sep 07

Edgewood, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

I'm afraid that Mrs. Palin is right in this case. If Russia was to invade Georgia, or any other country for that matter, to try to stay there.... the United States would have absolutely no choice but to go to war with them.
Really, if we want to avoid this frightening possibility, we have to start putting pressure on the Russian government to kick out the 'Putinites'.
Warts

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

That's funny I am nice to Russian they are very kind and in Seattle the law says Race Religion, Creed Ethnic origin thats the Law but Palin however is of course above the law in her own mind.
Slavic Baptist

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

We have to get rid of neocons as soon as we can. They are CRAZY!!! GEORGIA murdered lots of civilians,after that Russia kicked their Ass. Neocons are modern type fashists that is all.
Richard

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Leria wrote:
I'm afraid that Mrs. Palin is right in this case. If Russia was to invade Georgia, or any other country for that matter, to try to stay there.... the United States would have absolutely no choice but to go to war with them.
Really, if we want to avoid this frightening possibility, we have to start putting pressure on the Russian government to kick out the 'Putinites'.
Yesss,finally,and if Georgia was a member of Nato,one of the options would be war,thats the nature of Nato
Sarah would have no say in the matter,that is of corse if Nato grows a pair and actually follows through on there own mandates
Jack

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Crystal wrote:
She needs to shut her mouth on this issue. This VP position has gone to her head.
she was ASKED the question bonehead. You must be used to politicians dodging and weaving and saying cool things like, "uh, um, hmm, well ya see, at the end of the day". The Nobama rap..
Jack

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Leria wrote:
As for you. NOWHERE did she say that we would go to war with russia. She said that as a fellow NATO member we would be called on and expected to HELP. HELP leaves MANY options open. Financial aid and sanctions being 2 of the many ways we could HELP.
Alex

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Well.... Then get ready for the end of the world. That is all I can say.. The pro war neocons have won

“No User serviceable”

Since: Aug 08

parts inside.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Georgia attacked Ossetia, Russia defended it's former-State.
What's the big deal?
The Us would certainly respond with Troops if Puerto Rico was attacked by Venezuela.
Obama eats pork

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Alex wrote:
Well.... Then get ready for the end of the world. That is all I can say.. The pro war neocons have won
Sounds like the left is crumbling.
Putin DOCTRINE

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
she was ASKED the question bonehead. You must be used to politicians dodging and weaving and saying cool things like, "uh, um, hmm, well ya see, at the end of the day". The Nobama rap..
HUSSEIN does not understand Putin Doctrine, Vladimir is gonna have to take HUSSEIN to school !!
HILLARY Clinton

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
As for you. NOWHERE did she say that we would go to war with russia. She said that as a fellow NATO member we would be called on and expected to HELP. HELP leaves MANY options open. Financial aid and sanctions being 2 of the many ways we could HELP.
idiot Hussein wants to get out of NATO
the eye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

HILLARY Clinton wrote:
HUSSEIN wants to pull USA out of NATO
Link to your NON-PARTISAN source?

Ahem...that's what I thought.

Next irrelevant argument please.
newguy40

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

The Sentinel has just as biased and inflammatory as the NYT and DailyKos.

As anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge knows that the US is treaty bound to respond to attacks on NATO members. What else is she going to say?

Remind me who said what from Herald Sun.
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt...

"The other war a President Palin would start, according to Mitchell, was with Russia over Georgia (should Georgia be a NATO member, which it isn’t). Again, the transcript might sound alarming:

I would also argue that we have the right to take unilateral military action to eliminate an imminent threat to our security— so long as an imminent threat is understood to be a nation, group, or individual that is actively preparing to strike U.S. targets (or allies with which the United States has mutual defense agreements)...

And those allies should include Georgia:

I have consistently called for deepening relations between Georgia and transatlantic institutions, including a Membership Action Plan for NATO...

Oops. Again, that’s Obama. Here is Palin:

Asked whether the United States would have to go to war with Russia if it invaded Georgia, and the country was part of NATO, Palin said:“Perhaps so.”

“I mean, that is the agreement when you are a NATO ally, is if another country is attacked, you’re going to be expected to be called upon and help,” she said.

Pressed on the question, Palin responded:“What I think is that smaller democratic countries that are invaded by a larger power is something for us to be vigilant against ... We have got to show the support, in this case, for Georgia. The support that we can show is economic sanctions perhaps against Russia, if this is what it leads to.”

Since: Sep 07

Edgewood, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, but the only thing that NATO is usually called upon for 'help' with is Armed Forces. That is the ONLY thing that most countries want NATO's help with.
Jack

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Commander Bunny wrote:
Georgia attacked Ossetia, Russia defended it's former-State.
What's the big deal?
The Us would certainly respond with Troops if Puerto Rico was attacked by Venezuela.
well seeing how puerto rico is an american territory...seriously? you GOT to be a democrat..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wainwright Discussions

Search the Wainwright Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
In Alaska, it seems they've been slimed (Jul '09) Apr '14 Beefcurtains 8
Bulletin 02/09/14 Feb '14 Ray 1
Ataleaya Saganitso (Aug '13) Aug '13 Smallnavajo 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
AK Who do you support for Governor in Alaska in 2010? (Oct '10) Feb '13 Nope 24
usaa- friend or foe (Jul '11) Jul '11 USAA INS-FRIEND OR FOE 1
AK August 23 Alaska Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) Jun '11 Fulltimer322 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Wainwright Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wainwright People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••