Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult?

For seven years, we've shared fence lines with members of Homestead Heritage on three sides of our land. Full Story
I lived to tell the truth

Jackson, NJ

#5661 Jan 21, 2013
[Yes, your neck must be quite strained from wearing all those "expert" hats that you wear. Wow!] LRH

Your mocking me for what I have suffered, and others has suffered at those elder’s hands comes through loud and clear LRH, regardless of your denials.

Through your silence to my question, you have answered it fully.

You, nor your loved ones will never subject themselves to the leadership of HH.
You will never place yourself in a situation where they will be LORD over your life. Ever.
Therefore you will never suffer what many have suffered in HH.

You are wise in your cautious approach towards this group.
Mountainrose

Waco, TX

#5662 Jan 21, 2013
32Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Mountain Rose. I can say my experience was similar to yours when I first met people in HH. I guess that is what drew me too them. They seem so friendly, having the life of the Lord..... God gave me faith when I was a young man, and honestly it was something that I have never experienced, or expected, not being raised in the church. It was another world that I didn't know existed..After attending and being baptist in "traditional" churches, I knew I wanted more than than the baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal or charismatic experience.
I searched, and eventually found the "fellowship" (it wasn't called HH when I was there)... Quite the experience, but don't get to close... You know, you can smile till your teeth or dry, but...then life goes on.... I would recommend that you and your husband just stay on the visitor's list...
Thank you for your comments. We have never considered doing anything but being on the visitor's list. I go with friends from my church to the musical programs at Easter and Christmas, and my husband and I have our friendship with some of the people who attend church there. We have been out there to eat several times and to visit the stores with their beautiful products. I have never and never will discuss their changing to Baptist, nor will they ever discuss my changing to their religion. They respect my right to worship as I please, and I do the same for them. One friend from HH came to my father-in-law's visitation at the funeral home in Bellmead on one very cold, snowy night, out of respect for us and for my in-laws, which was something that he certainly did not have to do. Another friend from HH came to his funeral, and we asked her to sit with us, as family. So we have a mutual respect and friendship, which we feel blessed to have. It's not like they are waiting to "pounce" on us--they are just our very good friends.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5666 Jan 24, 2013
I lived to tell the truth wrote:
[Yes, your neck must be quite strained from wearing all those "expert" hats that you wear. Wow!] LRH
Your mocking me for what I have suffered, and others has suffered at those elder’s hands comes through loud and clear LRH, regardless of your denials.
Through your silence to my question, you have answered it fully.
You, nor your loved ones will never subject themselves to the leadership of HH.
You will never place yourself in a situation where they will be LORD over your life. Ever.
Therefore you will never suffer what many have suffered in HH.
You are wise in your cautious approach towards this group.
What question are you referring to that I did not answer?

I have not mocked your "suffering", ILTTTT. What I HAVE taken issue with is your need to spread second hand stories that are not YOUR story when you have been gone from HH for 20+ years and live thousands of miles away from HH.

I also took issue with your claim that if a diabetic has PROPER care from a PROPER doctor that the patient always gets better.

I know that diabetics can die even in spite of good care. Diabetes and the conditions caused by it are a leading cause of death in the US. As I said, my mom ( if you could reach her now) and her doctor would both be very surprised to hear that diabetics can ALWAYS be cured with the RIGHT medicine.

You don't know me, and know nothing at all about me, so please refrain from assuming that you know what I would or would not do with regard to any church anywhere, including HH.

You are speculating about someone (me) whom you've never met, and somehow assuming that you can know what goes on in my own brain.

And for goodness sake, please refrain from passing judgement on me (calling me a hypocrite) based on your assumptions about me ( and about my private thoughts) which are made with exactly 0% knowledge of me or anything about me.

As I said before, go ahead and repeat your own story ad infinitum if you must. But your should not spread stories that you have no permission to spread - stories that are second, third, or fourth hand ( or just gleaned off of Facebook).

As I've said many times, spreading stories that aren't yours and that you heard around the internet or in chat rooms or on Facebook is... gossip.

I know you hate it when people call it that. But that is what it is, gossip.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5667 Jan 24, 2013
Mountainrose wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your comments. We have never considered doing anything but being on the visitor's list. I go with friends from my church to the musical programs at Easter and Christmas, and my husband and I have our friendship with some of the people who attend church there. We have been out there to eat several times and to visit the stores with their beautiful products. I have never and never will discuss their changing to Baptist, nor will they ever discuss my changing to their religion. They respect my right to worship as I please, and I do the same for them. One friend from HH came to my father-in-law's visitation at the funeral home in Bellmead on one very cold, snowy night, out of respect for us and for my in-laws, which was something that he certainly did not have to do. Another friend from HH came to his funeral, and we asked her to sit with us, as family. So we have a mutual respect and friendship, which we feel blessed to have. It's not like they are waiting to "pounce" on us--they are just our very good friends.
Mountain Rose -

Your descriptions of your friendship with HH folks are very similar to my own experiences. There has been consistent, loving friendship over many, many years.

Jackson, NJ

#5678 Jan 26, 2013
There has been so many deaths in HH for diseases that can be controlled.

THEY ALL DIED YOUNG IN HH.

And HH has no intention on giving up the ‘medical priesthood’ doctrine’ as it is evident these deaths continue there.

ARE YOU JOINING THEM? NO! You will not dare place yourself or your loved ones in a predicament that when you are ill, you will also be denied medical help.
Janice Alvear

Maceió, Brazil

#5679 Jan 26, 2013
I would say only those that once were associated with HH really KNOW what happens there...
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5680 Jan 26, 2013
And I would reply that there is almost always more than one side to any story.

So, any story told by just one side would need to be balanced by hearing the other side.

I've heard the other side of some of these stories.

It's not my story to tell, so I won't share it on here.

But as I said, there is definitely more than one side to many of these stories.

Jackson, NJ

#5683 Jan 27, 2013
Taking herbs for deadly diseases is what the 19th century did, because there was no medicine back then.

What is tragic is they have cures now available to them, but are not allowed to access them because Blair Adams wrote doctrines in the 1980’s forbidding us to go to doctor’s-unless the HH elder’s approved. If you have given all of your possessions and money to these men you do not have the means to obtain such medicine.

What is worse is they do not have their pain managed because they do not receive the medicine available to the public.

PSALM 90:
10 Our days may come to seventy years,
or eighty, if our strength endures;
yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow,
for they quickly pass, and we fly away.

The brothers and sisters I am speaking of never reached 70-80 years old.
That is the truth on what it is to live Blair’s doctrine’s.

I lived to tell the truth.

Jackson, NJ

#5684 Jan 27, 2013
LUKE 7:
21 At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. 22 So he replied to the messengers,“Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[a] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 23 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

These are the promises to those whom JESUS CHRIST IS LORD-not man.

Jackson, NJ

#5685 Jan 27, 2013
No one is holding the HH elder’s back in coming on this website to explain their actions as to why they decide to allow one saint to suffer, while allowing another saint-who happens to be close to them-to be treated by modern medicine.

No one.
Janice Alvear

Brazil

#5686 Jan 27, 2013
While you are right there is always another side to every story I am only saying those that lived there and were members would know far more than someone with friends there or someone just visiting. I would be the first to say that looking from the outside there are so many good things you can see and even being inside there are some good things...however each one has a story to tell...I especially chilled out at the screaming in the meetings and so much use of the name of God...I chilled out every time my mom told me NOT to tell something to the leaders...it doesn't matter now she is gone but once we were listening to live entertaintment in another country...just traditional things nothing that I saw wrong and sinful...she told me DO not ever mention this...along with other places and things...Why could I not tell my pastor I was having a nice time on a trip? I have been a missionary 45 years I do know right from wrong...and listening to native groups sing and do their little presentation was a part of the meal....that happened on several occasions...why would she tell me not to tell her room mate anything...why live such a secret life? Things like that begin to ring bells in my mind...lots of why's....However I am sure because I have never lived under someone wanting to know my every move it bothered me more than it would bother someone that would come from another type community....

I really like their arts and crafts. I admire many things and pray for them everyday to understand how to treat their people not visitors....they know how to treat visitors.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5701 Jan 29, 2013
Ms. Alvear -

I agree with your statement in theory - that those who have been "inside" HH would know more about HH than visitors.

At least, those who were inside 20 years ago might know more about HH as it existed 20 years ago, but they would not know any more than a visitor about what HH is like NOW.

Especially if they have not been on the "inside" in over 20 + years and live thousands of miles away from HH and don't have contact with anyone who is currently a member of HH.

Given that scenario, I would have to say that they might not know much about current HH - maybe not even as much as a visitor.

In fact, since there has apparently been no contact with current HH members, the only information they could have would be second hand or 20 years in the past.

But to claim some "insider" knowledge 20 years removed from any experience ( be it a restaurant, a church, or a school, or even a person) really stretches the bounds of common sense.

People, places, churches, and schools often change over 20 years, sometimes hardly bearing resemblance to their past selves.

I know my high school, my hometown, my college don't look anything at all like they looked 20 years ago.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5702 Jan 29, 2013
Even the church I attended 20 years ago looks nothing like it did 20 years ago.

The music is very different than 20 years ago, the people dress differently, the pastor is not the same, attendance has shrunk to less than half of what it was.

It looks very different than 20 years ago.
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5703 Jan 29, 2013
And I can guarantee you that (sadly) I look nothing like I did 20 years ago,
either!

I've got wrinkles, more fat, and less hair.

Such is the nature of time.

Jackson, NJ

#5712 Jan 30, 2013
The brother who passed away 9 months ago followed the HH elder’s instructions.

Another death in HH.

Brother Joe’s death did not happen a long time ago.

They continue to listen to the HH elders and they continue to die.

Why not come back to our LORD and Savior JESUS CHRIST?!

It IS better to trust in Jesus than to trust in man.

That is found in Holy Scriptures; it's a fact.

Jackson, NJ

#5713 Jan 30, 2013
PSALM 18:
8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in human beings.

Those HH elder's are NOT Jesus Christ in the flesh.

Jackson, NJ

#5714 Jan 30, 2013
PSALM 118:
8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in human beings.

Psalm 118.
Baaah

Austin, TX

#5739 Feb 5, 2013
Little Red Hen wrote:
And I would reply that there is almost always more than one side to any story.
So, any story told by just one side would need to be balanced by hearing the other side.
I've heard the other side of some of these stories.
It's not my story to tell, so I won't share it on here.
But as I said, there is definitely more than one side to many of these stories.
They won't say and they won't tell. They take the 'high road'.

This is because no leader was ever questioned inside the fence lines. This just isn't done normally.

Get used to it. Jesus put up with it. So can you, HH.
Baaah

Austin, TX

#5740 Feb 5, 2013
The refusal to confront or defend oneself online
has more to do with avoidance than any high road after all...

There are things they do not like made clear since in some ways they are a secret society. The Sunday Services hold many a personal rebuke which would not be refined enough for the general public...

the ones online who gloss over this have for the most part never been rebuked, and if they were they did not find it burdensome.

Without taking it personally, the issue remains as to whether or not these really are necessary regarding the extent and extremity they take this to...whether or not efficacious, whether or not productive...whether or not they are pentecostal screams beyond the pale...even annointed...even from the Spirit...even from the very will of YHWH.

We are not speaking of a pentecostal getting excited and yelling and jumping and rolling. We are speaking of the humiliation which is given for your own good. The chastisement for not seeing the mentor above you as your 'Lord'(although this metaphor is never used). For odd things which some one has decided is important.

The wrath of YHWH is a very potent force in HH. The contortions on the faces of leaders reflect this. Guess what. You can be obliterated like UZZA with no wrath at all shown. God did not contort His face when Uzza touched the Ark. He knew Uzza was just doing what he spontaneously thought was right.

Selah. If God wants to show me wrath, this is done in a flash. Don't take no drama at all. Amen.
Baaah

Austin, TX

#5741 Feb 5, 2013
And why do the general members put up with this dynamic?

Once in a while something supernatural happens and a rebuke is really of God...

The other thing is, no one really knows the hearts of their own brethren, and they assume the leaders are right in ALL their rebukes...

For the one to work they put up with the other nine, or 20 or whatever...

This is the way it is inside. Abuse? You tell me. It is what it is, as they say in the trenches.
Life ain't no piece of cake. Especially life in the HH fast lane.

One man or two may have the pentecostal gift. But it cannot be transferred or passed down. Took ten years to decide the one who was demoted don't really have the gift after all? Whoo hoo. I knew that from day one. And only some eight years later anyone owns up to it. And if the newby knew this from day one, then how spiritual can this dynamic be?

VERY spiritual?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Hair Snobz Feb 24 Yolonda Jackson 1
Review: Riverview Campground Feb 17 lenora 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Feb 16 Farts 779
Westboro Baptist Church heading to West for fir... (Apr '13) Feb 11 californio 31
anyone attend junior/high school 1979 Feb 9 rpneo 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Feb 4 Farts 614
seeking online slave Jan 31 mossy seaman 5
Waco Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Waco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:08 pm PST