Horses in jam before crash

Horses in jam before crash

There are 14 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 28, 2007, titled Horses in jam before crash. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The fate of 46 horses that survived a weekend wreck in Lake County remained unclear Sunday as investigators looked into why 59 Belgian draft horses were being transported in a double-deck trailer made for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

lisa_j

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Oct 28, 2007
Again, we have a horrible accident involving a trailer packed with horses headed for slaughter.
Although we were able to end horse slaughter in the United States, our companions are still being shipped to slaughter in Mexico & Canada under inhumane conditions. We cannot stop the fight to end the export of our horses until our borders are closed.
It is wonderful that so many people stepped up to help the horses in the accident last night. Hopefully all the surviving horses will all be found loving homes or other sanctuary.
How many more trailer accidents do we have to clean up before a real end to horse slaughter comes about?
Kristi Goyne

Arlington Heights, IL

#2 Oct 29, 2007
This Anderson guy, the driver, should face charges of animal cruelty as well as whoever put him in the driver's seat of the semi - they should all be brought up on animal cruelty charges and sent to prison. Once again the almighty dollar is more important to these insensitive creeps (believe me I'm thinking a much harsher word here) then these poor horses who never did anything to hurt anyone. These "people" don't deserve any kind of consideration at all...ever! They are all cruel, heartless creeps.

Thank you to all the volunteers and firefighters/police who helped these poor defenseless creatures.

It's just another sad commentary on how people are living their lives with total selfishness and disregard for human/animal life.
Chicago

Pleasant Prairie, WI

#3 Oct 29, 2007
Others that should be charged are the idiots working at the weigh stations,how did he get through all those weigh stations without getting caught.Glad my tax money is going in the pockets of idiots that get paid to do nothing.
Slywy

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 29, 2007
I hope the "owner" and the driver share a cell proportionate to what they gave the horses -- for many, many years.

Belgians are a wonderful breed. I hope they find good forever homes in horse country.
Cindy Ellis

Lombard, IL

#5 Oct 29, 2007
The real tragedy of this incident is that these horses were being transported to slaughter. Belgium horses are being raised to 1-2 yr old and then slaughtered for Japanese cuisine. This type of transport is typically used for this purpose. If you are concerned about this incident then please support the federal bill that bans the transport of any US horse out of the country for slaughter and human consumption. Contact your senator or representative to demand passage of the bill now in Washington. Obviously outlawing slaughterhouses in the US is not enough. These horses were on their way to Canada for slaughter.
Brian Pence Zion IL

Skokie, IL

#6 Oct 29, 2007
My wife and I happened upon the scene on our way home and saw the truck and trailer lying on it's side, at that point we were unsure what happened and from what we could see would never have guessed that that trailer was loaded to the brim with live horses. What a terrible thing to happen to live animals and not only was it a danger to the animals but an even larger danger to innocent people sharing the roadways and to the emergency personal and all the volunteers who came to assist after the accident.
Sharon Brown

Burbank, CA

#7 Oct 29, 2007
There are two things we need to do.#1-We need to stop excessive breeding of horses in this country. Just because you have a mare doesn't mean you need to breed her!#2-We need to TOTALLY boycott ALL countries who still allow equine slaughter and who eat horsemeat. By totally I mean don't travel to those countries and put a ban on importing everything from those countries. No Japanese cars, no French cheese, you get the idea. Hit them in the wallet and then MAYBE they'll stop their reprehensible actions!! How about we start eating their companion animals. Oh, sorry, that's uncivilized!!
Kay Francis

Mendota, MN

#8 Oct 29, 2007
This was not isolated. It was one of four trucks loaded with horses.
Cathy Atkinson

Houston, TX

#9 Oct 29, 2007
It is long past time ALL states made transport of horses in double-decker trailers illegal. Not only is it inhumane for the horses, it is unsafe for other drivers on the road. Horses struggle and thrash in a way that cows and other livestock do not, and this can easily unbalance a trailer. Even if you're not an animal lover, imagine the danger to other drivers if this had happened during rush hour! I applaud those who helped save as many horses as possible and hope that the insurance company will do the right thing and turn the horses over to area rescues for a second chance at life.
larry hanlin

Addison, IL

#10 Oct 29, 2007
driver of the pickup what about the pickup driver and his wife ?????????? no one seems concerned
concerned

AOL

#11 Oct 30, 2007
Unbeleivable these people should be put away for 20 years. It amazes me how unhumane people can be. I wish the best for these horses. I hope the people that are responsible for this cruel act are held accountable and hope the horses never have to see these cruel people again.
Larry Reynolds

Fort Collins, CO

#12 Oct 30, 2007
God bless the first responders and others who helped these horses. Our only recourse as horse lovers and citizens is to write our Congressional Representatives and demand the bill outlawing transport for human consumption be passed. Getting this passed will force the "meat breeders" out of business...no legal market, fewer instances of this happening.
Sheri Stachlewitz

Ann Arbor, MI

#13 Oct 30, 2007
I have seen how these horses are slaughtered. It is a horrible, nasty, mean and downright inhumane way to treat an animal as beautiful as a horse. These horses are beautiful animals with long lives ahead of them. They are bred and used then thrown away by some slimy jerk (a few choicer words come to mind) looking to earn an extra buck or two. Slaughter should be outlawed, especially the way it is done. The transport across borders for slaughter should be outlawed. And the breeding of mares for the heck of it should be monitored. Don't breed a mare just cause you have one. If these countries want to slaughter horses for food, let them raise them and slaughter them in their OWN countries. Then lets see how many people in those countries decide it is a horrible way to live and die. Once they see the terrible way these animals are treated, they may have second thoughts.
lisa_j

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Oct 31, 2007
larry hanlin wrote:
driver of the pickup what about the pickup driver and his wife ?????????? no one seems concerned
I believe it said in an earlier article that they escaped with minor injuries & were just fine. Which is a blessing because they could have been killed - which would have added more charges to the driver of the truck & the owner of the horses.

But they don't need to be saved from slaughter and sent to a sanctuary to away adoption. I think they just went back home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wadsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zion township Sat JJJ 2
The Jehovah Witness is a Dangerous CULT - Keep ... (Jul '12) Sat les groper 18
News Suit claims Fox Lake misappropriated $2.2 milli... Apr 21 Skip 3
News Cougar Sighting Reported In Gurnee (Apr '08) Apr 17 One Hung Low 9
strange Apr 13 eddy 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Sam Cunningham as Alderman? (Aug '14) Mar 29 Livinamerica 14
Waukeganís ties to Mexican town may be tested u... Mar 25 keepinithonest 1

Wadsworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wadsworth Mortgages