Walgreens seeks to open store in Nanakuli - Business

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Walgreens is going West - to Nanakuli that is. The Deerfield, Ill.-based drugstore chain, which entered the market late last year to compete with Longs Drugs , is negotiating what would be its eighth location ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Jun 15, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Blah Blah the Moke

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

"Nanakuli resident Hanalei Aipoalani, who is the secretary-treasurer for the Nanakuli-Maili Neighborhood Board, said having a nationally branded company like Walgreens in the neighborhood would not only create much-needed jobs, but stimulate the economy, help to ease traffic congestion and increase the time area residents spend with their families."

SAY WHAT? COME AGAIN?

The only jobs it will create are minimum wage, benefitless, with the bulk of them being only part time to avoid having to fork over for medical. And someone please tell me how this will allow people to spend more time with their families? Has someone identified the break down of the family unit being caused by people spending too much time traveling to stores?

Catch Hanalei on a day when she isn't bogarting the pipe. She will read what she said and crack up laughing.

Walgreen on the mainland is a joke and I can't imagine it being any different in Hawaii.

On a positive note, this will be a bonanza for the security guard companies. Build it in Nanakuli and you'll need one at the register, one or two outside, and one in each aisle to maintain order and control shoplifting.

As the economy disintegrates, this will be the first project pulled from Walgreen's master plan for Hawaii.
OKI DOKI

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

I hope they know what thier getting themselves into. The Westside is the worst place to run a business.
not enuff

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

hmm.. on Hawaiian Homelands ??
why not build homes for those who been on the waiting lists for YEARS and YEARS !!!!!

Walgreens will not make it out there !!!
kls

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

this is great! the homeless druggies will have direct access to the pharmacy.
are they crazy?
Lolo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

I hope they accept EBT cards.
Haole man

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Better stock up on syringes
Kama

Pahoa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

Nothing wrong with making minimum wage, it's a job. If you have the potential then you'll be able to get higher pay as time goes on. The experience gained in the workplace can also be used as a way to get paid more. More opportunity is always a good thing.
Okole Maluna

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

Right on, we need a Walgreen's in this area!!!!!!!!
Kalihi Resident

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

frank wrote:
Walgreens in Nanakuli? They should rename it to "Freegreens". Because nobody is going to actually pay for anything. They will just steal it.
These mainland people did NOT do their homework when they chose Nanakuli as a Walgreen's location. I hope they have tons of security for that store because they are sure going to need it. Walgreen's is NOT Cheap--I work near the Keeaumoku Street location and their prices are HIGH --much more expensive than Walmart across the street. So you think all these people in Nanakuli are going to shop there when they have so little $$$$? Makes NO sense at all......
Love Waianae

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

Walgreen's is nothing special, it's like a Long's and maybe a K-mart of Chinese-made junk. The reason they want to build here must be to get the real estate at a better rate. Just another attempt to urbanize the country. Wonder which polititian got the payoof, er, I mean donation. Not to mention the contracts for roads, unions, etc.
moder

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

Wow, another *great* set of low paying jobs for the menial labor market. Wowwwww. Whoopie (finger twirling in the air).

But the way I hear Longs treats their vendors, I don't see them lasting in Hawaii beyond 10 years.
moder

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

I made $7 an hour in high school 25 years ago. Is the Waianae Coast way to be content and have no ambition? I hope not. Waianae Coast residents should push to get better paying jobs.
Gayle Nakama

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

Judged:

Any new opening of Walgreen's is a delight and wonderful boost to the communities it serves. I love shopping at the Keeaumoku Walgreen's, too bad that they only allow 30 minutes inside!
Pili

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

If Blah Blah the Moke had researched any of what he was ranting about he would have learned that Walgreens provides one of the best benefit pakages of any company. Granted starting pay is not the best, but $8.00 an hour is still more than $0 dollars and hour. As far as the security issue, the west side may be a little more thuggish than you can handle, but I have family and friends from Waianae, and they are not druggies. So don't judge an entire community on what you read in the advertiser, everyone deserves opportunity, and hope.
alice

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

Natives orefer not to work hon. With free handouts, why should they? Trouble is, America is in decline and is flat broke. The race-based handouts are about done.
West Side Worker

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

You're so right and I had a good laugh. Thanks for your great post.

If you don't believe Frank, read yesterday's Sunday paper and you will find out the Nanakuli Fastop has a wall of shame that consists of photos of punks who stole beer and other items from the store. Poverty levels are higher in West Oahu so I hope the new Walgreens hires more security to combat shoplifting. Actually, you have to worry about the employees more than the "customers" since stats show the employees are bigger crooks than customers.

Looks like Walgreens will need a large, 6 foot wide by 10 feet tall wall of shame consisting of photos of all punks who steal from them.
frank wrote:
Walgreens in Nanakuli? They should rename it to "Freegreens". Because nobody is going to actually pay for anything. They will just steal it.
Love Waianae

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Pili wrote:
As far as the security issue, the west side may be a little more thuggish than you can handle, but I have family and friends from Waianae, and they are not druggies. So don't judge an entire community on what you read in the advertiser, everyone deserves opportunity, and hope.
LOL, I lived in Ewa beach for over thirty years and Waianae for ten years. Ewa Beach was like Beirut, I was burglarized and vandalized at least ten times. You could buy ice in front of the schools. In Waianae, I leave my keys in the car and the house open. But don't move here, just stay in town. The other night our McDonalds had a bunch of windows smashed. Guess what. Ewa Beach chronic!
True Wisdom

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

Blah Blah the Moke wrote:
"Nanakuli resident Hanalei Aipoalani, who is the secretary-treasurer for the Nanakuli-Maili Neighborhood Board, said having a nationally branded company like Walgreens in the neighborhood would not only create much-needed jobs, but stimulate the economy, help to ease traffic congestion and increase the time area residents spend with their families."
SAY WHAT? COME AGAIN?
The only jobs it will create are minimum wage, benefitless, with the bulk of them being only part time to avoid having to fork over for medical. And someone please tell me how this will allow people to spend more time with their families? Has someone identified the break down of the family unit being caused by people spending too much time traveling to stores?
Catch Hanalei on a day when she isn't bogarting the pipe. She will read what she said and crack up laughing.
Walgreen on the mainland is a joke and I can't imagine it being any different in Hawaii.
On a positive note, this will be a bonanza for the security guard companies. Build it in Nanakuli and you'll need one at the register, one or two outside, and one in each aisle to maintain order and control shoplifting.
As the economy disintegrates, this will be the first project pulled from Walgreen's master plan for Hawaii.
Thank you for telling it like it is, every time they build a new business they say it helps the economy but instead it's only minimum wage for teenagers living with their parents.
Instead of another retail store with more traffic, they would do better with a call center.
I'm serious, at least they could make $12 to $16 an hour with wages and bonuses instead of $7 or $8 on minimum wage, if they can speak decent English and talk on a phone they have a job, plus you can have hundreds of people all working in one building instead of a retail store that only has 10 or 20.
Any call center owners out there?, check it out.
Love Waianae

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

Some immigrants will work there. The rest will be women working just long enough to ensure their welfare continues. That's how the game is played. Sorry to say, but the park across the street will still be full of "cruisers" drinking beer all day, smoking dope, and complaining that there are no jobs. Just last night a woman told me she'll have a new place to shoplift.
Blah Blah the Moke

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

Pili wrote:
If Blah Blah the Moke had researched any of what he was ranting about he would have learned that Walgreens provides one of the best benefit pakages of any company. Granted starting pay is not the best, but $8.00 an hour is still more than $0 dollars and hour. As far as the security issue, the west side may be a little more thuggish than you can handle, but I have family and friends from Waianae, and they are not druggies. So don't judge an entire community on what you read in the advertiser, everyone deserves opportunity, and hope.
I'm talking from experience Pili not from reading a newspaper. I lived in Nakatani housing behind the post office (now McDonalds) and know exactly what goes on in Nanakuli. That was years ago and it was bad then and I know for a fact it's much worse now. Of course not everyone is a druggie. Go back and read my post, I never mentioned anything about druggies.

My "rant" as you called it, was about living wages and the ridiculous statement made by the lady. I agree that a job is better than no job but people need real jobs that pay a living wage that will allow them to provide a decent life for themselves and their families and you sure as hell aren't going to ever get that working part time at Walgreens.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Waianae Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Waianae People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••