Driver in crash that killed horses co...

Driver in crash that killed horses could face additional charges

There are 8 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 29, 2007, titled Driver in crash that killed horses could face additional charges. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The driver of a double-decker semi that crashed in Wadsworth on Saturday night, leading to the deaths of 15 of the 59 Belgian draft horses it was carrying, has been charged with disobeying a traffic control ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

MARY NASH

Sterling, IL

#1 Oct 29, 2007
NOTE: INDIANA HORSE AUCTION IN SHIPSHEWANNEE, NEAR CHICAGO,
HAS THEIR KILL-AUCTIONS EVERY FRI. STARTING AT 9 AM
IT IS NORMAL PROCEDURE FOR KILL-BUYERS TO WAIT TIL THE WEE HOURS, OR EVEN THE NEXT DAY, TO LOAD THEIR CACHE ONTO ILLEGAL DOUBLE-DECK LOW-HANGING CATTLE TRUCKS, USING ELECTRIC CATTLE PRODS. THE CEILINGS ARE SO LOW (THEY ARE MADE FOR COWS, WHICH ARE SHORTER THAN HORSES), THAT THE HORSES' NECKS ARE FORCED DOWN AND THEY CAN'T RAISE THEIR HEADS TO BALANCE IN THE PRECARIOUS AND CRUEL TRAILERS. THIS IS WHY IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRANSPORT HORSES IN TRAILERS MADE FOR COWS.
KILL BUYERS FROM ALL OVER FREQUENT THE NOTORIOUS SHIPSHEWANNE KILL-AUCTION TO BUY UP BELGIANS AND OTHER DRAFTS BRED BY THE AMISH, AS DRAFT HORSES ARE 'MEATIER' AND BRING IN MORE MONEY PER POUND OF FLESH.
IT IS MY EXPERIENCE, THAT ANDERSON WAS (IS) A KILL-BUYER, BUYING AND TRANSPORTING DRAFT HORSES TO BE RE-SOLD TO EITHER ANOTHER AUCTION CLOSER TO CANADA, OR HE HAD INTENTIONS OF TRANSPORTING THE HORSES TO THE CANADIAN SLAUGHTER PLANT HIMSELF.
SINCE THE ILLINOIS BAN ON HORSES BEING TRANSPORTED WITH THE INTENTION OF SLAUGHTER, HE WAS PROBABLY HOPING THAT HE WOULDN'T GET CAUGHT SHIPPING SLAUGHTER HORSES THROUGH FORBIDDEN TERRITORY: ILLINOIS.
I AM URGING EVERYONE TO CONTACT THE LAKE COUNTY SHERRIFF'S OFFICE AND TELL THEM TO PRESS CHARGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, AND EXPLAIN WHY: THAT IT IS YOUR BELIEF AND EXPERIENCE THAT THOSE HORSES WERE BOUGHT AT THE KILL-AUCTION IN SHIPSHEWANNEE, IN., AND THAT ANDERSON IS A KILL-BUYER.PLEASE CONTACT THE SHERRIFF IMMEDIATELY AND HAVE HIS CREW FURTHER INVESTIGATE THIS HORRENDOUS CRIME ON HORSES!
mimi

Hollywood, FL

#2 Oct 31, 2007
hope the horses get better
Mimi

Hollywood, FL

#3 Oct 31, 2007
That is crime to be runing over the horses and kill them. buti thank god to have save some of them buti wanted all of the horses to survie.
Roxanne

Horsham, PA

#4 Oct 31, 2007
I am not a PETA person, I am however an ethical person and an animal lover.

I truly hope someone is investigating this whole situation. Even if an animal was raised for or is otherwise destined to become part of a food/product chain, they deserve to be treated humanely. This type of treatment is criminal.
chris m

United States

#5 Oct 31, 2007
I am sorry but I your find your letter very misleading for several reasons.#1 nether the truck or horses were coming from shishewana.#2 the horses were one year old or younger(which means they are smaller than cattle.#3the truck driver is not a slaughter buyer.#4 even tho i don`t have horses now i grew up with horses and cattle on the farm.You might be thinking you are helping the horses by your actions,YOU ARE NOT.It`s not about the money. The slaughter market isn`t a place the amish,or anybody else take a horse to make $.Anybody with common sense,and is familiar with horse knows that alot of horses will suffer because of your misleading actions.One ? for you.How will you help the thousands of horses that are suffering from arthuritis,old age(some can`t get up)broken bones.look at all the horses 20yrs old or older and you will see that most of them are suffering.I bet you beleive in abortion too, why else would you criticize a man that swerved to save a man`s life and killed a horse instead.
Carole

AOL

#6 Nov 1, 2007
"How will you help the thousands of horses that are suffering from arthuritis,old age(some can`t get up)broken bones.look at all the horses 20yrs old or older and you will see that most of them are suffering.I bet you beleive in abortion too, why else would you criticize a man that swerved to save a man`s life and killed a horse instead."

Chris this is an immature response. How you help the horses you used as an example is to call the vet and PAY for humane euthanasia if medical remedies fail. You don't shove them on a truck to travel hours without food or water only to be driven throught the slaughter process dazed and afraid. How you help these horses that have served you is to make sure their last hours are spent in dignity and respect. It's all about personal responsibility. Where did you learn that the only two choices are suffering or slaughter?

The "man" had to swerve because he was going too fast in an overloaded truck and he was careless. Again, take responsibility. The consequences are the result of the driver's poor choices. This was not an accident. It was caused.
chris m

United States

#7 Nov 1, 2007
Carole wrote:
"How will you help the thousands of horses that are suffering from arthuritis,old age(some can`t get up)broken bones.look at all the horses 20yrs old or older and you will see that most of them are suffering.I bet you beleive in abortion too, why else would you criticize a man that swerved to save a man`s life and killed a horse instead."
Chris this is an immature response. How you help the horses you used as an example is to call the vet and PAY for humane euthanasia if medical remedies fail. You don't shove them on a truck to travel hours without food or water only to be driven throught the slaughter process dazed and afraid. How you help these horses that have served you is to make sure their last hours are spent in dignity and respect. It's all about personal responsibility. Where did you learn that the only two choices are suffering or slaughter?
The "man" had to swerve because he was going too fast in an overloaded truck and he was careless. Again, take responsibility. The consequences are the result of the driver's poor choices. This was not an accident. It was caused.
how about cattle,hogs,and chickens.oh thats you eat those so that makes it different even tho they are animals just like horses.in alot of cultures people eat horse meat too.please explain the difference
What

New Market, MN

#8 Nov 1, 2007
Mary Nash,

The way you tell these events, it is as if we should all be gathered around a campfire and you should have a flashlight under your chin shining at your face tell us a ghost story.

Mary making something up like "it is your experience that the driver Anderson is a slaughter buyer," without even knowing Mr. Anderson first hand is called lying. You should be ashamed of trying to get other people to call in and go with your lie.

Hey if we are going to totally speculate, lie, and make things up without the facts; then I have a story for you.

These horses were headed to camp hope. At camp hope these horses would have worked with blind children. No it's true...I'll write it in all capital letters so you really believe my message. THESE HORSES WERE GOING TO CAMP HOPE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wadsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trump: a President who hates deadbeats. 2 hr Just Sayin 2
Where is the most unusual place you ever had Sex? (May '11) Apr 22 R Miller 61
News Patients Looking For Somnomed MAS, Somnodent MA... (Aug '09) Apr 22 george3640 11
News Prince's lasting impact on Chicago, and other news Apr 22 Tami 2
News Parolee Back Behind Bars, Charged With Lincolns... Apr 18 Skeptic 3
News Possible hostage incident in Grayslake ends pea... (Apr '08) Apr 15 Der 12
Don't open your doors for Black trick or treaters! (Oct '15) Apr 15 jessi 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wadsworth Mortgages