Teenager shot in leg at LI high school

Teenager shot in leg at LI high school

There are 42 comments on the The Associated Press story from Dec 13, 2008, titled Teenager shot in leg at LI high school . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Suffolk County police say a 14-year-old boy has been shot in the leg after a basketball game at William Floyd High School on Long Island.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Steven

Artesia, CA

#24 Dec 13, 2008
Abolish the welfare system and the war on drugs!Allow law abiding citizens to have guns.Problem solved.

Iro

“Words of Silence”

Since: Dec 08

Rzeszow

#25 Dec 13, 2008
Steven wrote:
Abolish the welfare system and the war on drugs!Allow law abiding citizens to have guns.Problem solved.
NOOOOO!

Limit welfare yeah but not abolish war on drugs, that won't help. Maybe if they had more control over such substances things like this wouldn't happen. Or instead of having a war in Iraq put some money here to fix the community? And no guns for anyone i would say, that only gives an easier access to them.
Steven

Artesia, CA

#26 Dec 13, 2008
Spoken like a true liberal.Let's all sing and hand out flowers together!
Iro wrote:
<quoted text>
NOOOOO!
Limit welfare yeah but not abolish war on drugs, that won't help. Maybe if they had more control over such substances things like this wouldn't happen. Or instead of having a war in Iraq put some money here to fix the community? And no guns for anyone i would say, that only gives an easier access to them.
Willie

Bronx, NY

#27 Dec 13, 2008
Another reason to save and get out of that cesspool. Leave it to the social leaches and misfits
Jeannine

Sayreville, NJ

#28 Dec 13, 2008
My Aunt has been teaching in Wm. Floyd HS for over 25 years, and I give her credit. It's not a *terrible* area, but I do have friends expecting a child in February, and they want out for the baby's well being. They live in Mastic, and want to come over here to the Smithtown area. You say every area has it's good and bad apples, but Mastic/Shirley seems to have a bit more bad ones.

It's a shame too because it's a nicely developed area.

And in response the the post above with the "no guns for anyone"...give me a break. What about the antique gun collectors? You want to take their collection away? I say that more through background checks should be done and they should somehow crack down on illegal gun sales.
DEVO

Chicago, IL

#29 Dec 14, 2008
All these so called teachers in inner city neighborhoods really get me! They could care less about the little babboons they are "trying to reach". The fact is that these "teachers" get every other day off because of some made up "holiday" and they still collect paychecks. As well as the ENTIRE summer off... teachers,stop your whining and collect your pay!
At the end of the day that's all you're good for.
camp better place

Trenton, NJ

#30 Dec 14, 2008
It is a crying shame. That out Students can no longer enjoy a Basketball Game without the fear of retailation. Due to William Floyd School having Honor Students and being good kids. I think that is what really set this tragedy off.

The William Floyd District should talk to their County Legislature to have the William School District put in Metal Walk in Detectors. If no one speaks up. Don't expect this situation to just go away. All Parents and Teachers and Friends should hold a meeting to see what could be done to avoid another tragedy like this one again. Let's "Thank God" that the boy is already and was attended to in time. Heavens know what could of happen if there were no "Emergency Crews at happen". God forbide we have to cut down on the "Emergency Crew Services".

It's time to wake-up and smell the Coffee William Floyd High School Alumni and Parents.

Sign Off
Camp Better Place
camp better place

Trenton, NJ

#31 Dec 14, 2008
By the way "Do you know who your County Legisltute is?" Duh h h h h- Call the Town of Brookhavan to find out!!!!

District 6 -?
Mike Fink

Bronx, NY

#32 Dec 14, 2008
I'm not for shooting of anybody, but I'm also not for stomping a person to death on Black Friday, while Christmas shopping. It seems to go with our present day society. We are getting more uncivilized, while certain groups are trying to force us to become more civilized. Anybody have the reasoning behind this?
Mike Fink

Bronx, NY

#33 Dec 14, 2008
No guns is just another liberal showing there ignorance. Let's see, people stomp a person to death while shopping, so let's cut off there feet. Tens of thousands of people are killed on the highways so we should ban all vehicles. Hundreds of thousands of people are killed by doctors every year, maybe they should be banned. Ban explosives because people are being killed around the world by it. Oh that's right, that stuff is already banned by law. I guess so much for the law. Wake up you simple minded liberals who are so liberal in your thinking.
former riverheadian

Warren, NJ

#35 Dec 15, 2008
sillyme1 wrote:
Against the Riverhead School, the shooting does not surprise me.They are a wild bunch in Riverhead.
Yeah, I went to school in Riverhead, and when I was in school it wasn't that crazy.. I'm glad I graduated when I did... it's just getting worse every year that passes.
glaxy

Sag Harbor, NY

#36 Dec 15, 2008
stop bashing on mastic look at other schools
Vince

Medford, NY

#38 Dec 18, 2008
Debbie wrote:
I am tired of people bashing our community and schools. We have dedicated well educated teachers here. The majority of our students are just as dedicated to their educations. The problem isn't with our schools and community; the problem exists with the department of social services and the many absentee slumlords who own homes to rent. "out of sight,out of mind." They don't care as long as they get their money. On top of that you have every 50 foot wide lot with a new home being built on it. When these homes can't be sold, how do you think the builders will make back their money? The one way they will be guaranteed to get it....rent to subsidized housing. There was a moratorium on building on Montauk highway, how about one for new home permits! People, we need to stand up and take our community back! There are more good things than bad things happening here. The more voices heared the better.
Please check the blogs on here about the Absentee Landlord Tax. It seems to be the best solution to the problem. In affect it charges the Landlord an additional stepped tax, that increases with each home they add. the hope is to make it monetarily difficult for these Slumlords to still make a profit. That is my take on it. Please look for yourself to get the whole story, but it sure sounds like a solution to me. Everyone I know who lives here says the same thing. The problem with the Tri-hamlet area is not with the homeowners, but with the DSS supports absentee Landlords.
ANDY

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Jan 9, 2009
i understand this incident took place in close proximity to the exit door if there was a uniformed police officer at the door during the time the game let out chances are this incident would not have happened.(at least not so close to the school)
Thin The Herd

West Des Moines, IA

#40 Jan 9, 2009
THE TRUTH wrote:
What a bunch of racist fear mongers.This kind of stuff happens EVERYWHERE. I spent the first 35 years of my life in NYC. This kind of thing happens just about every day there. We have isolated incidences like this out here and right away everyone starts with their not so well masked racist diatribes. This is why your kids turn into sniveling little panty wastes as adults. They can't socialize with anyone who may be different than them because they live sheltered childhoods and have to listen to racist drivel from parents like you. Grow up and stop sheltering them from the REAL world, otherwise they will turn into YOU
Imagine that parents would want to have their kids grow up w/o the likelihood of getting shot. Yes, shootings happen everywhere....geographically, that's true. It's also true that they happen much more often where the local geography is populated by blacks. That's just a fact, not racist at all.

The truly sad thing is that comments like yours impede honest discussion about why blacks are killing blacks at such a high rate, because you refuse to acknowledge that it's happening, and throw out the racist ad hominem when someone points out the facts.

You seem to be willing to countenance the suffering of families who lose young loved ones to hold onto some false political paradigm.
Thin The Herd

West Des Moines, IA

#41 Jan 9, 2009
Christmas wrote:
I live here in Mastic Beach, and have my whole life......and I tell you I am NOT shocked at this incident, but I am disgusted. I read these posts and see how people talk about Mastic Beach, and then you have the loyals that defend it.
But I am afraid to say......it is what it is. This place is going down hill, and fast. We have our good parts, but the Thugs are taking it over. If we could get rid of the thugs and white trash, we'd be okay. but I guess that's the same of every town.:(
Is this near the Wal Mart in which the mob of shoppers trampled and killed the store employee, and then demanded the store stay open?

I mean, that kind of incident pretty well defines a community character.

“Kay Deezle”

Since: Sep 08

Riverhead

#42 Jan 9, 2009
THE TRUTH wrote:
What a bunch of racist fear mongers.This kind of stuff happens EVERYWHERE. I spent the first 35 years of my life in NYC. This kind of thing happens just about every day there. We have isolated incidences like this out here and right away everyone starts with their not so well masked racist diatribes. This is why your kids turn into sniveling little panty wastes as adults. They can't socialize with anyone who may be different than them because they live sheltered childhoods and have to listen to racist drivel from parents like you. Grow up and stop sheltering them from the REAL world, otherwise they will turn into YOU
Im an 18 year old senior at Riverhead High School and believe me, your saying that parents are sheltering their kids? Not true at all. I cant tell you how many different kinds of people you see talking together and being civil (for the most part) at the school. Everyone has their differences sometimes and things happen, yeah its horrible the kid got shot, but like you said things like this happen everywhere every day. We just dont always hear about it. So I agree, and disagree.

“Mastically Shirleycious*”

Since: Jan 09

Mastic Beach

#43 Jan 9, 2009
Thin The Herd wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, shootings happen everywhere....geographically, that's true. It's also true that they happen much more often where the local geography is populated by blacks.
Except that this area is not "populated by blacks".

Oops, your faux pas.

“Mastically Shirleycious*”

Since: Jan 09

Mastic Beach

#44 Jan 9, 2009
Tomlinson (the guy who shot the teen) was recently arraigned.

http://trihamletpress.blogspot.com/2009/01/bu...
joe

Bronx, NY

#47 Jun 21, 2009
the person who shot him wasn't even in floyd. Floyd isn't as bad as it seems, I've walked on neighborhood, mastic road, back roads everywhere early in the morning say two. Nothing bad has ever happened to me, sure theirs the occasional cars that come by and the people on the bikes but other than that it's quite. Their is the "crackheads" and the "potheads" but most town's do. Sure theirs some kids who don't care and are out every night and drink but thats also in most towns. they even made a skatepark for the kids. its not bad whatsoever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wading River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) Sat Manny 460
Domestic violence (Apr '16) Nov 14 Poor Homie 14
KKK Ignorance Nov 12 The Silent Majority 8
Cocoa the Yorkie / badtothebone Nov 9 Rum Runner 4
News Steve Levy: A tale of two Cuomos and two nuke b... Nov 8 BDV 2
is BADTOTHEBONE GAY????? (Jan '16) Nov 7 We are ESM 3
Badtothebone (Jan '16) Nov 7 We are ESM 9

Wading River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wading River Mortgages