Parasites cause intense pain for Big Isle victims - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

WAILUKU A rare ailment that comes from eating poorly washed local produce has hit three Big Island residents in recent weeks, causing extreme pain and hospitalization.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Grinchie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Judged:

Angry in Puna wrote:
I go out every night and with a bowl of hydrated lime, get all the slugs I see. They are seasonal, appearing during the wet winter months. These horrible mollusks have spread so quickly: a few years ago, they were not on my property. Now, they have migrated from Papaya Farms Road and climb on every surface they come to: the car, the catchment tank, outdoor trashcans, rock walls, leaves... It's disgusting.
I think that part of the problem is the Ag Inspection at airports and harbors. They are so adamant about not taking things OUT of Hawaii, but ANYTHING can get INTO Hawaii: coquis, slugs, brown tree snakes. The state needs to keep up with their inspections.
Also, what about the doctors? We 'import' doctors from the mainland who know nothing about tropical diseases, and so they turn away people who have these diseases such as rat lungworm, and eventhose affected by the vog: malpractice, anyone? They don't even listen, but call you crazy, say there's nothing wrong with you, and send you home. THey've done it to my mother, and they've done it to a friend of mine: the 24-year old man from Puna who was Medivaced to Queens on Oahu because Hilo turned him away. He too is in a coma and dying.
I blame the medical teams who come to Hawaii without any study in tropical diseases; I blame the State for not paying attention to invasive species coming into Hawaii. Something needs to be done before ohter deadly critters reach our home.
I've personally killed thousands of these things, and yes, they exploded almost overnight. I had never see one until 2006, and then the infestation occurred almost overnight.

As far as the doctors are concerned, I have run into the same thing myself. I recomend that everyone get a book on tropical diseases and study it before you go to Hawaii, and keep the knowledge in mind while living there. It may just save you from a world of hurt.

It also doesn't hurt to ask your doctor if they have specifically tested for Lepto or some other Common, yet poorly treated tropical disease.

I read somewhere that the USDA Ag inspectors were transferred to the Department of Homeland Security, which then subsequently cut their budget.
Grinchie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Judged:

HayninAk wrote:
<quoted text>
Another potential contributor to this issue is the proliferation of organic farms throughout the islands. They don't use any pesticides and only lighthly wash the vegetables in tap water.
So you think that dousing your table greens with pesticides would solve the problem?

I'd rather take the time to soak my veggies in salt water and watch the little buggers curl up and die from dehydration. I don't get a dose of cancer causing chemicals, and I get to eat greens the way God intended.

The issue here is not Organic vs Chemical based farming. The issue is that an invasice slug has now become very common, and it so happens that this is the vector for the Rat Lungworm disease.

If you have never seen these new invasive slugs, then you have no idea how fast, widespread, well travelled, prolific they really are.

If you relied on pesticides, you would kill yourselves, pets, and all the beneficial insects as well, as well as making the ground you walk on a toxic mess. Don't track it into your house...
Syble

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

Since: Nov 08

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Judged:

Angry in Puna wrote:
I go out every night and with a bowl of hydrated lime, get all the slugs I see. They are seasonal, appearing during the wet winter months. These horrible mollusks have spread so quickly: a few years ago, they were not on my property. Now, they have migrated from Papaya Farms Road and climb on every surface they come to: the car, the catchment tank, outdoor trashcans, rock walls, leaves... It's disgusting.
I think that part of the problem is the Ag Inspection at airports and harbors. They are so adamant about not taking things OUT of Hawaii, but ANYTHING can get INTO Hawaii: coquis, slugs, brown tree snakes. The state needs to keep up with their inspections.
Also, what about the doctors? We 'import' doctors from the mainland who know nothing about tropical diseases, and so they turn away people who have these diseases such as rat lungworm, and eventhose affected by the vog: malpractice, anyone? They don't even listen, but call you crazy, say there's nothing wrong with you, and send you home. THey've done it to my mother, and they've done it to a friend of mine: the 24-year old man from Puna who was Medivaced to Queens on Oahu because Hilo turned him away. He too is in a coma and dying.
I blame the medical teams who come to Hawaii without any study in tropical diseases; I blame the State for not paying attention to invasive species coming into Hawaii. Something needs to be done before ohter deadly critters reach our home.
I travel back and forth between Alaska and Hawaii frequently. It always makes me chuckle when I get caught taking a piece of fruit from here Hawaii to Ak, but can could fly down here any day with a jar full of mosquitos, several kinds of weeds that would grow very well in Kula and even a shrew or two with no scrutiny whatsoever.

Part of the problem is that the methodology is flawed. the other part is that the "inspection" tables are manned by the usual incompetent unionized state employees. I watched a woman just last week pull an orange out of her bag after it was "scanned" and ask if it was okay to take it. All 4 inspectors just looked at each other with the same doltish expressions.
Manolo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

ann wrote:
Auwe makes a good point. Most of the pests (myself included) came from somewhere else. The semislugs that cause most cases of this disease came from Southeast Asia on imported ornamental plants. They have been intercepted on dracena and orchids from Asia. The nettle caterpillar came on palms from Taiwan. It is crazy to import these plants that we already have here just so megastores can sell them for cheap. The legislature passed a law mandating more inspections on imported goods to look for invasive species and Governor Lingle vetoed it, because it would add a minute amount to the cost of goods. What is our quality of life, our environment, worth?
Ann sorry you consider yourself a imported pest. Yes lots of insects find their way to Hawaii via imported plants. Locally look at Waimanalo and its budding coqui frog population. I betcha they came with transported potted plants from the Big Island. Young Brothers barge system is the culprit and these evasive species get a free ride throughout Hawaii. I'm wondering what YB does about this problem? Wasn't this a big issue when the SF was operating in Hawaii? HHHmmmm this seems unfair that the very company behind the demise of this boat is guilty of doing the same thing. You go figga dat 1.
Beezlebufo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Agriculture got cut back and the few remaining workers got furloughed.

Besides cutting off their nose off the Ship of State is really off the edge.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

scary
Puna Butter

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

Salads how yummmy. Gotta watch out for those slugs though.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

I keep hearing about the Puna forest..about hopw a girl can go in but neevr come out. Scary in there.
iole

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

Parasitic infested slugs are scarier

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wailuku Discussions

Search the Wailuku Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr 16 Musikologist 8
Review: All Stars Garage Mar 27 Roger 1
Thank you Mar '14 Judy and Art 1
Rudeness Mar '14 Pattie 1
Lahaina Music Thread (Aug '13) Mar '14 Musikologist 5
Ululani's keeps growIng Feb '14 Betty 1
Ranchers welcome rain Feb '14 tongangodz 2
•••
•••