Letters

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Aloha took employees of Eastern under its wing As I read of Aloha Airlines' failure, it is so sad to see this pearl of the Pacific lose its luster.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 25, 2011
Pat

United States

#1 Apr 6, 2008
Thank you, Noel, for putting into proper perspective the demise of America's economy and its affect on America's people due to America's wars of aggression against other nations. It doesn't matter which party is in control of the Executive & Legislative Branch of our Government, the focus is wrong. Note the millionairs in Congress; John McCain was recently reported to be one of the wealthiest and the just released Clinton shocking wealth figures should raise alarm about Hillary's candidacy. I don't have info concerning Obama, but when I see the other financial figures, I have to question whether the candidates really have any concern for the American people, any real understanding what it is like to lose everything??? I really don't think so, I believe that they are opportunists for themselves.
Bmillier

Pearl City, HI

#2 Apr 6, 2008
The 1st thing Hawaii has to do is get rid of the #@%#@ Unions they rip off their own members
love waianae

Aiea, HI

#3 Apr 6, 2008
Bmillier wrote:
The 1st thing Hawaii has to do is get rid of the #@%#@ Unions they rip off their own members
Yeah, we all know those trust-fund execs willingly take care of the people that actually do the hands-on work.
Herb Stark

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Apr 6, 2008
BELATED BIRTHDAY GREETINGS TO TWO LEGENDS

To the Editor:

Recently, big band crooner Harry Prime (a former Levittown, NY resident) who sang with the Tommy Dorsey, Jack Fina, Randy Brooks and Ralph Flanagan orchestras in the late 1940s, 1950s celebrated his 88th birthday on March 5th by releasing a compilation CD of his favorite pop standards ("Harry Is 88") and he's still active, performing (singing and dancing) at the Roasted Pepper bistro in Chalfont, PA on Thursday evenings. Clearly, Harry is in his Prime! For more info on the smooth singer just Google Harry Prime and click the first heading. Philadelphia resident songbird Peggy King (dubbed 'Pretty Perky Peggy King' by comedian George Gobel in the mid 1950s) who sang with the Charlie Spivack and Ralph Flanagan bands just celebrated her 78th birthday February 16th and is also working on a soon to be released CD ( www.peggyking.org and click on Guest Book). A belated Happy Birthday to both of these talented artists who (on their super endurance run alone) should be considered 'National Treasures!'

Herb Stark
239 Division Ave.
Massapequa, NY 11758

PS: For the record, band leader Ralph Flanagan lived in Malverne, NY for a number of years before relocating to the Florida Keys until his death in December,1995.

Since: Apr 08

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Apr 6, 2008
To the Editor:

Recently, big band crooner Harry Prime (a former Levittown, NY resident) who sang with the Tommy Dorsey, Jack Fina, Randy Brooks and Ralph Flanagan orchestras in the late 1940s, 1950s celebrated his 88th birthday on March 5th by releasing a compilation CD of his favorite pop standards ("Harry Is 88") and he's still active, performing (singing and dancing) at the Roasted Pepper bistro in Chalfont, PA on Thursday evenings. Clearly, Harry is in his Prime! For more info on the smooth singer just Google Harry Prime and click the first heading. Philadelphia resident songbird Peggy King (dubbed 'Pretty Perky Peggy King' by comedian George Gobel in the mid 1950s) who sang with the Charlie Spivack and Ralph Flanagan bands just celebrated her 78th birthday February 16th and is also working on a soon to be released CD ( www.peggyking.org and click on Guest Book). A belated Happy Birthday to both of these talented artists who (on their super endurance run alone) should be considered 'National Treasures!'

Herb Stark
239 Division Ave.
Massapequa, NY 11758

PS: For the record, band leader Ralph Flanagan lived in Malverne, NY for a number of years before relocating to the Florida Keys until his death in December,1995.

Since: Sep 07

Makakilo

#6 Apr 6, 2008
In regards to the letter by Gordon G.W. Lum about the funding for hot lanes and other roadway projects: Sir you are misleading. The funding wasn't there for rail either, until the law was changed allowing Honolulu to collect the added tax for it! And the only reason the state has no authority to collect tolls is because no legislators have written a law to allow that! The law can be changed at any time, if the legislators or City Council choose too. Heck they can even change the law so tax collected for transit can be used for building hot lanes or new viaducts. So don't say we can't do it because there is no funding or authority. There was no funding or authority for rail when Mufi started this fiasco!
KJohnson

United States

#7 Apr 6, 2008
Say NO to toll stations! It will only make traffic worse. The military is going to have to cooperate and make allowances to civilian traffic to pass through land leased to them by the State. Kolekole pass should be an open roadway for everyone. Open up Kaena Point. Bridge Barber's Point to Hickam like the one from Ke'ehi to Sand Island. After Pearl Harbor was bombed, my great aunts waterfront property became a roadway for the military to get around the island of O'ahu. She didn't make a fuss about it then. We are in a crisis now with traffic. The military shouldn't make a fuss about it now. If the government wants to "help" what they can do is make it a luxury to have Hummers (and rediculously large trucks)on O'ahu. What is the purpose of a Hummer on O'ahu? Who goes off road, and where that these vehicles are necessary?
Bobby

Goffstown, NH

#9 Mar 24, 2011
Herb Stark wrote:
To the Editor:
Herb Stark
239 Division Ave.
Massapequa, NY 11758
Your comment on Barry's position in North Africa is inane: He violated our Constitution and the legitimate Bush War Powers Act. Check out the other comments on USA today! One & done.
Pahoite

Keaau, HI

#10 Mar 25, 2011
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waianae Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Wedge SURF 2 hr The WEDGE 2
Obama's presidency in action! -lol! 2 hr The WEDGE 2
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 2 hr Obama gave money ... 61,953
Check out my new av (Jul '13) 4 hr We Have No Strategy 21
Oahu meeting to discuss homeless bills open to ... 5 hr Guru 9
Let's make fun of Hawaii (Aug '13) 5 hr Guru 45
Volcanic Ash: Abercrombie's main threat to re-e... (Aug '13) 6 hr Guru 24
•••
•••

Waianae Jobs