Crafting a coin ring requires patience and precision - Silver quarters, half dollars top choices

Mar 10, 2008 Full story: Coin World 44

“It would be difficult to turn this into a serious profession because of the time involved in making one of these rings”

Anyone looking to do more with a coin than collecting or spending one might consider making a ring. via Coin World

Full Story
Bill

Running Springs, CA

#21 Sep 2, 2010
It sounds easy BUT... After trying several times to make a coin ring with poor results. I agree, spend a few bucks an buy from someone with the skill to do it right.
I choose a coin ring from The Coin Smith.
www.TheCoinSmith.net COOL!
Seth

Running Springs, CA

#22 Sep 2, 2010
The Coin Smith has a great web site with lots of coin rings from around the world. He makes some out of tokens also. To get a coin ring to look like his must require a long learning curve. He has been making them for 25 years and it shows.
www.TheCoinSmith.net
Lisa W

Weare, NH

#23 Sep 2, 2010
I had to laugh at these last two comments. You both (if your not the owner of the coin smith) live right next to him on Lake Arrowhead. He posts his address right on his web site. He has some great advertising people for him out there ! lolol
Lisa W

Weare, NH

#24 Sep 2, 2010
and you posted both at the same time- Wow, what timing ! You must have called each other and compared notes lol
Seth

Running Springs, CA

#25 Sep 5, 2010
Lisa W.

You may not like my posting but it is at least related to the subject, and is good informatioin.
It's no wonder those who know how to make these amazing rings do don't want to reveal how it is done. If this subject is of no interest to you. my advice is to go elsewhere. Or at least live and let live.
Lisa W

Weare, NH

#26 Sep 6, 2010
Seth, I have no problem with your post, just thought it was funny that you and bill posted with in one minute of each other and also say that the Coinsmith is the best place to get the coin rings and you live right next to him.(or are him) I make the rings too and also posted a video on how they are done so no, I'm not one of the people that won't reveal how it's done. I find it fun and think more should learn how to make them since it's easy to do and not many tools are needed. But have at it, you, Bill and Ron keep telling everyone it's so hard. Great way to corner the market ! lolol
Brent

United States

#27 Nov 19, 2010
Lisa W wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh it's not all that hard Brent ! I mean really, are you that worried that everyone will put you out of business ? Here's a great video on how to make it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_mikLcJmK54XX&feature=pla yer_embedded
Fun to make and any one can do it with the right tools. And besides, it's always fun to learn a new craft !
That video shows the basic craft. It's a good start but she used a clad coin. It will work well but it turn your finger green. Try that with a silver coin and you will not get the same results. Silver is so soft that the ring will wobble and the shape will be funny. It takes a lot of time to learn to make a good ring.
Check out my website www.coinrings.net
Don Farron

Chicopee, MA

#28 Dec 21, 2010
Obtain a "stepped" ring mandrel. They are common and easily obtainable from any wholesale jewelry supply house. I use the Contenti Co. in Rhode Island. < www.contenti.com > They are reasonably priced and ship very quickly. Use the stepped mandrel after obtaining the correct size on a normal mandrel. This inexpensive mandrel will save you hours of reversing the coin on a traditional conical mandrel.
Jim J wrote:
Any one have any suggestions on how to make the coin a little less cone-shaped, do you think compressing it in a reduction die (like the ones on a ring stretcher would work? Thanks Jim J
Ron Judd

Running Springs, CA

#29 Jul 21, 2011
The coin rings you see in this gallery are the result of 30 plus years of trial and error. http://www.thecoinsmith.net/Gallery.html
Lisa W

Weare, NH

#30 Jul 27, 2011
Nice web site Ron, I am a silver smith as well and have a web site on etsy as well. Shire Jewelry. I guess I was lucky it didn't take me 30 years to learn. Lovely site you have.
Brandon

Liberty, MO

#31 Jan 15, 2012
I know this is an old topic, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Before yesterday, I've never made a coin ring. After doing some research I gave it a try. Here's what you need: Jewelers Mandrel, Plastic Mallet, Drill, Punch & Die set, propane torch. I started with drilling a small hole in the center of the coin, moved up two a 1/4" bit then set it in the punch & die to get a good round circle. I heated the coin until it turned dull red. Put it on the Mandrel and started hammering it down. After going each full size I pulled the coin off and reheated it, flipped the coin and hammered it to the next size, etc...(repeat to one size under desired size). From here I pulled it off, heated it to bright red, started hammering down but at a deeper angle this time to flatten it. Once flattened well, remove, heat to bright red, put it back on the mandrel and this time just hammer it to flatten.

Now your coin will look grubby and gross, if you've got it use a dremmel to polish it, otherwise you can just hand polish it clean. It took me about 4 or 5 coins to get them down good. I imagine after another 10 or 20 I'll have them looking just as good as what's on the websites.

Oh - you can buy all the tools from hobby lobby (maybe not the punch and die you might have to go to eBay for that like I did). Total cost of tools... oh about $100.

PS
This wasn't my grandfathers secret that's why I'm sharing it lol
David F

North Royalton, OH

#32 Aug 4, 2012
Lisa W wrote:
I had to laugh at these last two comments. You both (if your not the owner of the coin smith) live right next to him on Lake Arrowhead. He posts his address right on his web site. He has some great advertising people for him out there ! lolol
Lisa - good catch!
I don't know if I could trust a coin smith who does shady advertising. There are now Federal laws in place that make it illagal to make claims and referrals like that if you are in any way connected to the business. I bet the Federal Trade Comission would be interested in this! Stiff penalties are involved.

Shame shame CoinSmith man!
jim j

Las Vegas, NV

#33 Aug 7, 2012
Bill, Seth, and Ron know what they are talking about. If you don't run out and buy from them right now, you are doing yourself a great injustice. These individuals have poured their hearts and souls into the art of coin ring making.
You believe me...right?
Lisa W

Weare, NH

#34 Aug 8, 2012
Oh yeah, I believe you Jim lol coin rings, the new jewelry that is terribly hard to make. I've found other things harder than that to make but they are fun.
Mike

Cape Coral, FL

#35 Sep 24, 2012
You guys ever look at The Coin smiths story?

Bullet hole in coin....

ever heard of a dapper?

http://www.amazon.com/Eurotool-Metalwork-Esse...

=]
Sorry. Sorry Coinsmith.
I don't like secrets.

"sharing is caring!"

God bless
Jay

Radersburg, MT

#36 Dec 31, 2012
I am making one out of a silver dollar. Big ring for my big finger.
Alan aka Coin Sheriff

Littleton, CO

#37 Feb 14, 2013
I just bought the tools to make coin rings-I also design web sites. I am making a website to sell directly (no ebay or etsy fees to keep costs down). I prefer silver quarters and silver coins. Weaing nickel based coins is bad. Even using silver coins mine will be 1/3 of the price of coin smiths clad coins.
And the comments that making coin rings is harder than rocket science-its not. I am also going to put up a youtube video on how I do it(easy). If you want to buy a ring great-search for the best ring and best price. If you want to make one I hope my videos help.
The American free market system is to compete-not to lie about how hard it is to make something.
There is a NEW SHERIFF in town! And he makes coin rings(cheaper), makes websites. and I will show the world how to make coin rings!
I dont have any Annie Okley stories(WTF) about silver dollars with holes in them-and I did not recently order 100 iraqi coins-(why did you buy those?). But i have the TRUTH-and the TRUTH will set you FREE! Free as in buy one get one free in the month of March.
aka coin sheriff

Denver, CO

#38 Mar 5, 2013
The coin smith has some good secrets-there is an advanced way to make ring coins-basically skipping most of the hammering and the mandrel. There are machines that apply force in a smart way.
In the process of perfecting now. I hope when it gets released lot of cool rings will hit market at lower prices!
Secretcoun guy

Victoria, Canada

#39 Apr 19, 2013
I can make you any type of coin ring you want. One side, two sides, anything.. Gold, silver, moderen ( silver plated).. One dollar coin rings are great to put on a chain around your neck.farronvw@hotmail.com
ring master

Atlanta, GA

#42 Jan 29, 2014
Only possible by us professionals. Don't waste your time and money trying !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wagram Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bondsman: Scotland deputies abusive 22 hr noyb 1
Police looking for witnesses in Laurinburg hote... Dec 16 Just another example 1
a Gap in N.C. Law Let Frank Davidson Drive with... (Aug '07) Dec 14 monica 134
Pembroke man charged in triple homicide Dec 11 Amy Bryant 2
Review: Mccabe's Industrial Millwright Dec 1 Peter Simmons 2
Review: Integrated Pain Solutions (Oct '13) Nov 22 Deshon09 3
Worst Daycare Facilities Scotland County Oct '14 parent 2
Wagram Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Wagram People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Wagram News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wagram