Matt Baker supporters rally to his de...

Matt Baker supporters rally to his defense

There are 18 comments on the Kerrville Daily Times story from Nov 14, 2007, titled Matt Baker supporters rally to his defense. In it, Kerrville Daily Times reports that:

“My heart went out to him during this hard time”

Faith in a long-time friend and a desire to help a neighbor have compelled several community members to hold a fund raiser for the legal defense of Matt Baker, the 36-year-old former Baptist minister who has ... via Kerrville Daily Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kerrville Daily Times.

Kaye

San Antonio, TX

#1 Feb 25, 2008
Matt Baker is a sexual predator of young women.
To learn that he is, again, "teaching" and a youth minister is unbelievable! How many girls and young woman have to come forward with their stories, for the Baptist Church and the community to realize this man should be befind bars! Shame on those who are willing to put their children in harm's way!
Totally unbelievable!
a Kerrvillian

United States

#2 Mar 3, 2008
The entire story the tells is fishy ... and when that occurs, there's usually a rotten, stinky dead fish nearby. He smells fishy and his parents smell fishy too ... always have! <a Kerrvillian>
a Kerrvillian2

United States

#3 Mar 4, 2008
That was one of the longest articles I've ever seen in a magazine ... well, I guess it had to be long since Preacher Baker has A LOT of explaining to try to do. So far, his excuses fall way short! First of all, his claim that his wife was so depressed that year, contradicts what her family said ... and why would she be so depressed - she still had two other children whom she loved. Preacher Baker's statement that "No one knows how bad she was" only hurts him ... because: why the hell didn't he say something to ANYONE about "how bad it was?" Why didn't he try talk to her family/friends/therapist about "how bad things were?? You know why - because, the truth is: she wasn't (her main issue to deal with was that she thought Preacher Baker was going to kill her). Second, this entire portrait Mr. Baker, his family, and his lawyer are trying to paint of them having the "perfect marriage" doesn't add up. He is not an attractive guy, and she was no swimsuit model, thus it only makes sense why he would use his clout as a preacher to prey on young girls (oh yeah ... they're ALL lying). Third, why did he make so many calls to a new young girl moments after his wife died? And, not to mention - why were they seen shopping for rings a week later?(Oh yeah ... they were looking for earrings for her little girl - not what the police affidavit says!) Can someone please interview his new fling, as well as the jewelry store clerk? Fourth, how many times has anyone who committed suicide taken the time to type a note? I want to know if Kari was known to type a lot ... if she really did type that note, then where's the computer she typed it on? Anyone could easily find out when that document was generated (oh yeah ... Mr. Baker got rid of the home computer - gave it to his parents in Kerrville, who then got rid of it - it's gone baby!) By the way, why didn't she at least sign the note? Why was the note so short? If someone with as many close friends and family members as she had, wouldn't she have wanted to say something to them before she checked out? Fifth, when did she find time to take all those pills that night? According to Mr. Baker, they all had just left the YMCA, then got home and drank wine coolers. If she had taken them at the YMCA, she would have for surely shown signs of being really sick - which begs the question of why Mr. Baker left her there at 11 pm to rent a movie (one that they've already seen) when she was throwing up? If anyone had taken that many pills, anyone would have known that she needed emergency help. Sixth, how did the crushed Ambien end up in Mr. Baker's brief case?(Oh yeah ... kids at the church put it there - how stupid does he think we are?) Seventh, why were there searches at web sites to buy more sleeping pills when Mr. Baker was "soooo worried" about the number of pills she supposedly was already taking? And the best for last: Eighth, who (other than Preacher Baker) would not say a word about their computer being stolen/lost from their office? Moreover, who would then attempt to steal a secretary's computer, and then label-it-up as to make it look like theirs??? Hummm ... this whole thing smells fishy, and when that happens, there's usually a rotten fish nearby. I think the detectives should investigate the death of Preacher Baker's daughter too!!
Concerned Aunt

Dallas, TX

#4 Mar 6, 2008
Is he still with the BSU at Schreiner University in Kerville???
JDl

Loudonville, OH

#5 May 19, 2008
The Suicide note was very telling to me.
I am a writer and there at the bottom of her note was typed "Please continue to be the great Dad to our little girls. Love them ever day for me."
Oh please....he typed that to tell the grandparents and the world to not take those girls away from him.
The whole note was all about HIM.
He wrote it.
He made sure to type that he was great, that he was loved, and that he was a good dad.
He also stated that he needed to be the one to "love" and take care of the girls....no one else.
What a self serving letter made to appear as if it was from Kari.
The other evidence just helps to form the rest of the puzzle.
He's guilty. I wish I lived in his hometown.
brandi wilson

Alma, KS

#6 May 24, 2008
Sadly, this is what happens way too often in churchs. You can tell people and police when you are 13 years old "He tried to molest me...", and yet you see 15 years later he is still working with children in the church. And despite some allegations against the person and work and other places, it is "swept under the rug". Why is this? It is because there is no physical evidence to prove that this 13 year old girl, and other women and girls, is not lying. So because there are no charges against the man... there is no public records about the accusations and he is able to work around the children in his church.

The man I am speaking of, I have found out since I was 13, that he has molosted and harrassed many women and children (his own sons, daughter, grandkids and fostor kids) but those few that did come forward at work and me... there was no evidence. His kids or fostor daughter will not step up and tell police about it... I have begged them to. He is a sick man, his mother molested him as a child... he needs to be away from women and children. His wife also needs to step up and confess all she knows. When this happened to me, she called an apologized for what her husband did... she said, "He promised he wouldn't do it this time..." My parents went out of town and untrusted my caregiving to our close friends. Evidentally, his wife asked him not to molest me during my stay.

Sad.
Kerrvillian3

Tampa, FL

#7 Jul 28, 2008
I actually went to high school with this guy. He was ok until his Senior year in high school. He became grossly arrogant and very big headed. It actually got to the point that it was sickening. Which baffled me because he didn't have that much going for him. Perhaps, he got it from his mother. I knew her too and she was very arrogant and dominant with no sense of humility. His Senior year, Matt enjoyed dating younger, impressionable girls and then dumping them once he knew that he had won their affections and got bored with them. I can remember two different instances of that his Senior year alone. I saw him years later at Baylor. He had not changed a bit. Still as arrogant as the last day I saw him. I have read the police affidavit and many things don't add up, not even close. If it was one or two things that didn't add up, maybe, but there are numerous things in that report that don't add up at all! I have lived this life long enough to know that innocent people don't act that way and depressed/suicidal people don't act that way either. Innocent people don't have important evidence just "disappear". Too many things fall short of the mark. It wouldn't surprise me to find out he did it, so arrogant in himself to think that no one would question him because he is Matt Baker, a preacher. Also, when you have numerous females come forward and tell similiar stories of how he tried to force himself on them is a testament to his character. If it was one or two that know each other, maybe, but when it's several different women, years apart, that might be a sign that it could be true. If I had good money to bet, I sure wouldn't bet it on Matt Baker's innocense and I sure would have my kids, especially my daughter, round this "preacher"!!
need to know

Edinburg, TX

#8 Jan 17, 2009
Concerned Aunt wrote:
Is he still with the BSU at Schreiner University in Kerville???
I don't know but I would like to know exactly who he was a youth minister to? The girls soccer, boys soccer, girls softball, boys baseball, girls/boys basketball teams? What years were he at Schreiner, substituted at Tivy ... When he worked at Schreiner and Tivy were any sexual assualt allegations made against him? What did they do about it? Was it covered up at Schreiner, Tivy ..? Does anyone know if Baker partied with the students? Does anyone know someone who has made a sexual assualts omplaint against him or anyone else in kerrville? I am very interested because I have heard several different stories?

Who did this minister spend his time with?
just the old boys club

Edinburg, TX

#9 Jan 17, 2009
Kaye wrote:
Matt Baker is a sexual predator of young women.
To learn that he is, again, "teaching" and a youth minister is unbelievable! How many girls and young woman have to come forward with their stories, for the Baptist Church and the community to realize this man should be befind bars! Shame on those who are willing to put their children in harm's way!
Totally unbelievable!
I would like to know what the girls names are who have come forward. Did the sexual assualt happen in Kerrville, at Tivy, Schreiner or the YMCA? What year did these alleged sexual assualt take place? Who was told about them and what if anything did they do about it? If you know any one who has made claims of sexual assualts in Kerrville, please share the information. Kerrville is a community that feels every girl who makes these outcries are lying. The mothers and daughter of this community need to start comparing notes to end this nightmare.

I have heard alot about rohypnol incidents and sexual assualts happening on a regular basis. These girls are scared to come forward because of the harrassment they know they will experience if they do. They also know they will be accused of lying or are scared of whatever else they may have been doing at the time. But, a rape or sexual assualt overrides anything else. A rape, like a murder has no statue of limitation for an arrest. I would love to know how many noncps sexual assualts investigations are ever solved in Kerrville, if any?

If Matt Baker is teaching and parents don't know what he has been accused of then the community needs to be told- via internet-TV, newspaper (outside of Kerrville because the local paper only prints what the old boys club allows). The district that hires him is liable for anything he does. The district-school board, university, ministry, ect.. are all personally liable for this decision. If your are aware of a person's criminal allegations, charges.. and you still go ahead and hire them, I don't think the tort law applies. If these parents knowly expose their children to Matt Baker, endangeing their childrens saftey - call CPS.. and keep calling them on their families. A sexual assualt/rape is one step below murder. And once a rapist /murder you are always a .... Do you know where Matt Baker's children are at? Are they with him? If not, why aren't they with him is because he is to be trusted? Then why would anyone else trust him or anyone else who knew about his past. I mean wasn't he hired at Schrieners/Tivy even after years of allegations made against him?

Is there any justice when you hire a know and or documented sexual predator? I mean there are a lot of crimes that one would understand giving a second chance to but not sexual assualt. Schreiner has a convicted sexual predator on campus as we type. As a matter of fact they seem to continual to hire them on a regular basis. Why is that? Do the parents of these unknowing students (especially those very young ones) know that they can go to Texas DPS- and click on universities and see for themselves who I am talking about. As a matter of fact just do criminal check- use Kerrville zip code, get a name of a predator - go to the Kerr County Data- click on public information - go to criminal records type in their name. Be sure to get the name of the attorney to type in as well, you can see all the names of people who have been accused of sexual assualt. Now, most cases are dismissed, disposed.. because everyone who makes these complaints are liars. I assure you that it will be an eye opening experience to see soooo many alligations that never seem to be charged. If they are- they have a history of the cases being dismissed first. All Kervillians need to look and see what really happens here!
Family Friend

Mcallen, TX

#10 Mar 25, 2009
Kaye wrote:
Matt Baker is a sexual predator of young women.
To learn that he is, again, "teaching" and a youth minister is unbelievable! How many girls and young woman have to come forward with their stories, for the Baptist Church and the community to realize this man should be befind bars! Shame on those who are willing to put their children in harm's way!
Totally unbelievable!
Have you seen the news today? Matt has been indicted. Whoo-who!
Family Friend

Mcallen, TX

#11 Mar 25, 2009
Have you seen the news today? Matt has been indicted. Whoo-who!
Wacoan

Temple, TX

#12 Mar 26, 2009
I live in Waco and have followed this case closely.
I totally believe he is guilty and I have since I first heard it. I had the same thought as "a Kerrvillian2" about the death of the baby. Maybe it was part of his plan to make Kari's death appear to be a suicide. I see alot of his neighbors feel he is guilty.
old codger

Mcallen, TX

#13 Mar 28, 2009
brandi wilson wrote:
Sadly, this is what happens way too often in churchs. You can tell people and police when you are 13 years old "He tried to molest me...", and yet you see 15 years later he is still working with children in the church. And despite some allegations against the person and work and other places, it is "swept under the rug". Why is this? It is because there is no physical evidence to prove that this 13 year old girl, and other women and girls, is not lying. So because there are no charges against the man... there is no public records about the accusations and he is able to work around the children in his church.
The man I am speaking of, I have found out since I was 13, that he has molosted and harrassed many women and children (his own sons, daughter, grandkids and fostor kids) but those few that did come forward at work and me... there was no evidence. His kids or fostor daughter will not step up and tell police about it... I have begged them to. He is a sick man, his mother molested him as a child... he needs to be away from women and children. His wife also needs to step up and confess all she knows. When this happened to me, she called an apologized for what her husband did... she said, "He promised he wouldn't do it this time..." My parents went out of town and untrusted my caregiving to our close friends. Evidentally, his wife asked him not to molest me during my stay.
Sad.
Now that arrogant mother is raising the kids.
neighbor

Woodway, TX

#14 Apr 14, 2009
I lived down the street from Matt and Kari in Hewitt. Matt was arrogant and weirdly immature for a minister his age. Even after Kari died. We felt so sorry for him but when I approached him, he seemed bored with my sentiments for him and his girls. "We'll be fine" is all he said and changed the subject to talk about what our children were doing the next weekend. And that woman was at his house all the time just a week later. All hours. She was even at the oldest girls slumber party that same month. She had her head on his shoulder and he laid on the couch with his head in her lap. It freaked some of the girls out. That was what made me think Kari didn't die of her own will. Not kari's parents. it was all Matt. Glad to know people in Kerrville aren't as snowed as the Bakers would have us think.
BakerTrial

Katy, TX

#15 Apr 20, 2009
Author seeking info. If you knew Kari or Matt, please email [email protected] all inquiries/comments can remain confidential
Cynthia

Maitland, FL

#16 Apr 20, 2009
a Kerrvillian2 wrote:
That was one of the longest articles I've ever seen in a magazine ... well, I guess it had to be long since Preacher Baker has A LOT of explaining to try to do. So far, his excuses fall way short! First of all, his claim that his wife was so depressed that year, contradicts what her family said ... and why would she be so depressed - she still had two other children whom she loved. Preacher Baker's statement that "No one knows how bad she was" only hurts him ... because: why the hell didn't he say something to ANYONE about "how bad it was?" Why didn't he try talk to her family/friends/therapist about "how bad things were?? You know why - because, the truth is: she wasn't (her main issue to deal with was that she thought Preacher Baker was going to kill her). Second, this entire portrait Mr. Baker, his family, and his lawyer are trying to paint of them having the "perfect marriage" doesn't add up. He is not an attractive guy, and she was no swimsuit model, thus it only makes sense why he would use his clout as a preacher to prey on young girls (oh yeah ... they're ALL lying). Third, why did he make so many calls to a new young girl moments after his wife died? And, not to mention - why were they seen shopping for rings a week later?(Oh yeah ... they were looking for earrings for her little girl - not what the police affidavit says!) Can someone please interview his new fling, as well as the jewelry store clerk? Fourth, how many times has anyone who committed suicide taken the time to type a note? I want to know if Kari was known to type a lot ... if she really did type that note, then where's the computer she typed it on? Anyone could easily find out when that document was generated (oh yeah ... Mr. Baker got rid of the home computer - gave it to his parents in Kerrville, who then got rid of it - it's gone baby!) By the way, why didn't she at least sign the note? Why was the note so short? If someone with as many close friends and family members as she had, wouldn't she have wanted to say something to them before she checked out? Fifth, when did she find time to take all those pills that night? According to Mr. Baker, they all had just left the YMCA, then got home and drank wine coolers. If she had taken them at the YMCA, she would have for surely shown signs of being really sick - which begs the question of why Mr. Baker left her there at 11 pm to rent a movie (one that they've already seen) when she was throwing up? If anyone had taken that many pills, anyone would have known that she needed emergency help. Sixth, how did the crushed Ambien end up in Mr. Baker's brief case?(Oh yeah ... kids at the church put it there - how stupid does he think we are?) Seventh, why were there searches at web sites to buy more sleeping pills when Mr. Baker was "soooo worried" about the number of pills she supposedly was already taking? And the best for last: Eighth, who (other than Preacher Baker) would not say a word about their computer being stolen/lost from their office? Moreover, who would then attempt to steal a secretary's computer, and then label-it-up as to make it look like theirs??? Hummm ... this whole thing smells fishy, and when that happens, there's usually a rotten fish nearby. I think the detectives should investigate the death of Preacher Baker's daughter too!!
I have been following the Kari Baker case for quite some time.....
I I, as a mother, have been fighting a similar fight...a fight for justice in the suspicious death case of my son, Joshua.
Joshua was found dead in Amsler Park/McGregor on Feb. 16, 2006. McGregor PD did not investigate.
Four of the five officers, on scene, resigned simultaneously, for unknown reasons, in June, 2006.
www.americaiswatching.org (Joshua Robinson) attached documents, including a crime scene photo and statement that a still unknown patrol officer was the last person to see Josh alive in Amsler Park @1AM! Petition/comment.
observer

Mcallen, TX

#17 Apr 23, 2009
neighbor wrote:
I lived down the street from Matt and Kari in Hewitt. Matt was arrogant and weirdly immature for a minister his age. Even after Kari died. We felt so sorry for him but when I approached him, he seemed bored with my sentiments for him and his girls. "We'll be fine" is all he said and changed the subject to talk about what our children were doing the next weekend. And that woman was at his house all the time just a week later. All hours. She was even at the oldest girls slumber party that same month. She had her head on his shoulder and he laid on the couch with his head in her lap. It freaked some of the girls out. That was what made me think Kari didn't die of her own will. Not kari's parents. it was all Matt. Glad to know people in Kerrville aren't as snowed as the Bakers would have us think.
I just hope enough people will keep after this to get him convicted and put away where he can't menace anybody ever again.
Renea

Hilliard, OH

#18 Jun 10, 2009
I just watched 48 Hours Mystery on Matt Baker...all I can say is I hope he burns in hell for what he did to his wife.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) Dec 6 Steven Spencer 8,849
Where can I find a small piece of land to buy Dec 4 From The Hills 4
Miranda Williams/ camp gladiator mistress Dec 4 From The Hills 2
Erin Cantu (May '16) Nov 22 Scuba_steve 3
News Former Hubbard police officer sues city, allege... (Jan '09) Nov 12 PEk31982 29
Bonz aka Shelia Nov 12 Needit 1
Genesis custom works Oct '17 Damian 1

Waco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waco Mortgages