Public weighs first designs for Wauke...

Public weighs first designs for Waukegan Savanna

There are 7 comments on the Suburban Chicago News story from Nov 18, 2009, titled Public weighs first designs for Waukegan Savanna. In it, Suburban Chicago News reports that:

The public has started to weigh in on Alternative A and Alternative B for development of the Waukegan Savanna -- but the final result could easily be a to-be-determined Alternative C. "People don't have to pick one concept or the other.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Suburban Chicago News.

Lake County Equestrian

Plano, TX

#1 Nov 23, 2009
Both options offer "trails for local riders only" with NO trailer parking. This is the same as not offering horse trails because there are very few people who can access these trails via horseback and not have to drive a truck and trailer. Horse riders are the ONLY users of forest preserve property who are required to pay to use the trails. We Lake County residents with horses hope that they will add horse trailer parking to their plans. Lake County (used to) have the largest per capita number of horses in Illinois but horse owners are not being considered in either of the existing plans.
Lake County Hiker

Mesa, AZ

#2 Nov 24, 2009
The trails are used by many more walkers and bike riders than horse riders. Horses do a lot of damage on the trails that are usually designed for walkers and bike riders. As far as I am concerned if I never see another horse on the trail I am walking on, great. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against horses, it's just they don't belong on the same trails with people walking and riding bikes. Horses leave divots in the trail and we walkers are all too familiar with the piles that are left behind. We should NOT have to walk or ride through that crap. I 've seen mothers pushing baby strollers through the maze of "things" left behind by horses. Horse owners almost never pick up after their animals. Why is that? Why is it okay to leave a huge pile of crap on the trail by a horse, but if you walk a dog you are expected to pick up the dogs mess?
What is needed is a dirt trail next to the main trail that would be exclusively for horses. Or a preserve or two dedicated to horse riders only.
Lake County Equestrian

Plano, TX

#3 Nov 30, 2009
Maybe that is why we have to PAY for using the trails in addition to the high taxes that we pay. Do YOU pay anything to use the trails? No? Why is that?
I would be very happy with a separate trail for horses but there are never any offers in the plans for that. Only state parks actually offer that option and they are free to use but are not in Lake County.
I am tired of hikers and bikers taking an attitude that they have more of a right to use the trails than horseback riders. Horse manure is mainly chewed up grass, it is not the same as excrement from meat eating animals like dogs. Also, dog walkers do not have to climb down off a 1200 lb animal to pick up a pile.
Lake County Hiker

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Dec 1, 2009
You PAY for using the trail because of the damage your horse does to the trail. Someone has to repair the damage left by hooves and pick up the crap left behind. Ever try riding a bike over divots left by a horse? You better have good suspension. You so nicely described horse manure, except you left out the part of where it comes from...and I do mean which bodily orifice. It comes out of the crapper which means it is CRAP! Funny how there are flies all over it. You may have no problem walking through it but many others DO! I am so sorry you can't get yourself off your "high" horse and pick up the crap. What a pitiful excuse. YOUR ANIMAL dropped it, YOU should be the one picking it up.
Lake County Equestrian

Plano, TX

#5 Dec 2, 2009
Hmm, well if I have paid for the county to clean up after my horse, then it is not my problem that you have a mess that bothers you. Seems to me that you should vent to the county since they are being paid to maintain the trail to your pristine requirements and evidently according to you, this service is not being provided even though as you have said, it has been paid for by the equestrian community. Where exactly then is that money going?
Lake County Equestrian

Plano, TX

#6 Dec 2, 2009
And fyi, horses don't really need the nicely groomed limestone trails - those are more for the hikers and cyclists anyway, not the horses in the first place.

I am frankly done with your hostility so this will be my last post. I hope in the future you learn to coexist more peacefully with your neighbors on this planet.

Peace out.
Lake County Hiker

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Dec 2, 2009
Typical. Your horses droppings are not your problem. You are an irresponsible owner. We CAN coexist. Just pick up your crap. And if horses don't need the limestone trails, stay off of them. I know you read this. Have a nice day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wadsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trump: a President who hates deadbeats. May 20 Janie 6
The Haunted Gate in Libertyville, IL (Feb '11) May 6 joe 9
Where is the most unusual place you ever had Sex? (May '11) Apr '16 R Miller 61
News Patients Looking For Somnomed MAS, Somnodent MA... (Aug '09) Apr '16 george3640 11
News Prince's lasting impact on Chicago, and other news Apr '16 Tami 2
News Parolee Back Behind Bars, Charged With Lincolns... Apr '16 Skeptic 3
News Editorial: Rescue squad bypasses the high road ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Resident 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wadsworth Mortgages