5 guilty in Waialua cockfighting case - News

A federal grand jury found a former Honolulu Police Department officer, his wife and three others guilty yesterday for their roles in a case involving cockfighting, gambling, obstruction and extortion. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Big J-Hawaii Kai

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2008
These three disgraced officers of HPD should be required to reimburse HPD and the taxpayers of this State their pay for the periods they were involved with this criminal activity. Also Kevin Brunn should have his retired pay recomputed and the years 2003-2005 should not be used for retirement pay purposes.
Only The Truth

United States

#2 Dec 20, 2008
Brunn is not receiving any retirement pay. Feds did not prove their case. Case will me over ruled by the 9th circuit court of appeals. The star witness was a drug dealer who admitted he lied to get a lesser sentence.

The case was a comedy of errors with a tragic ending.
Hellish

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Dec 20, 2008
A son and brother selling out his
family to avoid a "life stretch." What this
world is about, sometimes is "hell on earth."
Much of it traced to realizing one day, it all
came down to drug use and the increasing bad
decisions that come with it.I don't envy any
man who has to live every waking minute with the
thought they sold their own family out.
guilty as charged

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 20, 2008
Only The Truth wrote:
Brunn is not receiving any retirement pay. Feds did not prove their case. Case will me over ruled by the 9th circuit court of appeals. The star witness was a drug dealer who admitted he lied to get a lesser sentence.
They might get off on a technicality but everyone in the community knows what was going on. The old man is an okay guy but he allowed his kids to do this business on the family property and he benefitted from it so I guess he has to pay the piper. And it's true Charlie testified to save his skin, but his testimony was true nonetheless. And the Gilman family is lucky they only face these charges. There could've been much more.
Waialua Watcher

Oakland, CA

#5 Dec 20, 2008
I lived in Waialua for seven years and routinely saw large groups of people gathering out in the cane fields for cock fighting events. You would be driving along when all of a sudden you would see 50 or so cars alongside the road and hundreds of people gathered out in the middle of an old cane field. There was never any attempt to hide it. This could not have gone on without the cooperation of the Honolulu Police Dept. It finally took the Feds before anything ever happened to curtail it. From what I saw, I think that most of HPD on the North Shore are likely supplementing their income through illegal gambling payoffs.
GO BOWS

Ewa Beach, HI

#6 Dec 20, 2008
The Chief says this closes a dark chapter in HPD history. Who is he kidding...
Bows

Ewa Beach, HI

#7 Dec 20, 2008
Only The Truth wrote:
here is one cop trying to justify another bad cop HPD is laced with corruption
get real

Makawao, HI

#8 Dec 20, 2008
The cops involved and convicted in this case have tarnished the badge and damaged the integrity of the HPD. Their selfish motivations has further eroded the trust and faith of the public in the police department and betrayed all of the honest and hard working men and women in blue.

Confused

Kula, HI

#9 Dec 20, 2008
We'll hear the standard excuses: a few bad apples, they were good cops who got caught up in something, it was blown out of proportion, they were ramrodded through the system, etc.

Funny how cops want special exceptions for themselves but not for the people they arrest. Cops should have to do double the amount of time when they get convicted.
alice

Maunaloa, HI

#10 Dec 20, 2008
Confused is spot-on
hotel street john

Kamuela, HI

#11 Dec 20, 2008
Hellish wrote:
A son and brother selling out his
family to avoid a "life stretch." What this
world is about, sometimes is "hell on earth."
Much of it traced to realizing one day, it all
came down to drug use and the increasing bad
decisions that come with it.I don't envy any
man who has to live every waking minute with the
thought they sold their own family out.
Good point! We will all leave Hell when we decease physically, with the hope that we will all go on to Heaven. Judas Iscariot and all other rats will go to a greater Hell - no chance of Heaven for Rats, especially those who would sell out their family. Jesus made it clear, "There's no greater love then laying down your life for your brother." Sad ending for this dude.
leeward lolo

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 20, 2008
Waialua Watcher wrote:
I lived in Waialua for seven years and routinely saw large groups of people gathering out in the cane fields for **** fighting events. You would be driving along when all of a sudden you would see 50 or so cars alongside the road and hundreds of people gathered out in the middle of an old cane field. There was never any attempt to hide it. This could not have gone on without the cooperation of the Honolulu Police Dept. It finally took the Feds before anything ever happened to curtail it. From what I saw, I think that most of HPD on the North Shore are likely supplementing their income through illegal gambling payoffs.
It is good that these payoffs are only on North Shore and not in the game rooms in town or the drug dealings on beaches/parks.
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#13 Dec 20, 2008
Life!!!!!!!!
Love Waianae

Honolulu, HI

#14 Dec 20, 2008
They should put it to the cops that are involved. The case didn't even cover the tens of thousands of dollars they extorted from the winners for "security" or the drug deals. They aren't "good cops" caught up in anything, they are dirty crooks and strongarms with badges and guns.
Anonymous

Kapaa, HI

#15 Dec 20, 2008
Obviously the guy was looking for some sort of cheap thrill. I guess he'll get enough of that stuff in prison.

Serve him a tray and tell him, "The bird out".

....and then make him eat it.

echh.
Love Waianae

Honolulu, HI

#17 Dec 20, 2008
Waialua Watcher wrote:
I lived in Waialua for seven years and routinely saw large groups of people gathering out in the cane fields for **** fighting events. You would be driving along when all of a sudden you would see 50 or so cars alongside the road and hundreds of people gathered out in the middle of an old cane field. There was never any attempt to hide it. This could not have gone on without the cooperation of the Honolulu Police Dept. It finally took the Feds before anything ever happened to curtail it. From what I saw, I think that most of HPD on the North Shore are likely supplementing their income through illegal gambling payoffs.
I know guys that fought chickens there and I asked how they got away with it. I was told, "HPD handles security, we got cops on the payroll." I asked if the community was involved and was told, "They keep their big mouths shut, or else. The gamblers run this town."
WTF

Mililani, HI

#18 Dec 20, 2008
Good for the COPS who were caught......... like someone mentioned the COPS should get double the amount of TIME for their involvement. So many CROOKED COPS ON THE TAKE........ CROOKS WITH BADGES AND GUNS............... they think that THEY ARE ABOVE THE LAW.......... THAT THE RULES (LAWS) APPLY TO THE COMMON PEOPLE..........
Stony

Honolulu, HI

#19 Dec 20, 2008
Cops and their kids. Sooooooo losers.
TOWNBOY

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Dec 20, 2008
COPS IS STEWPIT NOWDAYS...THEY DONT GET PAID ENUFF SO THEY JUST TRY TO EXTORT MONEY ILLEGALLY. EVEN IN TOWN PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH MURDER SOMETIME THEY DONT CATCH THE SUSPECTS BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO SLOW AND NOT IN SHAPE...THEY ARE AT ZIPPYS EATIN DONUTS AND DRINKING COFFEE GETTING FAT...OUR CHIEF SAID "THIS IS A CLOSE FOR A DARK CHAPTER IN HPD HISTORY"...BRADDAH IT JUST STARTED...I HAVE SO MUCH FRENS IN HPD IN TOWN ALWAYS JUST GOTA DROP THERE NAME AND THEY LET ME GO....IN HAWAII ITS ALL ABOUT WHO U KNOW....FOR JOBS GETTING OUTTA CRIMES...ITS TOO MUCH!!!GET A LIFE CHIEF AND YOU DUM COPS OUT THERE...JUST WAITING FOR RETIREMENT SO U CAN GET THE EASY WAY OUT!!!LOSERS I TELL YOU!!!
omg

Kailua Kona, HI

#21 Dec 20, 2008
Love Waianae wrote:
They should put it to the cops that are involved. The case didn't even cover the tens of thousands of dollars they extorted from the winners for "security" or the drug deals. They aren't "good cops" caught up in anything, they are dirty crooks and strongarms with badges and guns.
Funny how they are bad when it comes to cockfighting but it is okay when a cop beats the crap out of his wife...get a life

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waialua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
Mayor Caldwell signs Expansion of 'Sit-Lie' Bill Dec 2 Joe Balls 2
Hawaiian motorcycle clubs (Mar '10) Nov 29 jenni 7
Stolen Hawaii Red Cross truck found on Oahu Nov '14 I See a Haole 8
Kelani J.E. 15 years new is Missing Oct '14 KelaniJsMom 1
A lot of campaign ground to cover for house dis... Oct '14 Rico 1
Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Oct '14 stonne45 70
Waialua Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Waialua People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Waialua News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waialua

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:34 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 5:34PM