Infant's remains returned to couple - Hawaii News

The prayers of a Waimanalo couple were answered yesterday after a man returned the stolen ashes of their stillborn son. Full Story
Mililani_Bob

Bloomington, IL

#1 Nov 21, 2009
Sometimes even "bad people" will do something good to overshadow their criminal activity, and this is an example of it. One can't imagine what was going on in the minds of both parties as the transfer of ashes was being made, but it had to have been an emotional moment. I'm happy for the Mejia family, and credit goes to the "bad person" who was compassionate enough to return the ashes.
yep

Pearl City, HI

#2 Nov 21, 2009
maybe a family member got through to a another member of their family that is a criminal and convinced them to do the right thing

as long as people still have a sense of guilt --- there is hope
Namaste

Honolulu, HI

#3 Nov 21, 2009
oh wellll
The Real Karen

United States

#4 Nov 21, 2009
Mililani_Bob wrote:
Sometimes even "bad people" will do something good to overshadow their criminal activity, and this is an example of it. One can't imagine what was going on in the minds of both parties as the transfer of ashes was being made, but it had to have been an emotional moment. I'm happy for the Mejia family, and credit goes to the "bad person" who was compassionate enough to return the ashes.
If they really wanted to atone they would have returned the other stuff too. Or better yet, not broken in in the first place. I give the returner of the ashes no credit whatsoever. If he didn't also return the insurance cards, and airline mileage I "possibly" could have believe his story that he found the ashes on the side of the road. He didn't return the ashes for the families sake, he did it for his own sake. Karma would have come crashing down hard on him. Not to mention a few other things, possibily.
wacko

Wahiawa, HI

#5 Nov 21, 2009
The guy who returned the ashes is probably just as guilty as the robbers. In the end, they will all be haunted by their actions to commit criminal activity. May the robbers have bad luck in the future.
Dennis

Honolulu, HI

#6 Nov 21, 2009
Whoever initiated this disruptive and selfish event, I just gotta ask: "Was this necessary?"
Haleiwa Dad

Wahiawa, HI

#7 Nov 21, 2009
The returned ashes were very likely found abandoned beside the road. Burglars typically rummage through their loot, keep what they want, and throw out the rest as they flee. Why assume the return was by the burglars? What would you do if you found such a thing beside the road? The return of ashes was a charitable act by a stranger, with the added dignity of ti leaf ornament. He and his wife shared a very human, and mortal, acknowledgment that we all go strangers through this brief life on our way to a mysterious and great unknown.

Bless this family, and bless those who stepped up to help them. May the burglars, too, ask for forgiveness and amend their lives.
kawika at washington

Bothell, WA

#9 Nov 21, 2009
This person or persons who stole and then put the ashes on the side of the road will be hunted for life what goes around comes around. Bless the family for their return of their love one.
usagi

Wailuku, HI

#10 Nov 21, 2009
Nice family. Too bad they had to go through this. Idiots now days have no respect for people and their property. Hope the thieves get busted when they try to sell the jewelry.
Beadie

United States

#11 Nov 21, 2009
The Real Karen wrote:
<quoted text>
If they really wanted to atone they would have returned the other stuff too. Or better yet, not broken in in the first place. I give the returner of the ashes no credit whatsoever. If he didn't also return the insurance cards, and airline mileage I "possibly" could have believe his story that he found the ashes on the side of the road. He didn't return the ashes for the families sake, he did it for his own sake. Karma would have come crashing down **** him. Not to mention a few other things, possibily.
Agree with you 100%. Returning the ashes might not be enough to save this guy. Too little, too late.
realmerv

Wahiawa, HI

#12 Nov 21, 2009
Haleiwa Dad wrote:
The returned ashes were very likely found abandoned beside the road. Burglars typically rummage through their loot, keep what they want, and throw out the rest as they flee. Why assume the return was by the burglars? What would you do if you found such a thing beside the road? The return of ashes was a charitable act by a stranger, with the added dignity of ti leaf ornament. He and his wife shared a very human, and mortal, acknowledgment that we all go strangers through this brief life on our way to a mysterious and great unknown.
Bless this family, and bless those who stepped up to help them. May the burglars, too, ask for forgiveness and amend their lives.

I wouldn't be surprised that the burglars were this man's kids. The kids probably didn't recognize that the object was an urn and took it. The father probably recognized what it was right away and didn't want bad luck to befall his family and thus decorated it with tea leaves.

It would be more believable that the man was not somehow involved with the burglary if the man had just returned the urn and not the cards. But he returned the cards so it is very likely that his family members burglarized the home.
realmerv

Wahiawa, HI

#13 Nov 21, 2009
correction: Should be ti leaves.
bu la ia

Pearl City, HI

#14 Nov 21, 2009
What a shock, found in Waianae....
Localboy

United States

#15 Nov 21, 2009
This is a very sad story. Whoever is responsible for taking Mr. and Mrs. Mejia's property should be ashamed of yourself. I really do not know how you can look at yourself in the mirror. May you rot in H!!!.
Jr Boy

Williston, VT

#16 Nov 22, 2009
Long ago my friends 4x4 truck was stolen. Nobody knew who stole it. His father made one call and made it be known he wanted his son's truck back immediately. Through the bygone days of the "coconut wireless" the message was delivered to those who ripped off the truck. The truck showed up in his front yard the next day without a scratch and with all the tools in the toolbox and with a full tank of gas. The benefits of an organized Hawaii before the feds got in the act.
sideline

AOL

#17 Nov 22, 2009
bachi ga atru

“Mestizo Rule!”

Since: Jun 08

Tokyo, Japan

#18 Nov 22, 2009
Local boy wrote:
This is a very sad story. Whoever is responsible for taking Mr. and Mrs. Mejia's property should be ashamed of yourself. I really do not know how you can look at yourself in the mirror. May you rot in H!!!.
Judge not, lest you be judged. I am gratified that a concern for the bereaved family brought some sense into a right thinking person. I have often seen a similar call go out to the public for the restoration of a precious guitar or an ukulele stolen from some one's vehicle. But this is of a more personal nature, and we should not be less grateful for the urn's return.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#19 Nov 23, 2009
usagi wrote:
Nice family. Too bad they had to go through this. Idiots now days have no respect for people and their property. Hope the thieves get busted when they try to sell the jewelry.
True..the entire thing is grotesque

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waimanalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
President Obama's Hawaii vacation: Day 1 2 hr Book him Danno 8
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) 11 hr Musikologist 15
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Sat Guru 61,943
Holiday Greeting: LCR Troy Dotson Dec 13 MOMIN ANSARI 1
Items left by homeless campers removed from Kan... Dec 6 Guru 2
Mayor Caldwell signs Expansion of 'Sit-Lie' Bill Dec 2 Joe Balls 2
Zara, Uniqlo actively looking at Hawaii retail ... Oct '14 Joe Balls 1

High Surf Warning for Honolulu County was issued at December 21 at 8:40PM HST

Waimanalo Dating
Find my Match