'I just can't believe he's gone' - Ha...

'I just can't believe he's gone' - Hawaii News

There are 67 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 20, 2009, titled 'I just can't believe he's gone' - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A newlywed killed in a crash on Pali Highway is recalled as a dedicated father who was at a high point in his life By Leila Fujimori POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Nov 20, 2009 Return to Paginated View Married only three days, 43-year-old Michael Allen Borges was driving home on Pali Highway with his new bride, Fran, when a car cut in front of them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
nalo country

Houston, TX

#1 Nov 20, 2009
Condolences to the Borges family.
sad

San Diego, CA

#2 Nov 20, 2009
it just never end and with the holidays coming we can expect more deaths and more devastated families
enufalready

Honolulu, HI

#3 Nov 20, 2009
Tragic.

Pali Highway ... a road that seems to inspire Oahu's thousands of scofflaws to go beyond themselves. The speeding is simply off the charts. If you travel that road and maintain 40 to 45 mph in the 35 mph zone from downtown up to the end of the residential area, you will be tailgated, cut off, stink eyed and challenged by almost every other driver in turn. Go below 60 mph in the upper areas and the road rage becomes palpable. Through the tunnels and near the 25 mph slick, curvy and narrow areas the idiots rule and their bumper riding antics are truly death defying.

Oh, there will be a period of ticketing again now that another fatal crash has exposed the death zone and the HPD's failure to adequately patrol, enforce, and keep the lid on the maniacs. But before too long we'll read of more mayhem on the Pali and more mourning in another family or two, or three, or four ...
Pops

Pearl City, HI

#4 Nov 20, 2009
SPEED AND ALCOHOL, WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?
Windward Driver

Aiea, HI

#5 Nov 20, 2009
There is a fear that knots my stomach when I'm driving, and it comes when I see that one speeding driver coming behind me, and I wonder if that driver is the one who's going to cause a crash. I no longer say "accident," because those drivers are a crash waiting to happen, and it is no accident. The downhill highways of Pali and Likelike seem to entice these knuckleheads to push the limits on speed. That combined with the "ai no kea" mentality spells disaster.(BTW-let's get rid of the Ainokea brand.) God bless the Borges family. May the young son know peace. My heart truly breaks for him and the others in the `ohana.
Thurs

Keauhou, HI

#6 Nov 20, 2009
What drivers can do when they see a car coming up fast in their rear view mirror is move over to the right hand lane. Cars in adjacent lanes should not match speeds preventing faster cars from passing. People can say they have every right to drive in the left hand lane and follow speed limits however in some cases it is just not worth it when the speeder is reckless and willing to run people off the road.
yep

San Diego, CA

#7 Nov 20, 2009
Windward Driver wrote:
There is a fear that knots my stomach when I'm driving, and it comes when I see that one speeding driver coming behind me, and I wonder if that driver is the one who's going to cause a crash. I no longer say "accident," because those drivers are a crash waiting to happen, and it is no accident. The downhill highways of Pali and Likelike seem to entice these knuckleheads to push the limits on speed. That combined with the "ai no kea" mentality spells disaster.(BTW-let's get rid of the Ainokea brand.) God bless the Borges family. May the young son know peace. My heart truly breaks for him and the others in the `ohana.
and its not just the speed, it is their reckless disregard for life assome of these criminals intentionally wait to the last minute to change lanes --- you are their highway cone

it is easy to say that kids will be kids --- but this is beyond that --- the highway is full of kids that are in complete disregard of our lives --- a simple miscalculation of their "skills" and they are murderers
MGarcia

Honolulu, HI

#8 Nov 20, 2009
..don't just look in front of you, always look around you (use all the mirrors constantly); you can be as careful as a bomb squad expert approaching a foreign object, but someone could always pop up and say "boo!"..I agree with WD, that downhill slope off Pali and Like Like (after the tunnel) are a common ground for accidents waiting to happen//
AJA

Honolulu, HI

#9 Nov 20, 2009
Per a recent update on Ch 2 News weblink, a witness interview states that a Dark Green Honda Civic is the car that caused this accident...there should be substatial damage due to the collision with the other cars. Let be cautious on the road, yet be alert to see this car and call HPD.
Veems

Honolulu, HI

#10 Nov 20, 2009
This is so sad, married only 3 days! I am in shock! I know Mike from 24Hour Fitness. He is really a nice guy, always poking fun with me, making everyone laugh. RIP Bruddah Mike
The Real Karen

United States

#11 Nov 20, 2009
I hope they catch this guy. If he has a conscience he should turn himself in. The web is closing and he'll get caught anyway. A damn shame. RIP
local

Kailua, HI

#12 Nov 20, 2009
Witnesses said a police cruiser was chasing the vehicle that caused the accident. Whatever happened to that. You think that police officer got some description. My condolences to the Borges family.
alice

United States

#13 Nov 20, 2009
There is far too much drinking, meth use, fast driving and aggressive driving out there. Please just stop it!
2kidsplus1

Kaneohe, HI

#14 Nov 20, 2009
My heart goes out to the Borges family. WHY is it always the innocent one that gets killed?
May the person responsible for these accidents, never live their life in peace, until you come forward to face what you deserve.
If this person was driving so erratically, I hope there was ONE good samaritan that got the license number, and a look at the jerka..!
Bernie, and family, our hearts share your pain, take care!
Duck Aiona

Honolulu, HI

#16 Nov 20, 2009
Another innocent good guy killed by a punk racing demons or high on drugs.
The law should be changed so reckless driving is punishable by life in prison. It's the same as shooting a gun and killing somebody. Why is it ok to kill with a car? Look at all the punks racing or speeding not caring if they kill or paralyze your loved ones. Legislators should upgrade laws to felonies even for cell phone use while driving kills just as many innocent people.
Damien

Honolulu, HI

#17 Nov 20, 2009
The Legislators should increase speeding and reckless driving tickets to $10,000 or 20 years in prison. Higher fines and jail time will make Hawaii a safer and more peaceful place. Legislators get off your bottoms and do something. Legislators Suze Chun Oakland and Corrine Ching stop being so lazy and fight for felony classifications for vehicle crimes.
Mililani Opinion

Honolulu, HI

#18 Nov 20, 2009
negligent-homicide? This is murder! The driver of the offending vehicle knew s/he actions were illegal and dangerous. The coward (emphasis) has not even come forward to accept resposibility. When s/he is caught, a public hanging would deter others - let's give it a try?
auntie of a soldier

Herndon, VA

#19 Nov 20, 2009
Veems wrote:
This is so sad, married only 3 days! I am in shock! I know Mike from 24Hour Fitness. He is really a nice guy, always poking fun with me, making everyone laugh. RIP Bruddah Mike
My husband knew him from job at the Marine base. What a great guy! It could happen to any of us! Please people, look for this car. I know that feeling when you see them coming up behind you (slightly sick and praying for the best) and the relief when they pass you by without incident. I feel sick now just thinking about it.
shelleys

Rancho Cordova, CA

#20 Nov 20, 2009
R.I.P Micheal Allen.. I have known this family along time. Please come foward if you know any thing. my prayers go out to the Borges/Hipa family.. may they fine peace and closure..
GoWarriors

Honolulu, HI

#21 Nov 20, 2009
MESSAGE TO CHIEF KEALOHA:
TIME TO GET THESE IDIOT SPEEDERS UNDERCONTROL. THE 7 CAR ACCIDENT ON WEDNESDAY MORNING WAS PROBABLY DUE TO SPEEDING AND CONSTANT LANE CHANGES.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waimanalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
good old days of the 1960's Apr 23 kokohead 7
News Remembering the Kailua of old (Sep '08) Apr 16 jomothasass 15
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Apr '16 haoleboy 431
News Barack Obama enjoys a hike in windy weather wit... Apr '16 Liz 2
Sit-lie ban - Scott MacMillan (Apr '15) Mar '16 Blanca Celis De H... 4
News Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Mar '16 jomothasass 62,115
News Bruce Milles (Sep '08) Feb '16 Poliahu 42
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waimanalo Mortgages