State should join feds in thwarting cockfighting - Editorials

Felony convictions of a former Honolulu police officer, his wife and three others should send a strong message to law-enforcement officials protecting cockfighting operations. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lolo

Honolulu, HI

#1 Dec 24, 2008
They should put those fighting spurs on those lolos and put them in the ring together. That includes that trojan horse secretary that should have known better.
Chicken Adobo

Honolulu, HI

#2 Dec 24, 2008
Whew!
uhuh

Honolulu, HI

#3 Dec 24, 2008
just get those noisy roosters out of my neighbors yard and I'll be happy
Toilet Paper

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 24, 2008
uhuh wrote:
just get those noisy roosters out of my neighbors yard and I'll be happy
Oh is that what that was. I thought it was my neighbors.
Mason Rea

Pearl City, HI

#5 Dec 24, 2008
With regard to the statement:
"Proponents maintain that cockfighting is a cultural tradition"

Which culture, Hawaiian? No. Chinese? No. Japanese? No. European? No.

I think you know where I'm going with this...bottom line: how dare an immigrant culture bring their ignorant, barbaric practices to Hawaii and try to sell it as a "cultural tradition".

Civilized human beings don't condone strapping razors to birds and watching them tear one another apart. I mean seriously, watching birds kill one another...fun to be had all day!! NOT!
willie

Farmington, MI

#6 Dec 24, 2008
Mason Rea wrote:
With regard to the statement:
"Proponents maintain that cockfighting is a cultural tradition"
Which culture, Hawaiian? No. Chinese? No. Japanese? No. European? No.
I think you know where I'm going with this...bottom line: how dare an immigrant culture bring their ignorant, barbaric practices to Hawaii and try to sell it as a "cultural tradition".
Civilized human beings don't condone strapping razors to birds and watching them tear one another apart. I mean seriously, watching birds kill one another...fun to be had all day!! NOT!
Really, much better to have them rendered asunder in a factory so you can enjoy your McNuggets or huli huli chicken.
pearlandpeach

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 24, 2008
in Texas, if I remember the article correctly, the cock fighting tradition is from the Carribbean Islands via Mexico.....

It does not matter which culture OK's cruelty, it is still to be outlawed by all who value animals.
Kaimukirich

Honolulu, HI

#8 Dec 24, 2008
The stench of PETA hippies is strong in here....
Dr Bob

Kaneohe, HI

#9 Dec 24, 2008
Please name the legislators who refuse to consider making the barbaric acts of cock fighting and dog fighting a feloney. Include their email addresses. I can't believe they would get majority support on this issue. However a look at their campaign contributors might yield some interesting leads as to who is perpetuating these atrocious activities. I am sure that legitimate contributors would not want to be publically linked to these barbarians.
Pat

Kaneohe, HI

#10 Dec 24, 2008
Kaimu

Got nothing to do with PETA... its a barberic practice like dog eating, which two of them were caught doing recently, and we will not allow it.

If you are into cock fighting... watch out cause I and others are looking for you! You will be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!

And the next wild rooster that wakes me up at 4am is DEAD meat!

How about some holiday roasted rooster?!
Pat

Kaneohe, HI

#11 Dec 24, 2008
Dr Bob wrote:
Please name the legislators who refuse to consider making the barbaric acts of cock fighting and dog fighting a feloney. Include their email addresses. I can't believe they would get majority support on this issue. However a look at their campaign contributors might yield some interesting leads as to who is perpetuating these atrocious activities. I am sure that legitimate contributors would not want to be publically linked to these barbarians.
* Sen. Hee
Sen Hooser
* Sen. English
Sen, Espero
Rep. Awana
Rep. Cabanilla
Rep. Chong
Rep. Morita
Reo. Yamane
As i recall Hee and English floated a bill that died that made it a 'sport'
thank god it died before being introduced.

You'll need to look up the phone numbers online on the capitol web site as the BLOG won't let me post phone #'s.
willie

Farmington, MI

#12 Dec 24, 2008
I assume most of you are either vegans or have never visited a meat/poultry processing factory? Yeah it is a barbaric sport but as long as you are not a chicken you have a choice of either watching or not attending right?
Kaimukirich

Honolulu, HI

#13 Dec 24, 2008
Pat wrote:
Kaimu
Got nothing to do with PETA... its a barberic practice like dog eating, which two of them were caught doing recently, and we will not allow it.
If you are into **** fighting... watch out cause I and others are looking for you! You will be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!
And the next wild rooster that wakes me up at 4am is DEAD meat!
How about some holiday roasted rooster?!
what do you mean by 'them'? sounds pretty racist to me.

also, what the deuce about your threats of law enforcement 'looking' for me? you sound like a nazi! http://worldfuturefund.com/wffmaster/Reading/...
alice

Kailua, HI

#14 Dec 24, 2008
cockfighting is cruel.
Mr Neuman

Waianae, HI

#15 Dec 24, 2008
If we talking about cruelty to animals let look at sports fishing from charter boats Ripping, tearing flesh, inflicting pain for hours while attempting to land a fish is culturally correct? Clubbing a fish to death is somehow sporting? And just who are the main actors in charter fishing? If you paid big bucks for a Kewalo Basin or Kona charter I guess the fish's pain is somehow wholesome.
Jerry Okamura

Kapolei, HI

#16 Dec 24, 2008
What is worst, a couple of chickens trying to kill each other, or some pet owner who buys a pet? When a person buys say a fish for their fish tank, that fish will most likely die in "captivity". How many cats and dogs are put to death each and every year, by organizations ike the Humane Society?
TOWNBOY

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Dec 24, 2008
WHY THEY TRYING TO OUTLAW CHICKEN FIGHTING...THE PRESIDENTS BACK IN THE DAYS USE TO FIGHT CHICKENS...THEY TRYING TO SPOIL THE FUN FOR US TO DO ON THE WEEKENDS...ITS A FILIPINO CULTURE TO BE FIGHTING CHICKENS FOR CENTURIES...WHY U THINK IN PHILIPPINES GET CHICKEN FIGHT EVERYDAY...HPD IS DUM....GET THE REAL CRIMINALS OUT THERE NOT THE ONES MINDING THERE OWN BUSINESS...GET THE ONES WHO COMMITTING MURDER OR ABUSE...
BlueWave

Seattle, WA

#19 Dec 24, 2008
willie wrote:
I assume most of you are either vegans or have never visited a meat/poultry processing factory? Yeah it is a barbaric sport but as long as you are not a chicken you have a choice of either watching or not attending right?
At least the meat processors chop their little heads off quickly, not like the long, torturous death or injury inflicted by this cruel sport. It may be Filipino culture, but so was cannibalism in some parts of the world - should we allow that too under the guise of "cultural practice"?
NORTH SIDE VILLAINS

Yakima, WA

#21 Dec 24, 2008
HayninAk

Anchorage, AK

#22 Dec 24, 2008
Kaimukirich wrote:
The stench of PETA hippies is strong in here....
Nope, it's humanitarianism you smell. I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman, but I absolutely abhor the use of live animals fighting as a source of human entertainment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waialua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Nov 19 Joe Balls 6
Stolen Hawaii Red Cross truck found on Oahu Nov 13 I See a Haole 8
Kelani J.E. 15 years new is Missing Oct 28 KelaniJsMom 1
A lot of campaign ground to cover for house dis... Oct 27 Rico 1
Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Oct '14 stonne45 70
A week before her slaying, victim escaped to sa... (Mar '09) Oct '14 Joe Balls 27
kittens for free Sep '14 kazandraferree 2
Waialua Dating
Find my Match

Waialua People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Waialua News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waialua

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:20 am PST

NBC Sports10:20AM