Letters to the editor - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

As you approach the S-turns on Kaukonahua Road also known as the "Road of Death," "the Winding Road" or "Pine Tree Road," you are in a 45-mph speed-limit zone.
Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated Nov 4, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fisherman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Joe The Vice President wrote:
Attention: The government is in the business of maintaining the roads.
You aren't suggesting that the government is doing a lousy job running this business are you?
Better get your mind right or it's the enemies list for you buster.
P.S. Say Hi to Brit Hume, if you see him.
Lovey, Hopey, Changey......xoxo Big Joe.
You're right, they should contract it out to Glenn and Cuz's black top service. They can stand there and stare at the hole with the best of um- company moto: rim dent? no my asfault.
Facts

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Re:Tim Haverly; The road is not the problem, it is the people who propel themselves in excessive speed(for thrills) that create the sad consequences.
Pau

Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Fisherman wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, they should contract it out to Glenn and Cuz's black top service. They can stand there and stare at the hole with the best of um- company moto: rim dent? no my asfault.
Good one. The Guru quote earlier still stands out very nicely though.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one. The Guru quote earlier still stands out very nicely though.
lol. Australia? I like that.
Pau

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol. Australia? I like that.
Fisherman had mentioned "proxy servers" in a earlier post so I gave it a whirl.

To my amazement, I didn't have to reference the WSJ in order to accomplish the task...
Texas Transplant

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

alice wrote:
Haugen is wrong about requiring Hawaiin Language be taught. But I do think a foreign language requirement should be included in the BA requirements. Undertanding languages is important
Where do you think you are Mexico? Why shouldn't you learn Hawaiian if you are Hawaiian? Who are you to deny these people the right to learn their own language? No wonder they dislike us look how stupid your comments are.
Kaimana

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

Good letter Mr. Retherford. I am baffled that the City is considering allowing B&B hotels in residential neighborhoods. Its very clear the neighbors and the community do not want them. This is clearly a bill that will benefit a special interest group at the expense of residents. We need more homes, not mini-hotel rooms in our residential communities.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Pau wrote:
<quoted text>
Fisherman had mentioned "proxy servers" in a earlier post so I gave it a whirl.
To my amazement, I didn't have to reference the WSJ in order to accomplish the task...
lol! Good for you.

And sorry again about my earlier post.
Pau

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Good for you.
And sorry again about my earlier post.
Never was an issue but thanks Yeah.

Brought up some memories though.

I had a math teacher locally that went on some tangent during class on the similarity with how words deceived upon reading at first glance. My first thought was that this teach is a loon. That should have raised red flags though... He was later busted with having minors at his house serving them booze.
koolaidkeith

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

Required language ?If you want to learn a 2d language feel free , required is something all together different . Learn ur native tung , whatever . We are not Nazis here .
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Tim Haverly:

Think "stupid gene" short of an act of God which got them here to begin with.
It's called a "brake."
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Robert Retherford:

....and you might also get the sex education that your parents failed to give you.

People HUMP and make money Robert.
Kaiula Boy

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Judged:

Mr. Retherford,

You are fightening people. Maye these B&B would cater to lesbians and gays. They may even allow ethinic minorities or possibly, God forbid, foreigners. They occpy these B&B's and ruin your poor little life. A B&B is the owners choice...not your will.

Poor man! You are on a race to the bottom.
Alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

pops wrote:
Learning Hawaiian language is a waste of money and time. In a few years there will not be any Real Hawaiians left.<quoted text>
At least not any real Hawaiians that repect the Aina, and the people who live there.
Alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Texas Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you think you are Mexico? Why shouldn't you learn Hawaiian if you are Hawaiian? Who are you to deny these people the right to learn their own language? No wonder they dislike us look how stupid your comments are.
Hawaiian is an unecessary language. Speaking Hawaiian doesn't make you Hawaiian. Learning Hawaiian is a choice. It shouldn't be required. It would be a waste of everyone's time and money.
bad dog

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

when i first came to hawaii as a mainland expat, i was supposed to take the only language offered in jr. high school. there wasn't a teacher for french in our school so someone had the amazing idea to hire an hawaiian to teach us hawaiian until we could locate a french teacher. what an experience. the local kids loved it. they excelled and i was in awe of all i was learning. what a great way to be introduced to hawaii. nothing was written. all spoken. and lots of laughter. and some of it at my expense teaching me to swallow my ego and just go ahead and "geev em". a really GREAT way to learn about a people is to learn the language. thanks Mr. Keko'olani from Aiea. it was a very short stint but an amazingly functional and invaluable lesson. THINK ABOUT IT DOE.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waialua Discussions

Search the Waialua Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Armed robber hits Wendy's restaurant in Kunia 22 min Joe Balls 18
Rude people Jul 1 Funtime 1
Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Jun '14 Yoda 69
Mililani board OKs affordable-housing plan (Mar '11) May '14 Rico 2
HPD looking for criminals caught on tape in thr... May '14 American_Infidel 4
I want a good connect Apr '14 Heroin for pain relief 1
M.E. Identifies Two Men Found on Separate Beaches Apr '14 a friend 14
•••
•••