Curbing Oahu recycling program isn't ...

Curbing Oahu recycling program isn't an option - Editorials

There are 11 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 25, 2009, titled Curbing Oahu recycling program isn't an option - Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The global economic decline has left few businesses untouched. Even companies that cash in on Oahu's trash feel the pinch as prices for recyclable materials tipped down in tandem with demand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

onlyparadise

Hilo, HI

#1 Mar 25, 2009
we don't need recycling every week as proposed

Since: Feb 08

Bunkie, LA

#2 Mar 25, 2009
Unbelievable that there is no charge for trash pick-up! No wonder the state is running out of money! Besides the also unbelievable politics of the state of Hawaii. I would like to know of any other state in the union that does not charge for this service? More unbelievable is also the fact that there is trash pickup twice a week! The Union power there must be enormous!
Mike

Honolulu, HI

#3 Mar 25, 2009
Burn it all in Hpower to make electricity, the recycling thing is a big waste of money.
manini

Kapaau, HI

#4 Mar 25, 2009
ExWaianae wrote:
Unbelievable that there is no charge for trash pick-up! No wonder the state is running out of money! Besides the also unbelievable politics of the state of Hawaii. I would like to know of any other state in the union that does not charge for this service? More unbelievable is also the fact that there is trash pickup twice a week! The Union power there must be enormous!
Actually the city and county provides the service, not the state. Moreover, those areas that are part of the curbside recycling program only receive once a week pickup. On top of that, our property taxes are geared to cover this cost.
Miss my island

Lake Oswego, OR

#5 Mar 25, 2009
After moving from Oahu to Oregon it was an adjustment to adapt to the trash and recycling program. First of all, in our town, it is privatized. Pickups are once a week. Your payment is based on how big of a trash can (provided by company) you use. The recycling container is one size and pretty big. By pricing the amount of trash disposal you want, there is a strong incentive to recycle everything you can. For recycling other items, there is a free drop off center in town. I am sure it is not a perfect system, but we have adjusted very well to it. Probably too hard for Hawaii to go that route with the public unions and the supreme court's view that it can't be privatized. Just a different perspective and observation how pricing trash service can encourage recycling.

Since: Feb 08

Bunkie, LA

#6 Mar 25, 2009
manini wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the city and county provides the service, not the state. Moreover, those areas that are part of the curbside recycling program only receive once a week pickup. On top of that, our property taxes are geared to cover this cost.
OK, I'll go with that! And, the city and County is flush with money? I understand that the recycling program only picks up once a week, I was talking about the regular trash pickups being done twice weekly! Do you really feel that pickups twice weekly being necessary? How about once a week and lowering the property tax. I bet that would make a lot of people very happy!
kailuaresident

Kaneohe, HI

#7 Mar 25, 2009
The bottle bill should be repealed now that curbside recyling is here. This would out more mney into everyones pockets (at the cash register) and put more money into the City as they would be collecting and recyling more as well. Win win for everyone but the State who skims money off the deposits...
goin on

Honolulu, HI

#8 Mar 25, 2009
kailuaresident wrote:
The bottle bill should be repealed now that curbside recyling is here. This would out more mney into everyones pockets (at the cash register) and put more money into the City as they would be collecting and recyling more as well. Win win for everyone but the State who skims money off the deposits...
I agree! Repeal the unfair law.
Jerry Okamura

Hilo, HI

#9 Mar 25, 2009
Or the city could pay for this program by cutting back on spending elsewhere?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#10 Mar 25, 2009
kailuaresident wrote:
That's what I've been saying since recycling was started. It's just a tax for the state.

Want a more familar setup? Think of the rebates you send away for... or for many don't send away for.
A Parent

Honolulu, HI

#11 Mar 25, 2009
kailuaresident wrote:
I agree. HI-5 is a tax and it does not even cover all recyclables. Now we have curbside pickup which is MUCH more convenient, and covers more types of recyclables (to include HI-5 containers). Which system is more comprehensive and convenient to the average homeowner? Why do we have two systems running at the same time?

In these difficult fiscal situation, are we now actively trying to be more inefficient and wasteful?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waialua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hawaii musician charged in ice bust (Mar '08) Jan '17 Snore 4 170
News Kunia man arrested for attempted assault of 16-... Jan '17 Joe Balls 2
News Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Dec '16 Rachrl 75
News Police / Fire - News (Dec '08) Oct '16 bill brown 5
News Colleagues, students honor beloved teacher - Ha... (Aug '09) Oct '16 Kevyn 12
News Senate panel OKs a shorter extension for rail tax (Mar '15) Aug '16 HbH 9
News Farmers Markets (Apr '16) Aug '16 -Sprocket- 5

Waialua Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waialua Mortgages