Letters to the Editor - Letters

Letters to the Editor - Letters

There are 17 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 15, 2009, titled Letters to the Editor - Letters. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Tourism's down, revenues are plunging; it's rumored the Department of Education will soon start making cuts in the state library system.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

dargent77

Nashville, TN

#1 Mar 15, 2009
Saftey checks are a scam. They are entirely arbitrary. I had a 4-door with a back seat power window that was broken. FAILED. I had another car with a passenger window that was stuck. FAILED. How is the power window related to a car's safety? How about some of those tints? It's supposed to be no more than 18% but some cars and trucks look like hearses.
Dennis Corrigan

Makawao, HI

#2 Mar 15, 2009
To Almighty Haugen:
Since you do not look at any reponses without a signature, I feel compelled to respond to your latest drivel with my name attached.(I've answered before, but as you say, you ignore).
Retired, eh?
Must be, since you spent the time to say nothing (in five paragraphs).
I've thought about a chat over coffee with you but I admit I may get nauseous, or even angry.
Your constant demands, and ohyeah, I got a edumacation, are sickening.
Frankly, I tire of your diatribes and this latest, well, it made my response obligatory.
I am haole_lt at the ever popular yahoo site.
Alan Cummings

Port Angeles, WA

#3 Mar 15, 2009
dargent77 wrote:
Saftey checks are a scam. They are entirely arbitrary. I had a 4-door with a back seat power window that was broken. FAILED. I had another car with a passenger window that was stuck. FAILED. How is the power window related to a car's safety? How about some of those tints? It's supposed to be no more than 18% but some cars and trucks look like hearses.
Thankfully I have never been nailed by these "safety checks", but if what you say is happening they should be disposed of post haste. They seem to be protecting no one.
lucipher

Wailuku, HI

#4 Mar 15, 2009
Keith Haugen,

How DARE you omit MY followers!

Now you will be mine!

Bwaaahahahahaha.
(thunder clap)

Sincerely, Satan

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

#5 Mar 15, 2009
The proposed closure of Waialua Library if true would be a very sad loss indeed to the local community. Notice boards in libraries are important sources for disseminating information on community events, for keiki to discover the joy of reading and interacting with each other, for senior citizens to socialize, etc. During the bleak Winter of 1941-42 the Moscow Library remained open to the public despite the ravages of war, and brought its citizenry great solace at a difficult time. If you will pardon the pun, any plans to close Waialua Library should be shelved.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#6 Mar 15, 2009
Haw Haw is usually ridiculous in his lack of facts and twisted, humorous view of history. But in this case, he is right. Keep that remote library open.

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

#7 Mar 15, 2009
alice wrote:
Haw Haw is usually ridiculous in his lack of facts and twisted, humorous view of history. But in this case, he is right. Keep that remote library open.
-Good gracious! The immovable body has finally met with up with the irresistible force, when you start agreeing Alice it is time to worry [Haw-Haw]. Please give any example or instance of lack of facts or twisted view of history as you so scurrilously proclaim, in the court of law a judge would throw the book [a flying Chaucer] at you, for it appears obvious it is your thought process which appears remote not the library.{Haw-Haw].
alice

Honolulu, HI

#8 Mar 15, 2009
The list of your inaccurate facts could fill Hamilton Library hon. But I do appreciate your irony and humor. <wink>
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#9 Mar 15, 2009
Legalize gambling!!!!!!!!
Yellow Dog

Waialua, HI

#10 Mar 15, 2009
@ Richard Broyles: Mark Sanford is a fool. He gives away your tax dollars to other states as a PR stunt to promote his upcoming candidacy for president. Car safety inspections aren't federally mandated, but they do prevent a lot of problems, including deaths caused by unsafe vehicles.

Everyday I thank my lucky stars I live in Hawaii and not a state full of mouth-breathing rednecks, like South Carolina. Are you still flying the Confederate battle flag over your Capitol?
Yellow Dog

Waialua, HI

#11 Mar 15, 2009
dargent77 wrote:
Saftey checks are a scam. They are entirely arbitrary. I had a 4-door with a back seat power window that was broken. FAILED. I had another car with a passenger window that was stuck. FAILED. How is the power window related to a car's safety? How about some of those tints? It's supposed to be no more than 18% but some cars and trucks look like hearses.
You've got a good point ... in Hawaii. In other states, like Washington, they're conducted by the state and include emissions inspections. The money goes to the DOT to repair roads, not into the pocket of a scam artist.

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#12 Mar 15, 2009
alice wrote:
The list of your inaccurate facts could fill Hamilton Library hon. But I do appreciate your irony and humor. <wink>
But then the rain would fall, the roof would leak and his dry wit would be a wash.
Poi Boy

AOL

#13 Mar 15, 2009
The DOE should cut the salary of the staff and employees and maintain a full library system. Will that happen???????? Absolutely not. They all have to drive their expensive foreign vehicles to impress family and friends!!!!!!!!
mike

United States

#14 Mar 15, 2009
For a person like Keith Haugen to be making a very important point, he sums it up by saying a subjective , "whatever that is". Then he breaks down the percentage of religous groups, 12% would be Buddhist, 10% Mormon, etc. We all know that 12% is more than 10%. Yet his last sentence is that there are no majority of a certain type of religion in Hawaii. Mr. Keith, would you like the opportunity to rewrite your editorial again?

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

#15 Mar 15, 2009
alice wrote:
The list of your inaccurate facts could fill Hamilton Library hon. But I do appreciate your irony and humor. <wink>
-You are like that visually challenged lady who allegedly walked into Makiki Library some years ago with a seeing dog. Shortly after entering the building the blind lady picked up the dog by the tail and started swinging the poor animal above her head in circles. On viewing this spectacle the librarian ran toward the lady and asked her if she needed some assistance? The blind lady replied: "No thank you, I'm just looking around." Alice, please look around for any inaccurate facts commented on and specify where they are to be found, you will find none, where there are none. Please do not blind yourself to the truth, but rather bind yourself to it. For in the land of the blind, she with one eye is Queen.[Haw-Haw].
mike

United States

#16 Mar 15, 2009
Safety checks in Hawaii are a scam. I once had a new car that was two years old, had 8,000 miles on it. When the machanic saw the mileage, he told me to forget the road trip around the block and issued me a passing grade.
Library lover

Honolulu, HI

#17 Mar 15, 2009
I strongly agree with the first letter. It would be a shame and sacrilege to close down a library in a remote country area. I've been there before and I loved it, so neat and well serving. The politicians would do better to reduce their junkets instead of junking the library.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waialua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Dec '17 phillykip 82
Waipi'o Acres Music Thread Nov '17 Musikologist 1
Paying respect and fentanyl Nov '17 three blocks 1
News Senate panel OKs a shorter extension for rail tax (Mar '15) Aug '16 HbH 9
Man seriously injured after stabbing in Waialua (May '15) May '15 Graham 1
News VIDEO: Honolulu Police searching for suspects i... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Francine 8
News Caldwell holding town hall meetings to discuss ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 American_Infidel 1

Waialua Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waialua Mortgages