Crafting a coin ring requires patience and precision - Silver quarters, half dollars top choices

Mar 10, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Coin World

“It would be difficult to turn this into a serious profession because of the time involved in making one of these rings”

Anyone looking to do more with a coin than collecting or spending one might consider making a ring. via Coin World

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of42
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sweet one

Hampden, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

Sure would like to know how to make the ones they showed in the Coin World article
Azmama

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2008

I agree. I have visited several sites to try to find photos of how to get the Coin World look on the ring. None of their coins turn out like the Coin World ones. I think the difference is due to drilling before you start tapping as opposed to drilling after you already flattened the edge like the sites I found did. I'm still looking for photos of the way to tap and keep the designs.
Bigkitten

Wilmington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

I saw a website that sells these rings with alot of pictures but the site doesnt say exactly how it is done. look at it at www.libertycoinrings.com
Ken

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2008

Website for double sided coin rings. Shows examples of silver coins and what the ring looks like for each coin. Good information. www.spiritualflyer.com
Dlax

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2008

It looks like you would need some sort of press to cut a chunk out of the middle and then, basically, turn the coin inside out... Maybe a slender cone pushing through the center and into cylinder which has an opening slightly too small for the coin to fully enter and leaves a gap the width of the ring.

I would like to try building one of those actually.
Ken

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Here is another "how to" site on how to tap a coin with a spoon. Good info: http://www.forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG2... Here is a Western and Eastern magazine article about coin ring how to. Great article and very helpful: http://members.shaw.ca/john_edmonton/Howtomak... [2].pdf
This site shows good photo examples of both the coin and the type of ring they make. Lots of information and photos on all the pages. www.spiritualflyer.com .
cornish

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

I saw www.libertycoinrings.com I bought one and gave it as prize to my highest math student.
RingsbyRuss

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

I have made lots of coin rings and started making them as a side job/ hobby. You can check out the photos at
http://www.ringsbyruss.com/photos
also see
http://www.ringsbyruss.com
Thanks, and keep up the good work!
love the hex shape!
Russ
ya momma

Fort Pierce, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

i like the orlando magic
Magic fan

Fort Pierce, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

the orlando magic are the best and their going to win a chanmponship
Ken

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Here is a link to some (double sided) coin ring crafting photos.
http://www.spiritualflyer.com/Sales.html

Coin Ring Web Site: www.spiritualflyer.com
actionjackson

Wilmington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

www.libertycoinrings.com

Nice rings on the site.
Brent

Columbus, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

Dlax wrote:
It looks like you would need some sort of press to cut a chunk out of the middle and then, basically, turn the coin inside out... Maybe a slender cone pushing through the center and into cylinder which has an opening slightly too small for the coin to fully enter and leaves a gap the width of the ring.
I would like to try building one of those actually.
I make coin rings like everyone has been talking about. For a few hundred dollars you can buy the equipment needed to make the rings. After buying the equipment then you will have to figure out how to do it. That's the hard part. If I was you I would stick to doing something other then coin rings.
Jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Check out my buds website www.coinrings.net
War Eagle Rings makes double sided coin rings.
Michael

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2010

Judged:

Hello everyone, in order to make double sided rings you will need:a drill, a ring mandrel (tapered stick with ring sizes), a rubber or rawhide mallet,and a file. The first step is to drill out the center the size of the ring you will need. You then slip it through the mandrel and you begin to tap on it with your rubber/rawhide mallet. This will turn the ring "inside out" without damaging the design. The ring wont become fully flat, so you will have to pull it out and flip it around and then tap on it again. Once its completely flat, you then file down the rough edges where you first drilled the hole. Polish that ring and you'll have a nice piece of Jewelry.
Brent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Judged:

Michael wrote:
Hello everyone, in order to make double sided rings you will need:a drill, a ring mandrel (tapered stick with ring sizes), a rubber or rawhide mallet,and a file. The first step is to drill out the center the size of the ring you will need. You then slip it through the mandrel and you begin to tap on it with your rubber/rawhide mallet. This will turn the ring "inside out" without damaging the design. The ring wont become fully flat, so you will have to pull it out and flip it around and then tap on it again. Once its completely flat, you then file down the rough edges where you first drilled the hole. Polish that ring and you'll have a nice piece of Jewelry.
You make it should so easy. If it was easy more people would be making them. It's not as easy as he is trying to make it sound and yes anyone can make a double sided coin ring but not everyone can make a good one. One of the biggest problems is getting the ring to fold over and not wobble on you. If you want to make one ring for yourself don't waste your time and send the money on the tools. buy one from someone that knows how to make a quality ring.
bigkorn

Collegeville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2010

ive done this since i was a kid i bought a pure troy ounce of silver(not currency) and now its my newly inspired project
Jim J

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Any one have any suggestions on how to make the coin a little less cone-shaped, do you think compressing it in a reduction die (like the ones on a ring stretcher would work? Thanks Jim J
Lisa W

Weare, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Brent wrote:
<quoted text>
You make it should so easy. If it was easy more people would be making them. It's not as easy as he is trying to make it sound and yes anyone can make a double sided coin ring but not everyone can make a good one. One of the biggest problems is getting the ring to fold over and not wobble on you. If you want to make one ring for yourself don't waste your time and send the money on the tools. buy one from someone that knows how to make a quality ring.
Oh it's not all that hard Brent ! I mean really, are you that worried that everyone will put you out of business ? Here's a great video on how to make it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Fun to make and any one can do it with the right tools. And besides, it's always fun to learn a new craft !
Gab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

bigkorn wrote:
ive done this since i was a kid i bought a pure troy ounce of silver(not currency) and now its my newly inspired project
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but with a precious metal round. Worried about the softness, so I'm not sure which. How did the silver ounce work out?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of42
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wagram Discussions

Search the Wagram Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 32 min Taxpayer 49,298
Gay/BI teens in Lumberton/Fayetteville/Robeson ... Apr 9 MagicalKris 1
Robenson county / Lauringburg Army Recruiter (May '08) Apr 2 Austin Emanuel 4
Say hello to the new town manager (Jun '12) Apr 2 Lucy Lou 4
wheres the weed at.. Mar 19 dominican sason 1
Fire started in effort to disguise murder (Apr '06) Mar 17 Informant 4
Soldiers find human remains during training exe... Mar '14 wondering 1
•••

Freeze Warning for Scotland County was issued at April 16 at 3:42PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••