Murder for Hire in Frisco

Posted in the Waco Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Justice

Valley Mills, TX

#1 Feb 6, 2009
Frisco police have arrested three people in the December murder-for-hire killing of Craig Nail, including Mr. Nail's estranged wife, police announced Wednesday.

It marks the second time Vera Elizabeth Guthrie-Nail, 42, has been arrested in the case. She was taken into custody earlier this month and posted bail after being accused of trying to hire a boyfriend to kill Mr. Nail.

That boyfriend, who has not been identified by police, told authorities he thought it was a joke until learning from news reports that Mr. Nail was fatally shot one day after Christmas.

In addition to Ms. Guthrie-Nail, police also arrested Mark Lyle Bell, 52, of McKinney and Thomas Edward Grace, 55, of Carrollton.

Mr. Grace and Ms. Guthrie-Nail were both charged with conspiracy to commit capital murder. Mr. Bell has been charged with capital murder.

Mr. Bell has a criminal history of burglary, forgery and theft in the 1980s and '90s. No criminal records were found for Ms. Guthrie-Nail or Mr. Grace in Texas.

It's not clear how the three are connected, where they met or if they have any connection to Ms. Guthrie-Nail's boyfriend, who went to police after Mr. Nail's death. Frisco police released no information about where the three were arrested or what led them to the suspects.

A police news conference planned for today was canceled after the names of the suspects were released late Wednesday. Sgt. Gerald Meadors, a Frisco police spokesman, did not return phone calls but wrote in a news release that the investigation is ongoing.

Little is known about the two men arrested, except where they live.

A woman who identified herself as Linda Bell, Mr. Bell's wife, answered the phone at their McKinney house Wednesday night, and began sobbing when asked about her husband.

"There's no possible way he could have done it," the woman said. After a long pause filled with weeping, she hung up the phone.

Mr. Nail was shot multiple times on Dec. 26 while in the upper level of the Frisco home, which he shared with Ms. Guthrie-Nail before they separated.

He died in the house. The same night, Mr. Nail's girlfriend, Therisa Hofman, walked into the house through the garage, encountered the assailant, and was also shot. Ms. Hofman managed to get to a neighbor's house and survived the attack. She has been cooperating with police.

The Nails had been separated throughout a bitter divorce case, which was filed in May 2006 and was close to an end. But the suit had not been going in Ms. Guthrie-Nail's favor. She lost the house and primary custody of the couple's 6-year-old daughter to him.

Ms. Guthrie-Nail had complained to court officials that Mr. Nail had touched their daughter in inappropriate places, but those accusations were never substantiated.

According to Ms. Guthrie-Nail's arrest warrant affidavit, she told her boyfriend, whom she dated for four months, that she "would rather go to prison than let Craig have her daughter."

The boyfriend told police that she regularly asked him to kill Mr. Nail, offering at one point to "lure Craig to the house with a promise of sex and the chance to reconcile their marriage." At that point, according to the affidavit, the boyfriend could "come into the house through the garage and kill Craig when he went upstairs."

The boyfriend told police that he thought she was joking.
Justice

Valley Mills, TX

#2 Feb 6, 2009
UPDATE as of 2/5/09

The 3 are still in the Collin County Jail for Consipracy to Commit Capital Murder and under 1 million dollar bond each. DA is seeking the death penalty on Mark Bell, Liz for the first time has her mouth shut and Thomas Edward Grace (the middle man) just plead down to a lesser charge of Conspiracy to Commit Aggravate Assualt, 3rd degree felony which carries a 2-10 prison sentence and $10,000 fine.

Elizabeth's brother Johnnie Guthrie (an ex-felon) was in jail again at the time of Craig's murder and the gun and drugs found after the search warrant was excuted at his Mom's Shirley's house and his in China Spring were his. And Neeley married Johnny after all this--go figure???

And finally, Mary Kay took Elizabeth's consultant's contract away from her.
afriend

Grandview, TX

#3 May 19, 2009
Justice wrote:
UPDATE as of 2/5/09
The 3 are still in the Collin County Jail for Consipracy to Commit Capital Murder and under 1 million dollar bond each. DA is seeking the death penalty on Mark Bell, Liz for the first time has her mouth shut and Thomas Edward Grace (the middle man) just plead down to a lesser charge of Conspiracy to Commit Aggravate Assualt, 3rd degree felony which carries a 2-10 prison sentence and $10,000 fine.
Elizabeth's brother Johnnie Guthrie (an ex-felon) was in jail again at the time of Craig's murder and the gun and drugs found after the search warrant was excuted at his Mom's Shirley's house and his in China Spring were his. And Neeley married Johnny after all this--go figure???
And finally, Mary Kay took Elizabeth's consultant's contract away from her.
The drugs were found at Johnny's house, he live on the same property as his mother.
Collin County Resident

Frisco, TX

#4 Oct 28, 2009
Elizabeth was originally charged with conspiracy. She is now charged with Capital Murder. Mr. Grace received a bond reduction in August and posted bond and is no longer incarcerated. Mr. Bell's trial should begin soon.
Collin County Resident

Frisco, TX

#5 Oct 28, 2009
Mr. Grace did not plead down to anything, as he has yet to go to trial. His original charges were dropped down to lesser charges, I am sure, in return for his testimony against the other two.
Collin County Resident

Charlotte, NC

#6 Feb 1, 2011
Mr. Grace recieved a bond reduction but is still facing capital felony murder 19.03(a)(2)
Ms. Guthrie has personally told me a totally different story about why SHE killed her husband?? so IDK God will punish her in the end!
amt

United States

#7 Apr 22, 2011
How are the Nail children since all if this has happened? I feel for them. My daughter went to pre-K with K. I pray she doing ok.
brandon

Yonkers, NY

#8 May 17, 2011
If any of the kids read this please feel free to contact me. I am Craigs best freind and was with him when his daughter was born, went to junior high school and high school together. He was the most jovial awesome freind you could ask for. We knew each other very well there was nothing like it in the world still to this day. We have so many good memories, working out together at Bally's , Delta Sonic he managed and I sold car washes to record proportions and we had fun every single day. We did homework together and played on his computer growing up. We partied and went to beach together and just had awesome times. We rode motorcycles on long road trips to Attica and southern tier... Craig Nail didn't have a bad bone in his body and he loved his sister and kids so damn much it was a special thing...
brandon

Yonkers, NY

#9 May 17, 2011
Collin County Resident wrote:
Mr. Grace recieved a bond reduction but is still facing capital felony murder 19.03(a)(2)
Ms. Guthrie has personally told me a totally different story about why SHE killed her husband?? so IDK God will punish her in the end!
can you tell me please that story. I talked to craig the night before the incident and talked with him at great lengths about uplifting things to take his mind off of all the court battles. But when he told me he won and why he won I told him there was something potentially wrong with this woman Elizabeth ...it is inhumane for her to be acting and doing the things she does ..she was a danger for her kids so she could be a danger to anyone. I cannot believe she is not in sentenced yet. Do you or anyone know what happened or is happening now with her?
katie

Houston, TX

#10 Jun 20, 2011
How could anybody be so cruel and selfish? How do we know we are not falling in love and marrying a psycho? You all who were dear friends, did the wife seem "normal"?
You know

Tualatin, OR

#11 Jun 24, 2011
Eliabeth was never normal . Bizzare family. Spoiled. Backstabber, you name it .. ive known her over 2 decades
Wondering

Belton, TX

#12 Aug 3, 2011
Mark Bell pled guilty and will be serving a life sentence. For the plea deal, they took the death penalty off the table. I wonder if he turned evidence again her?
Cant believe

Harker Heights, TX

#13 Aug 6, 2011
Now that Mark Bell has pleased guilty, I wonder what said to get the plea. Any idea when the other two will be going to trial. The worst part of this is that two great kids no longer have their father. I pray for both Kristin and Katie and hope one day they will find some peace. We will never understand why this happened but hopefully justice will be served.
Justice

Waco, TX

#14 Aug 8, 2011
His sentence was not Life. It was Life Without the Possibility of Parole. Big difference in Texas. It was my understanding in a Capital Murder case there were no plea bargains. Liz and TEG are next!
Justice

Waco, TX

#15 Oct 6, 2011
Elizabeth is scheduled for trial 1/30/12. Let's hope that the plea bargain that Bell took to testify against her will NAIL her to the wall.

Since: Dec 11

Charlotte, NC

#16 Dec 4, 2011
I think that Texas should warm up old sparky for these next two!
Texas missed it on Mark Bell, now he will have a life of color tv, AC, good books, movies medial,dental care that will cost the tax payers 30k+/year for the next 20 years. WTG Texas!
Mary

Irving, TX

#17 Dec 9, 2011
Elizabeth helped me in more ways than anyone will ever know due to her strong faith.... either which way the table turns .. God will prevail & He will use Elizabeth in amazing ways. Everything happens for a reason... & God will not give us or HER more than we can handle. I've indured some hard times... but nothing like she has thruout this turmoil. Keep your head up ... close your eyes & see. F.R.O.G
steve

United States

#19 Jan 31, 2012
I was on her Jury pool just yesterday... 73 people. it took them 8 hours to pick the Jury.....
Crazy one

Lubbock, TX

#20 Sep 2, 2012
The trial starts this week
concerned

Arlington, TX

#21 Sep 3, 2012
Hi, Crazy one... are you sure the trial starts this week. It also says on the court docket is starts Sep 10th. Thanks for your help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) Fri Baybeh 7,913
News Report says Chip and Joanna Gaines' church has ... Dec 3 Gremlin 4
News City sees increase in millennial population Nov 23 Doesntmatterdoe 2
What is Waco like? (Mar '09) Nov 19 Dutchess 50
We are moving to the Waco area. What is the bes... (May '09) Nov 15 SUZY Q 41
Hello Nov 10 Local 1
Sex offenders in Robinson (Apr '09) Nov '16 B j McDonald 2

Waco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waco Mortgages