Farmers, some residents are pitted ag...

Farmers, some residents are pitted against big firms - Hawaii B...

There are 7 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 16, 2009, titled Farmers, some residents are pitted against big firms - Hawaii B.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

WAILUKU, MAUI>> On a hot day, Thomas Cavey, a Happy Valley resident, used to swim in Iao Stream near his home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

loco moco

Richmond, VA

#1 Dec 16, 2009
Time to put the plantation era behind us. Nowadays the luna in their fancy houses are all rich malihini. Will we let the remnants of the plantation kapu our streams so they can water their lawns?

Sugar and pine are a dying shadow of their glory days. We need small farmers and diversified ag, and the streams need their water back.

The state prosecuted those three guys for taking pohaku from Maui streams for their imu on O'ahu, and it would be a sick joke if they let the luna steal all the water.

I mua Hui o na Wai Eha!
Label GMO Produce

Honolulu, HI

#2 Dec 16, 2009
Hawaii need to support more home grown food production. Hawaii imports too much of the food and as a result is at the mercy of Oil Prices and Big Ag imports. If shipping stops, the store shelves would be empty in a matter of days. Support the local farmers and use Ag land to grow food Hawaii can eat, not GMO corn seeds no one in Hawaii can eat.
waterman

Honolulu, HI

#3 Dec 16, 2009
How many people are supported per unit of water to the farms? Are the biota of concern still thriving in the subject streams? Will the addition of water to the streams increase our sustainability in agriculture? Don't forget the community which supplies the agricultural activities. Is lo'i culture the most efficient production of kalo? Such culture is also feasible in the stream water on the way to the land based farms. The State has lots of land which could be assigned and traded for that purpose. It is time to view the future not the past if our youth are to stay in Hawaii. Assume the water is diverted, will there be more employment in the community or only a few able to have work? Think of the greater community and not just a select few. Those who remember the Victory gardens in Hawaii know we can grow all our fresh produce on small parcels which do not depend on streams.
Kuokoa

Aiea, HI

#4 Dec 16, 2009
What people fail to realize is that the sugar plantations developed and built the current water system in the State. I dont think the plantations were ever compensated for the infrastructure. Why not give them the water they need to stay in business?
Fuzzy Ball

Honolulu, HI

#5 Dec 16, 2009
End the grab of public resources and restore the public trust. Small farms are jobs too!...and sustainable.
waiwai

Hilo, HI

#6 Dec 16, 2009
Kuokoa, those irrigation systems have been paid for a hundred times over. The water companies charged every user on their system all along the way. They have made private profit off a public trust resource for 150 years; something which is illegal under the state constitution and body of law.

Growing taro is NOT "going back" to the past. It is a practice of the past worthy of bringing forward and capable of feeding us all.

To waterman, growing wetland kalo is highly efficient. It requires lots of flowing water but actually takes up little water. The lo'i system sends most of the water back to the streams they belong which means our fisheries, another "ancient" food resource I've noticed every one still enjoys, especially the tourists who eat in our restaurants and hotels. Sugar on the other hand is the most water hungry crop in the world and takes up three times more water than the next water hungry crop, corn, we grow in the state.

Putting water back in the streams replenishes critical aquifers, fisheries and our soil. More water in our streams and aquifers pushes groundwater closer to the surface and replenishes the dozens of springs that have dried up due to the removal of water from all our streams. It also replenishes our drinking water which we can't live without. Iao aquifer is now going brackish because of overuse. Without freshwater replenishment, this water used on agricultural lands will eventually result in salted soils that can no longer grow food (this effect is well documented in overtaxed water systems as far back as the grain fields of the Sinai in the story of Gilgamesh, for those who remember World Civ 101). The only water coming off the plantations is contaminated by fertilizers and pesticides. Run-off from HC&S/A&B fields has contaminated numerous wells in Maui that can no longer be used to support humans...and that eventually percolates into our groundwater.

so yes, look at the big picture but understand the picture you are looking at. What you are suggesting is the big picture is very man-centered and does not provide support back to the very resources you expect to support you! So if you squeeze the life out of this island for a short-sited 800 jobs, then were will you go? The moon?
Corrupt Trustees

United States

#7 Dec 16, 2009
OHA Trustees claim ownership of your drinking water

http://bit.ly/2dgISU

Lingle: Will agriculture survive Maui water diversion?

http://bit.ly/4FKnBS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wailuku Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul 5 Musikologist 14
whites dont know what white slavery is yet soem... May '17 GetReal 2
Lahaina Music Thread (Aug '13) May '17 Musikologist 11
Joe Groomes Mar '17 Nancy Groomes 1
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukme 1

Wailuku Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance