B&B bill reflected Marshall's passion...

B&B bill reflected Marshall's passion - Hawaii Editorials

There are 16 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 24, 2009, titled B&B bill reflected Marshall's passion - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I did not intend to "scold" anyone during the Dec. 16 City Council meeting, as was reported in the Star-Bulletin on Dec.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Lei

Waipahu, HI

#1 Dec 24, 2009
I was wondering how the owner of the Kailua beach house where Obama is staying is getting by with renting for less than 30 days.
Kailuaresident

Honolulu, HI

#2 Dec 24, 2009
The B and B lobby virtually funded and ran Ikaikas campaign. Yet he dodged the issue every time it was asked of him during that campaign. How underhanded!
He better be looking over his shoulder. Rumor is Keep Kailua Kailua will be organizing a recall petetion. Ill be quite glad to sign it...
alice

United States

#3 Dec 24, 2009
anderson is a rip off artist like his old man i am told
aku

San Diego, CA

#4 Dec 24, 2009
Enjoy your one short useless term Ikaika Anderson , and by the way, grow up while your at it.
ikaika

Honolulu, HI

#5 Dec 24, 2009
To quote Joe Wilson, "You Lie!"
Aloha

Ewa Beach, HI

#6 Dec 24, 2009
I would like to commend Mr. Anderson for his sincere efforts to help resolve what is obviously a very emotional issue. While it is one thing to disagree with him, it is quite another thing to slander him and his family. We people of Hawaii cannot accept this kind of petty ugliness. This may be acceptable on the mainland, here we reject it and those who would pollute Hawaii with it.

Aloha
Castle Grad

Kihei, HI

#7 Dec 24, 2009
alice wrote:
anderson is a rip off artist like his old man i am told
Wrong on both. Actually Sen. Whitney Anderson is his grand father. I have personally known their family for over 30 years and they are good, straight up people. Ikaika showed a lot of guts and tried his best to find a middle ground compromise. Too bad the 2 sides were too far apart to do that. I give him credit, though to attempt to finish the work his mentor Barbara Marshall started. Better than that guy Steve Holmes who promised us a lot, but never delivered on new sidewalks and drainage. Always found a way to blame the mayor--- Frank Fasi, then Harris. I don't know much about vacation rentals, but it can't be worse than "moke alley", where I live. Parties every night, trucks parked all over blocking driveways, young kids making out right under our living room window, stuff stolen from the garage. These are my neighbors all year round and I can't stop them...I'd trade living on the beach next to a vacation rental any time. Anyone like trade?
fo real

Kailua, HI

#8 Dec 24, 2009
Castle Grad wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong on both. Actually Sen. Whitney Anderson is his grand father. I have personally known their family for over 30 years and they are good, straight up people. Ikaika showed a lot of guts and tried his best to find a middle ground compromise. Too bad the 2 sides were too far apart to do that. I give him credit, though to attempt to finish the work his mentor Barbara Marshall started. Better than that guy Steve Holmes who promised us a lot, but never delivered on new sidewalks and drainage. Always found a way to blame the mayor--- Frank Fasi, then Harris. I don't know much about vacation rentals, but it can't be worse than "moke alley", where I live. Parties every night, trucks parked all over blocking driveways, young kids making out right under our living room window, stuff stolen from the garage. These are my neighbors all year round and I can't stop them...I'd trade living on the beach next to a vacation rental any time. Anyone like trade?
Actually, as I listen to the domestic dispute behind me (complete with stuff being thrown into the walls & out the windows) and my local neighbors party hardy with their huge trucks on the sidewalk, blocking our driveway, music full blast... I doubt seriously you'd want to trade with me - I'd take a vacation rental over that, too!:-P

I guess Anderson did what Marshall would have done had she been here - but too many 'old guard' Kailuans here aren't going for it. On the bright side, they'll probably be dead & gone within a few years, so I'm sure things will change then. Meanwhile, I'll shut my windows, turn up the Christmas carols, and wish I'd bought that Rice Dream 'Holiday Nog' earlier today as I watch a Western instead of the news. Aloha & Merry Christmas :-)
NoBIll7

Honolulu, HI

#9 Dec 25, 2009
And if it was a middle ground, why was the DPP version and Okino's version rejected by the Zoning Committee? Instead we got a watered down Bill 7 which still had minimal enforcement tools and eliminated neighborhood input into permitting.

Versions of Bill 7 even attempted to limit the complaints processed by DPP to "verifiable" ones, meaning a factual account of ticketed/enforced violations from those empowered to enforce, like police. However, let's take parking off street for example (supposedly one of the main benefits of this bill). If a B&B guest parked off-street in an otherwise legal space, they will not be ticketed; so what is the purpose of having required parking on site if we cannot even make B&B guests park there? We'd have to re-write the traffic ordinance to enforce in conformity with Bill 7. And what is the purpose of making a complaint if they won't be ticketed in the first place? So much for any effective complaining about parking off-site, and that was supposed to be one of the strengths of this bill. Plain nonsense in the bill, I think.

And where is the commercial property tax? Hotels pay commercial tax for their business use. If anyone opens a commercial operation in a residence, they will normally be liable for commercial property taxes; for example if I opened a CPA office in my home, I would pay the price or the city would come after me. But NOT B&B operators; Bill 7 specifically included resident home owner deduction as part of the B&B definition. No way they can be taxed as other commercial enterprises. They got special treatment.

I heard the testimony by DPP at several hearings during Marshall's term and afterwards. This was not middle ground with plenty of enforcement. I think Mr. Okino's version was truly middle ground, with enforcement, health/safety provisions as well as neighborhood input. Moreover, I believe this article is a skewed presentation of facts and I believe Mr. Anderson is trying to make himself look good with this self-serving piece. Good luck getting my vote. I hope the neighborhood tries a recall. I'll be there to help.
NoBIll7

Honolulu, HI

#10 Dec 25, 2009
I forgot to add that one version of Bill 7 added just before the final hearing allowed the B&B permit to transfer with the land title and will NOT, as Mr. Anderson writes above, terminate the B&B permit with the sale of the property. A very colorful article indeed. If CPAs can go to jail for "colorful" accounting, we should think about politicians doing the same for this kind of mischaracterization.
You scratch my back

Ewa Beach, HI

#11 Dec 25, 2009
Aloha wrote:
I would like to commend Mr. Anderson for his sincere efforts to help resolve what is obviously a very emotional issue. While it is one thing to disagree with him, it is quite another thing to slander him and his family. We people of Hawaii cannot accept this kind of petty ugliness. This may be acceptable on the mainland, here we reject it and those who would pollute Hawaii with it.
Aloha
This person must have illegal rentals. You scratch my back and I scratch your back. The city cannot even regulate the laws now. They are not going to control any new laws. Anderson cannot keep hiding behind Marshall's name. He's sold himself to the special interests.
96795east

Kailua Kona, HI

#12 Dec 25, 2009
Barbara was a lobbyist for small hoteliers in Kailua. Big gun hotels could now come in to franchise those B&B's and give their owners a good income. There are noooo City Laws covering hotel shell corporations.
alice

United States

#13 Dec 25, 2009
Castle Grad wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong on both. Actually Sen. Whitney Anderson is his grand father. I have personally known their family for over 30 years and they are good, straight up people. Ikaika showed a lot of guts and tried his best to find a middle ground compromise. Too bad the 2 sides were too far apart to do that. I give him credit, though to attempt to finish the work his mentor Barbara Marshall started. Better than that guy Steve Holmes who promised us a lot, but never delivered on new sidewalks and drainage. Always found a way to blame the mayor--- Frank Fasi, then Harris. I don't know much about vacation rentals, but it can't be worse than "moke alley", where I live. Parties every night, trucks parked all over blocking driveways, young kids making out right under our living room window, stuff stolen from the garage. These are my neighbors all year round and I can't stop them...I'd trade living on the beach next to a vacation rental any time. Anyone like trade?
Yikes...whar a horror....pre-teens mate like bunnies in this town..and right under this man's window! Yuck
Hana bada

Mililani, HI

#14 Dec 25, 2009
The snivel drivel horror.
Ugh

Kailua Kona, HI

#15 Dec 25, 2009
Can someone PLEASE tell me why Anderson is getting yet another free ad (disguised as an editorial) for his horrible ill-conceived bill? It was bad enough that he sold out his district to special interest and then when the council voted it down, all involved saw his tantrum and "scolding" of the other council members. Will the star bulletin pleasae stop giving this guy press - we are sick of hearing from him.
alice

United States

#16 Dec 25, 2009
nope...the morals of too many families here are atrocious. Teach your sons to keep jeans on! geesh

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waimanalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pterodactyl Jul 5 D Grottoli 1
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Jul 5 Fkemallracist 434
News Schnitzer Steel Hawaii halts buying scrap metal... (Oct '08) Jun 27 Joe Balls 23
Kailua nightclubs memorialized Jun '17 beebee 1
News The pub life in Kailua - Features (Feb '09) Jun '17 beebee 5
News Coqui crisis? What coqui crisis? - Hawaii Edito... (Jul '09) Jun '17 We ALL love Prez ... 18
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) May '17 Musikologist 20

Waimanalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waimanalo Mortgages