Maui police chief details shooting

Maui police chief details shooting

There are 28 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 18, 2008, titled Maui police chief details shooting. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Tom Phillips tells how an attempted drug raid turned deadly By Gary T. Kubota [email protected] WAILUKU Maui police officers fired shots at a car to try to stop a fleeing George Brittain Jr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#1 Apr 18, 2008
Good job MPD.

I am not surprised that drugs were involved.

Brittain did not even live at the place. He was just on drugs at the wrong place at the wrong time and did not know how to drive.
KAMAKANI_PUU_Y-N -I-OG

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Apr 18, 2008
How far would this guy have gotten?He probably go around the island run outta gas ahh come on!MPD

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#3 Apr 18, 2008
KAMAKANI_PUU_Y-N-I-OG wrote:
How far would this guy have gotten?He probably go around the island run outta gas ahh come on!MPD
"Phillips said the officers who entered the warehouse announced they were police executing a search warrant and ordered Brittain to get out of the vehicle.

Phillips said Brittain backed out, ramming the door and officers, then drove forward into the path of the officer who had injured his foot.

Phillips said most shots were fired outside the warehouse while the car was headed toward the injured officer and that four officers fired their weapons.

The injured officer barely managed to get out of the way of the fleeing vehicle, Phillips said.

"If he hadn't scrambled out of that situation, I'm sure he would have been killed," he said.

Phillips said police did not to pursue the vehicle because they were far from their vehicles and were attending to the injured officers."

Did you read the same article?

Or maybe you were there and have a different account of what happened.

Or maybe you simply do not believe the chief's report.

Or maybe, and I suspect this is the most likely, you would make your statement about every shooting involving the police and someone who makes the decision to disobey the lawful order to surrender and instead chooses to flee in a motor vehicle and do so with no regard for human life.
Mokebla

Portland, OR

#4 Apr 18, 2008
George was just helping himself getting to where his at now. Can we all learn from this and make better choice's and move on.
R u Crazy

Kailua, HI

#5 Apr 18, 2008
How far would he have gotten? Maybe run over somebody else or kill the girl that was in the car with him. Come on, when the police tell you to stop, you stop! Unless your doing something that you not supposed to be doing. Great Job MPD!
Just one guy

Kapolei, HI

#6 Apr 18, 2008
The day before George was stressing out about the Super Ferry.
Mel

Lihue, HI

#7 Apr 18, 2008
Great job to the Maui police department. In a situation like that when it is life and death, you only have a split second to react. If you hesitate, police officers can get hurt or even die. When an officer announces you to stop, all you have to do is stop...then his would still be alive today. Making good choices in life can preserve your life. Now we see the outcome of a bad choice. Thank God non of the officers were killed and the girl in the car didn't get hurt. Wake up Hawaii! Crystal Meth kills people and destroys the lives of the people around them. We must support our law enforcement because the next drug addict tweaking out can harm you. Then, I'm sure you would want the police to protect you from getting hurt or killed. Then, I'm sure you wouldn't mind it if they shot the perpetrator.
Silent few

Mililani, HI

#8 Apr 18, 2008
With an island of 100,000+ people you think it's that easy to get caught? It's so much easier to catch a plane and hide in some place like...Vegas. Get real!
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#9 Apr 18, 2008
Good riddance to another ICE headed arrogant criminal punk. Kudos and props to Maui PD on a job well done. It was a clean shoot. Georgie Porgie can now cleans his soul in the afterlife; let's hope his soul comes back and makes better choices this time.
Aloha

Honolulu, HI

#10 Apr 18, 2008
MPD takes another thug down!!! One less punk to roam the streets of Maui. Auryte!!!
2cents

Kahului, HI

#11 Apr 18, 2008
Can't blame the Superferry for this "Big City" crime. Sounds like Maui has it there already.

BTW...if a druggie doesn't even think twice about running down a cop, what makes you think he'll hesitate to run over your spouse, children, or other loved one in a crosswalk or sidewalk, just so this drug dealer can get away? hmm?

Good Shoot, sorry I mean Justified Shoot. I wish the Maui cops a speedy recovery...physically and psychologically.

As for the family of the deceased...don't blame yourselves. He chose his life despite your efforts to change him.
every10 years

Waterbury, CT

#12 Apr 18, 2008
How far would this guy have gotten?
All the way to Milton Holt's house!
Tony

AOL

#13 Apr 18, 2008
Good job MPD! I hope the officers that were injured are healing fast. As for the iced out guy, I hope the flames of hell are tormenting him forever.
Kboy

Kailua, HI

#14 Apr 18, 2008
The jerk saved us all the cost of a trial and keeping him in prison. Good riddance to bad trash.
The INC

Henderson, NV

#15 Apr 18, 2008
The INC would like to state that Kamakani Puu has returned. K. Puu once again questions the police shooting. Was this on Maui? The INC spent time on Maui with "9's and 10's". The INC remembers the lavish trips there. When The INC returns, the "9's and 10's" will come flocking once again, trying to get to the extravaganza.

The INC
"We pull 9's and 10's"
Oki

Hilo, HI

#16 Apr 18, 2008
Kboy wrote:
The jerk saved us all the cost of a trial and keeping him in prison. Good riddance to bad trash.
He would've done 5 years, max, then out on the street again doing the same thing over, maybe even worse as the hatred would have built up.
Jack Z

Bratislava, Slovakia

#17 Apr 19, 2008
My thoughts are with the MPD Officers that they heal physically and emotionally. The suspect basically chose suicide by cop. His choice. Those that live by the sword die by the sword.
SECA

Renton, WA

#18 Apr 19, 2008
Let's think about this... Whatever happened to shooting a tire instead of killing! Let's all remember that we're not all saints and we've all made mistakes in our life. This was somebody's son, brother, cousin, uncle and friend. Be a little sympathetic to those who are mourning his loss.
pupperoni

Hilo, HI

#19 Apr 19, 2008
Shoot the tires? Tell you what, I'll give you a glock and try to run you over and lets see you shoot out my tires.....then after your underneath my car, are you going to change your mind?
Marauder

Maunaloa, HI

#20 Apr 19, 2008
SECA wrote:
Let's think about this... Whatever happened to shooting a tire instead of killing! Let's all remember that we're not all saints and we've all made mistakes in our life. This was somebody's son, brother, cousin, uncle and friend. Be a little sympathetic to those who are mourning his loss.
Who made wrong choices. Cops have relatives too. When Brittain stepped on the gas, he didn't do it by accident. It sounds like he floored it. That doesn't sound like a misake to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wailuku Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maui police arrest 3 in drug bust - News (Feb '09) Jun '16 Sativa 15
some people disgust me (Nov '10) Apr '16 usuckballs 4
Moving to Hawaii (Nov '11) Apr '16 local kine 2
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... Mar '16 DILF 10
News Collision on Maui critically injures mo-ped rider (Apr '12) Feb '16 Rachel Cox 16
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Feb '16 Musikologist 12
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... Feb '16 ben 1

Wailuku Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wailuku Mortgages