Drowning resurrects call for lifeguards

Drowning resurrects call for lifeguards

There are 42 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 2, 2008, titled Drowning resurrects call for lifeguards. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

By Gary T. Kubota gkubota@starbulletin.com WAILUKU A second Maui visitor has died this year in waters off Makena State Beach, renewing complaints about government delays in posting lifeguards on the shoreline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
calguy

United States

#1 May 2, 2008
Lifeguards at popular beaches anywhere are a MUST, Now! Not by August or September. Now!
nobody

United States

#2 May 2, 2008
How many more people have to die until the state does something. This seems like a real no brainer but leave it to the state to let multiple people die while they do nothing as usual.
hate politics

Tempe, AZ

#3 May 2, 2008
That's why we should elect all new politicians into office. The ones we got now suck.....
NorthShoreRes

United States

#4 May 2, 2008
Whatever happened to being personally responsible for our own actions? Why is the State of Hawaii responsible to keep us safe in our waters? We make the decision to enter the water and should do so only after understanding our own capabilities and the conditions at the time. It is not our government's responsibility to interfere with our personal freedom of choice. We are personally responsible for our own actions.
TakeFromWhitePla insBeach

Pearl City, HI

#5 May 2, 2008
You can have the life guards from White Plains Beach over on Barbers... Kalaeloa...

Just make sure your kids aren't on the beach at the same time... These little guys like running around with their 4-wheel bike and nearly ran over my Grand Kids on multiple occasions...

So much for safety... To make sure the kids don't drown is one thing... Now we have to make sure the "safety help" doesn't take the kids out...
anobody

Holualoa, HI

#6 May 2, 2008
NorthShoreRes wrote:
Whatever happened to being personally responsible for our own actions? Why is the State of Hawaii responsible to keep us safe in our waters? We make the decision to enter the water and should do so only after understanding our own capabilities and the conditions at the time. It is not our government's responsibility to interfere with our personal freedom of choice. We are personally responsible for our own actions.
totally agree,alot of parents see life gaurds and think they're baby sitters and too everybody else,when you go beach bring your brains along.
AintGoinBack

Middlebury, CT

#8 May 2, 2008
TakeFromWhitePlainsBeach wrote:
You Just make sure your kids aren't on the beach at the same time... These little guys like running around with their 4-wheel bike and nearly ran over my Grand Kids on multiple occasions...
To make sure the kids don't drown is one thing... Now we have to make sure the "safety help" doesn't take the kids out...
I thought this was part of the State Senate's POLULAION CONTROL initiative? Noticed less traffic recently =)
AintGoinBack

Middlebury, CT

#9 May 2, 2008
POPULATION...oops, I got meth from my teacha...

kidding...pretty sure...
Krakin

Honolulu, HI

#10 May 2, 2008
nobody wrote:
How many more people have to die until the state does something. This seems like a real no brainer but leave it to the state to let multiple people die while they do nothing as usual.
Wait, is it the state's responsibility to provide water safety personnel or is it the individual county's? Is it a "no brainer" not to swim in an unfamiliar body of water with 4- 5 foot shore breaks? Remeber that kid who spread eagle over the blow hole on the east side of Oahu? HFD found his mangled body the next day. Wasn't that a "no brainer"? WAIT for the autopsy reports... maybe the people died from heart attacks or other factors, not from drowning. Maybe it was just a coincidence that they were in the water at the time of death.
An Observer

Kapaa, HI

#12 May 2, 2008
The Legislature (when it finally gets it's act together) should pass a law stating that tourist guidebooks that advise vistors to try beaches without lifeguards, shall be at least 50% responsible for the people that get injured. For advising people to tresspass, it shoudl be 80%.
former lifeguard

Honolulu, HI

#15 May 2, 2008
I can't count the hundreds of tourists who I rescued from drowning. Do they ever listen to safety warnings or danger signs-NOPE. Do they go out on huge north shore and sandy's days-yep. Do they ever say thank you to the lifeguard - nope.

Spending tax dollars to rescue them when they obviously don't value their own lives doesn't make sense.
AintGoinBack

Middlebury, CT

#16 May 2, 2008
geepaa wrote:
why are people from outside Hawaii commenting on this stuff. Hawaii people only. Connecticut and California mind your own damned business. Dumb.
Site is on the World-Wide-Web...Not the Hawaii-Wide-Web....if you have a problem, simply invent the Hawaii-Wide-Web and then GOOGLE hww.UPYERZ.com
Mad Hawaiian

Troy, NY

#17 May 2, 2008
Excuse me. Did you not say there ARE signs warning of Undertows? Is it really necessary to have paid lifeguards present there to be sure you have read the signs? From the name of the unfortunate drowning victim,I am assuming he was capable of reading and understanding English. This suggests that he made the choice to ignore the warning signs, especially the one about using common sense. Please understand, this does not mean that I have no sympathy for the victim and his family. Locals have watched tourists for generations with absolutely no respect for the sea defy common sense. This is, regrettably, another one of those.
A Friend of Gene

Placentia, CA

#18 May 3, 2008
Wow, look at all the blame and finger pointing here! Whatever happened to having some respect for the man that died? Gene Ward was a close friend of mine for 20+ years and a strong swimmer. We don't even know what in fact happened at this point as the autopsy hasn't been completed. It would be presumptuous to even try to indicate otherwise. All we know is that he and his partner went snorkeling in Maui - Jeff came out and Gene did not. It's also interesting the anti-tourism sentiment here, especially from a "former lifeguard" who is paid to be in public-safety. I am in Public-Safety here in California - it's our mission to save lives regardless of sentiment or occurrence. Certainly, there is no "Aloha" spirit here. I would ask that everyone think about stepping back from their positions until all medical results come back on this extremely unfortunate incident. And please, have a little respect for Gene and Jeff and their families. Don Wise
boney okole

Lanai City, HI

#19 May 3, 2008
The aloha spirit lives inside each idividual. One persons' attitude doesn't speak for an entie state. His point is this, I think: be responsible and humble yourself in an unfamiliar place. Get yoursel in physical shape to enjoy the activities of an athletic place. Find a beach that is more conducive to your skill. We all feel the pain of losina a loved one. But, we need more responsibility on the part of the visitor, and more professionalism from even a "former lifeguard".
The state will not takke responsibility for those beaches because of budgeting/liability issues. Once they do, they are responsble. i thenk they need to identify who is the legal owner of the area and how do they distiguish responsibility for the area.ie: incorporated vs unincorporated...
Makelo

Kihei, HI

#20 May 3, 2008
I was there the day this man died. I and my wife watched the two snorkelers swimming in the area. This was about an hour and a half before the incident. We commented to one another about the fact that they were snorkeling in such choppy water with high swells. We sure wouldn't be out there, but we figured these guys knew what they were doing. The currents were also strong that day. As a matter of fact, two days before we were caught in a rip tide that we fortunately navigated our way out of with the help of fins we had on at the time.
When I saw these two men out in what looked like a dangerous situation, I wanted to warn them, but I would have endangered my own life in the process. He probably drowned right in front of us and we never were aware of it until rescue appeared. We watched the whole scene unfold. The searching, the finding and the recovery of the man's body. A grime and reverent scene to witness the passing of a fellow human.
Most people, including myself, never think it can happen to them. I don't care if you are a local or a visitor.
I'm not sure having a life guard on duty would have prevented what happened that day, unless someone went out to where they were and tapped them on the shoulder and told them they had to get out of that area.
Life happens and so does death. Considering how many people where on those beaches that day, it's a miracle there weren't more incidents.
God bless the family of the victim.
A Friend

Santa Monica, CA

#21 May 4, 2008
Wow..I can't believe how it hurts me to read some of these postings. I am grieving for a man I have adored since the day I met him. He was a kind soul. So very non judgmental. I understand that we are all free to speak, thank God, I hope we always will have our freedoms. So, my addition to this forum is simply that I knew this man, he was strong, intelligent, careful..... many things. He was important to me and now I can only keep him in my heart. Becky Trenor
Makelo

Kihei, HI

#22 May 5, 2008
I also grieved for this man and I never met or knew him. My heart also went out to those who did know him and love him, although they too, are unknown to me. It was a tragic loss and a scene I will not forget.
DEANA POWELL

North Hollywood, CA

#23 May 5, 2008
I always wanted to go to Maui, one day swim surf, hang ten and just have a good ole time, But after reading all the negative comments, about a life that was lost , that just happen to be a friend, I say if this is how they treat a lost life then my money will be better off going to some place with warmer heartfelt place ALOHA MY .......
a friend of gene ward

North Hollywood, CA

#24 May 5, 2008
Mad Hawaiian wrote:
Excuse me. Did you not say there ARE signs warning of Undertows? Is it really necessary to have paid lifeguards present there to be sure you have read the signs? From the name of the unfortunate drowning victim,I am assuming he was capable of reading and understanding English. This suggests that he made the choice to ignore the warning signs, especially the one about using common sense. Please understand, this does not mean that I have no sympathy for the victim and his family. Locals have watched tourists for generations with absolutely no respect for the sea defy common sense. This is, regrettably, another one of those.
i am a friend of gene and this horrible insensitive comment from you is extremely mean.you are an ugly individual!!!!!!
have some common sense and show some respect for gene ward.lifeguards are suposse to be there to save lifes and if there had been a lifeguard present maybe my friend gene would be alive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wailuku Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hawaii Senate passes bill to extend Honolulu ge... Apr '15 LeCar 1
News Tam Ho not guilty in Maui incident - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Feb '15 Frustrated 43
News State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) Jan '15 Barack the Yellow 5
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jan '15 Musikologist 10
Rudeness (Mar '14) Jan '15 SoontoRetire 3
News Gas prices drop, but could it be more? Jan '15 Guru 2
Lahaina Music Thread (Aug '13) Dec '14 Musikologist 7
More from around the web

Wailuku People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]