Central's "no drop out" policy is a bad idea

Posted in the Waco Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just saying

London, KY

#1 Aug 20, 2012
ET is against kids dropping out. But if these kids disrupt, they might as well be somewhere else. For one thing, they need to GET RID of PASS and send the trouble makers to Belvue Alt. School.ET seems to think mainstreaming works. I read the article in the paper. ET seems to think he is doing the right thing. Mr. Gilliam didn't comment on this policy.

In the days of school safety concerns, if we allow anything with 2 legs into our schools, we are ASKING for trouble. And bright 8th graders go there for math classes 1st period..how about their safety when some thug goes off. You can't have every child in school no more than you can have every adult out of prison and into mainstream society.
what

Berea, KY

#2 Aug 20, 2012
Just what we need more trash out walking the streets all day looking for something to steal. I agree though, let them drop out. Then the next day ship their asses to Afghanistan.
Well

Richmond, KY

#3 Aug 20, 2012
If they want to drop out let them, but stipulate that they must immediately go to classes for a GED.
ole mule face

Berea, KY

#4 Aug 20, 2012
It's all about the Federal funding.
My thoughts

Richmond, KY

#5 Aug 20, 2012
As a parent of two, one grad and a current student, the transformation of Central from the prior admin to the current admin is night and day. Madison Central has improved so much...I guess that is the result of staff that cares.
just saying wrote:
ET is against kids dropping out. But if these kids disrupt, they might as well be somewhere else. For one thing, they need to GET RID of PASS and send the trouble makers to Belvue Alt. School.ET seems to think mainstreaming works. I read the article in the paper. ET seems to think he is doing the right thing. Mr. Gilliam didn't comment on this policy.
In the days of school safety concerns, if we allow anything with 2 legs into our schools, we are ASKING for trouble. And bright 8th graders go there for math classes 1st period..how about their safety when some thug goes off. You can't have every child in school no more than you can have every adult out of prison and into mainstream society.
kdr

Stanton, KY

#6 Aug 21, 2012
what wrote:
Just what we need more trash out walking the streets all day looking for something to steal. I agree though, let them drop out. Then the next day ship their asses to Afghanistan.
I agree, if they drop out send them to the Army. This town dont care about kids, we have crocked cops, an lawyers an judges. People that let there kids quit are not much parents, homeschool is no school. I know kids that got there GED, but probley bought it off the internet, an they are lazy kids, why get a ged because there to lazy to work. I know people that have slow kids but they baby them, an usually bigger than a bear,sit an eat all the time. They quit school an they walk around stealing off the working people. I guess they can do drugs an work for the police dept, turning people in, thats what this town is. I hope they pass a law they cant quit till there 18, that will put some stop to it. Richmond has nothing for older kids. I here about them crocked cops.
meow

London, KY

#7 Aug 21, 2012
ET has had his share of staff turnover. Kids are allowed to play with IPODS and cell phones during class. Hall roaming is an extra curricular activity. The problem is mainstreaming. Some of the content subjects should be optional...required only if they want to enter college. World History, certain science classes etc..After their freshman year, put them into hands on vocational classes. Teachers lack the ability to correct or remove disruptive students. ISS must come from a principal and most of them think these disruptors are losing instructional time-what a JOKE!! Students in the PASS program should be excused from certain core content subjects. Educational administrators are often out of touch with the classroom. They have pie in the sky attitudes thinking they can turn a thug into a model student. PASS students should lose privileges for skipping or misbehavior. Give them a fun movie on Friday if they earn it. These kids can misbehave all they want and NOTHING HAPPENS. Special ed. students can't be punished.Bring back BELVUE. Not just for court ordered students. Schools wonder why shootings occur when they allow everything with 2 legs to enroll without checking thier criminal background. Juveniles need a record when thy reach 16. If they are old enough to drive, they are old enough to have a RECORD!
please understand

Richmond, KY

#8 Aug 21, 2012
I realize that TOPIX is a forum for people to express their views and opinions. However, it is frustrating when people post uninformed opinions. The state places requirements for graduation so a school or principal cannot just exempt students from certain classes and send them to other classes. Times have changed and the needs of students have changed. With the changing needs of students, options and opportunities are being made available to all kinds of students. PASS students are not all problem students. PASS is a support system for students. So saying they should all have privileges taken away from them is a comment made by someone who doesn't understand the program or who isn't willing to build relationships with students to discover the issues or needs. It would be like saying every adult who has a bad day should be fired. Did you ever make a mistake? Did anyone ever give you a second chance? Did your parents come home at night and feed you? Did your parents provide a safe home and emphasize the importance of education? OR did your parents do drugs at home in front of you or ask you to drugs with them? Have you had to witness abuse in the home? Have you seen your parents arrested in front of you or witnessed domestic violence? Maybe you have, if so, wouldn't you have appreciated an adult at school to support you and help you through high school? Kids are still being held responsible for their actions when it calls for it.. As for ipods and cell phones.. When was the last time you left your cell phone at home??? What do you use your phone for? Maybe it can be used in the classroom? Just a thought .. Could it be an educational tool? Catch up with the times. Some may abuse the freedoms, how many times have you used your cell phone at work? QUOTE who="meow"]ET has had his share of staff turnover. Kids are allowed to play with IPODS and cell phones during class. Hall roaming is an extra curricular activity. The problem is mainstreaming. Some of the content subjects should be optional...required only if they want to enter college. World History, certain science classes etc..After their freshman year, put them into hands on vocational classes. Teachers lack the ability to correct or remove disruptive students. ISS must come from a principal and most of them think these disruptors are losing instructional time-what a JOKE!! Students in the PASS program should be excused from certain core content subjects. Educational administrators are often out of touch with the classroom. They have pie in the sky attitudes thinking they can turn a thug into a model student. PASS students should lose privileges for skipping or misbehavior. Give them a fun movie on Friday if they earn it. These kids can misbehave all they want and NOTHING HAPPENS. Special ed. students can't be punished.Bring back BELVUE. Not just for court ordered students. Schools wonder why shootings occur when they allow everything with 2 legs to enroll without checking thier criminal background. Juveniles need a record when thy reach 16. If they are old enough to drive, they are old enough to have a RECORD!
come on

London, KY

#9 Aug 21, 2012
These PASS kids can curse teachers, skip and they are right back in the classroom the next day.The point is we cannot excuse their behavior. Our safety is at stake. Why can't they open Belvue? The safety of the bright 8th grade math students is at issue. The principal can be a bully pulprit. But he doesn't want to offend anybody. Too nice. Too soft spoken. Good man. Too easy going.
come on

London, KY

#10 Aug 21, 2012
Why do people have to discuss YOU instead of the issues? WHEW
come on

London, KY

#11 Aug 21, 2012
PASS students are not all problem students. PASS is a support system for students. So saying they should all have privileges taken away from them is a comment made by someone who doesn't understand the program or who isn't willing to build relationships with students to discover the issues or needs
When they misbehave their privileges should be taken away. When they make farting sounds in class, curse teachers, skip etc. Why are they in PASS if they are good kids? Regular teachers cannot teach and be a mediator at the same time. Faculty stress is increasing. GET RID OF PASS.
knowing

Richmond, KY

#12 Aug 21, 2012
The original post and cats meow - more than likely same person. Odds are disgruntle staff or jealous parent. My two cents...students kill students when then don't feel loved or included. If the PASS program helps those who have shitty parents, then I am all for it.
please understand wrote:
I realize that TOPIX is a forum for people to express their views and opinions. However, it is frustrating when people post uninformed opinions. The state places requirements for graduation so a school or principal cannot just exempt students from certain classes and send them to other classes. Times have changed and the needs of students have changed. With the changing needs of students, options and opportunities are being made available to all kinds of students. PASS students are not all problem students. PASS is a support system for students. So saying they should all have privileges taken away from them is a comment made by someone who doesn't understand the program or who isn't willing to build relationships with students to discover the issues or needs. It would be like saying every adult who has a bad day should be fired. Did you ever make a mistake? Did anyone ever give you a second chance? Did your parents come home at night and feed you? Did your parents provide a safe home and emphasize the importance of education? OR did your parents do drugs at home in front of you or ask you to drugs with them? Have you had to witness abuse in the home? Have you seen your parents arrested in front of you or witnessed domestic violence? Maybe you have, if so, wouldn't you have appreciated an adult at school to support you and help you through high school? Kids are still being held responsible for their actions when it calls for it.. As for ipods and cell phones.. When was the last time you left your cell phone at home??? What do you use your phone for? Maybe it can be used in the classroom? Just a thought .. Could it be an educational tool? Catch up with the times. Some may abuse the freedoms, how many times have you used your cell phone at work? QUOTE who="meow"]ET has had his share of staff turnover. Kids are allowed to play with IPODS and cell phones during class. Hall roaming is an extra curricular activity. The problem is mainstreaming. Some of the content subjects should be optional...required only if they want to enter college. World History, certain science classes etc..After their freshman year, put them into hands on vocational classes. Teachers lack the ability to correct or remove disruptive students. ISS must come from a principal and most of them think these disruptors are losing instructional time-what a JOKE!! Students in the PASS program should be excused from certain core content subjects. Educational administrators are often out of touch with the classroom. They have pie in the sky attitudes thinking they can turn a thug into a model student. PASS students should lose privileges for skipping or misbehavior. Give them a fun movie on Friday if they earn it. These kids can misbehave all they want and NOTHING HAPPENS. Special ed. students can't be punished.Bring back BELVUE. Not just for court ordered students. Schools wonder why shootings occur when they allow everything with 2 legs to enroll without checking thier criminal background. Juveniles need a record when thy reach 16. If they are old enough to drive, they are old enough to have a RECORD!

Since: Dec 10

louisville, ky

#13 Aug 21, 2012
I have a daughter in mchs and my son is one of the 8th grades there for math and just as their safety is first at home, I expect the same from the school.providing the best possible learning environment for everyone.l say that have serving in the Army for 10 years with people who were told to go to the Army or go to jail was a great way for most who went in under those circumstances.whatever point they exit the military, you can believe they wount come back like they where when the left.
woah

Winchester, KY

#14 Aug 22, 2012
platinum plus wrote:
I have a daughter in mchs and my son is one of the 8th grades there for math and just as their safety is first at home, I expect the same from the school.providing the best possible learning environment for everyone.l say that have serving in the Army for 10 years with people who were told to go to the Army or go to jail was a great way for most who went in under those circumstances.whatever point they exit the military, you can believe they wount come back like they where when the left.
God damn your ugly /\./\
Educate yourself

Manchester, MI

#15 Aug 22, 2012
kdr wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, if they drop out send them to the Army. This town dont care about kids, we have crocked cops, an lawyers an judges. People that let there kids quit are not much parents, homeschool is no school. I know kids that got there GED, but probley bought it off the internet, an they are lazy kids, why get a ged because there to lazy to work. I know people that have slow kids but they baby them, an usually bigger than a bear,sit an eat all the time. They quit school an they walk around stealing off the working people. I guess they can do drugs an work for the police dept, turning people in, thats what this town is. I hope they pass a law they cant quit till there 18, that will put some stop to it. Richmond has nothing for older kids. I here about them crocked cops.
It's Crooked, not crocked. Did you drop out too?

Since: Dec 10

louisville, ky

#16 Aug 22, 2012
woah wrote:
<quoted text>
God damn your ugly /\./\
not here to impress you or anyone else...
meow

Kittanning, PA

#17 Aug 22, 2012
I am not crazy about these bright middle school students going to high school. A sophomore thug could jump one of them. The dress code sets them apart.
HAH

Richmond, KY

#19 Oct 30, 2012
Just because you drop out it doesnt makes you no less of a person. And by the way, you cant just BUY your G.E.D . It takes classes and hard work. Its just a faster way of graduating then high school.& Also if you notice on the G.E.D diploma it says " High School Equicalency Diploma" Which means its equivilent to a high school diploma . Just becasue someone drops out doesnt mean there lazy.They might have personal reasons to why they need to drop out.i just recently recieved my G.E.D & will be starting at EKU in the spring . Never judge someone because they do things diffrently then you. & My parents are not bad parents because they let me drop out. By them letting me do so i have my G.E.D & Will be starting college sooner than what i would have if i would have stayed in high school.So next time before you go insulting people who have dropped out and the parents of the students why dont you think twice. Your no better of a person then me because you finished high school.
Kempt

Manchester, KY

#20 Oct 30, 2012
I think 8th graders should stay at their middle schools. Those geek looking outfits make them stand out. And they have to use the restrooms with the older ones. Some of these shy bright kids might accept bullying without fighting back.
to tell the truth

Brookfield, WI

#21 Oct 30, 2012
When I went to school we didn't have PASS we had PADDLE and when it spoke to our butts we listened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min NTRPRNR1 153,482
Word Association (Jul '10) 15 min Jennifer Renee 19,070
Add a Word, Drop a Word (Sep '11) 17 min Jennifer Renee 17,173
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 18 min Kentucky 4,896
Police car chase in Richmond? 19 min --S-e-r-i-o-u-s-l... 124
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 19 min Jennifer Renee 28,678
New to town 26 min New IN Town 4
•••
•••
•••

Waco Jobs

•••
•••