Letters to the editor - Hawaii Editorials

As you approach the S-turns on Kaukonahua Road also known as the "Road of Death," "the Winding Road" or "Pine Tree Road," you are in a 45-mph speed-limit zone. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
willie

Farmington, MI

#1 Nov 3, 2009
"Under this bill, I could end up with four B&Bs, 12 rental cars and 24 strangers, all as close as 5 feet to my property line."

You could always MOVE.

Another NIMBY.
satch7

Honolulu, HI

#2 Nov 3, 2009
In response concerning the letter on 'Dangerous Roads Need Fixing," let me put it bluntly and in simple language that ROADS DON'T KILL....PEOPLE KILL! or to put it more simply for the simple-minded, its not the road that creates hazardous conditions but its people that drive hazardously that create a dangerous condition. Don't waste tax dollars in trying to fix common sense driving.
mommabecca

United States

#3 Nov 3, 2009
I am wondering about the B&B issue. How many of the people that are so opposed are Native Hawaiians, having lived on the Islands for their whole life and it is their land or are many of them transplants from the mainland or Japan or some other country and have not been born there? If they are Native Hawaiians I do understand but if they are transplants, having retired there or just moved there then I have no sympathy.
Pau

Prescott, AZ

#4 Nov 3, 2009
Ref: Dangerous Roads

Informing readers and your suggestions could be helpful. The point that shold be driven here is the basic speed law.
Keith Haugen

AOL

#5 Nov 3, 2009
Aloha Pila:

I agree totally. When I was at the UH-M, I suggested that all students attending our major university should be required to take two years of Hawaiian language. I still feel that way.

Having both traveled and lived abroad, I am constantly reminded that most Americans lag behind when it comes to languages. The old joke that says that a person who speaks three or more languages is called a polyglot; those who speak two are called bi-lingual; and those who speak only one are called Americans, is not really very funny. It is all too true.

It would be beautiful if Hawai`i could lead the nation (and the world) in fluency in more than one language, just as Hawaiians led the world in literacy in the late 1800s.

E ola mau ka `olelo mua o keia pae`aina.

Me ka pono,

Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
Old Timer

Kaneohe, HI

#6 Nov 3, 2009
satch7 wrote:
In response concerning the letter on 'Dangerous Roads Need Fixing," let me put it bluntly and in simple language that ROADS DON'T KILL....PEOPLE KILL! or to put it more simply for the simple-minded, its not the road that creates hazardous conditions but its people that drive hazardously that create a dangerous condition. Don't waste tax dollars in trying to fix common sense driving.
Actually to put it in simple language SLOW DOWN AND LIVE.
pops

Honolulu, HI

#7 Nov 3, 2009
Learning Hawaiian language is a waste of money and time. In a few years there will not be any Real Hawaiians left.
Keith Haugen wrote:
Aloha Pila:
I agree totally. When I was at the UH-M, I suggested that all students attending our major university should be required to take two years of Hawaiian language. I still feel that way.
Having both traveled and lived abroad, I am constantly reminded that most Americans lag behind when it comes to languages. The old joke that says that a person who speaks three or more languages is called a polyglot; those who speak two are called bi-lingual; and those who speak only one are called Americans, is not really very funny. It is all too true.
It would be beautiful if Hawai`i could lead the nation (and the world) in fluency in more than one language, just as Hawaiians led the world in literacy in the late 1800s.
E ola mau ka `olelo mua o keia pae`aina.
Me ka pono,
Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
alice

Hanalei, HI

#8 Nov 3, 2009
Haugen is wrong about requiring Hawaiin Language be taught. But I do think a foreign language requirement should be included in the BA requirements. Undertanding languages is important
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#9 Nov 3, 2009
Shirley Cannell:

You may have just ended Frank's run in serving the schools. Administrators don't like to be told they're wrong, especially when it's done as a joke. And a funny one at that.
koolaidkeith

Lahaina, HI

#10 Nov 3, 2009
Required ?
Pila Wilson

Honolulu, HI

#11 Nov 3, 2009
Dr. Wilson's advocacy in Olelo No'e au is a history, dedication and hard work that cannot command anything else other than respect.

So, when he talks or writes, as here, it pays off to pay attention.

I am impressed that Latin was instructed and taught to these students.

You know Latin, you know the law.

You know languages, you know the World.

Mahalo Pila, keep up the good work.
Marboro

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Nov 3, 2009
UH did require a foreign language those days - any language.
Pat

Hanalei, HI

#13 Nov 3, 2009
I recommend an excellent movie playing at Kahala Mall. Viewers will find "AMeerka" insightful, truthful, and educational. Go see!
Hawaii Kai Mom

Honolulu, HI

#14 Nov 3, 2009
I agree with Robert Retherford. B&B hotels don't belong in residential neighborhoods. Most communities have their hotels located near businesses, not family-oriented homes. I don’t think it’s a very safe for families with young children to live next to hotel-like businesses.
lawakua

Honolulu, HI

#15 Nov 3, 2009
B&Bs are in waianae also. This weekend we had a hula halau who went from early morning to late evening. The show was good(my son dances hula also). This was the first time since moving here that we had locals. Most times we have people who got busted throwing their trash (slop) over the fence into my yard. When I spoke to the owner he asked me to prove that it was his tenants. there is only one house in my back yard, HIS! AUWE to B&B owners who dont care for their neighbors. I have lived here for 12 years,The owner is not very polite,and is not from here.....

Since: Aug 08

Kaneohe, HI

#16 Nov 3, 2009
1. Can't put up a "Slow Down & Live" sign...the Outdoor Circle wouldn't stand for it.

2. Frank DeLima will never aggree to run for Governor...
He knows he would be elected.

Since I travel to Mexico, I studied Spanish.
Since I travel to Japan, I studied Japanese.
When Chinese visitors arrive in Hawaii, you will find they speak better English than we do.
(China has more English speakers than the US)
Kailuaresident

Aiea, HI

#17 Nov 3, 2009
willie wrote:
"Under this bill, I could end up with four B&Bs, 12 rental cars and 24 strangers, all as close as 5 feet to my property line."
You could always MOVE.
Another NIMBY.
Yes, and if a meth lab opens up next door you could always move as well. But is that fair?
tweet

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#18 Nov 3, 2009
'Dangerous Roads Need Fixing'

people who need a sign that reads "25 mph" on the 's' curves are the same ones who will promptly disregard it.

do you REALLY need signs to tell you that you should be driving with caution? if you can't figure that out, perhaps you should relinquish your driver's license for the sake of other motorists.
Mary jo Kopechne

San Diego, CA

#19 Nov 3, 2009
Ted and I always felt the roads were safe and would never endanger anyone.
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

#20 Nov 3, 2009
Attention: The government is in the business of maintaining the roads.

You aren't suggesting that the government is doing a lousy job running this business are you?

Better get your mind right or it's the enemies list for you buster.

P.S. Say Hi to Brit Hume, if you see him.

Lovey, Hopey, Changey......xoxo Big Joe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waialua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kittens for free Sep 4 kazandraferree 2
Searching for Biological father (Feb '06) Aug '14 Swagtastic 5
Rash of business robberies have police concerned Jul '14 Joe Balls 1
Armed robber hits Wendy's restaurant in Kunia Jul '14 Joe Balls 34
Rude people Jul '14 Funtime 1
Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Jun '14 Yoda 69
Mililani board OKs affordable-housing plan (Mar '11) May '14 Rico 2
•••
•••

Waialua Jobs