Wabasha, Minn. / Teacher resigns over...

Wabasha, Minn. / Teacher resigns over pregnancy

There are 164 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 13, 2008, titled Wabasha, Minn. / Teacher resigns over pregnancy. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

An unmarried fifth-grade teacher at a Catholic school in Wabasha is out of a job because she got pregnant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Bob zemanski

New York, NY

#1 Feb 14, 2008
Very Christian of them.
JMoy

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2008
She signed the statement and since it is a private school, they can enforce the codes they wish. I think its actually consistant with thier teachings even though I disagree with making her quit.
Anoka Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 14, 2008
Although I was raised in the Catholic church, I grew to disagree with many of the teachings of the church. That is why I am no longer a member of the church. I have respect for the church's teachings, but I feel I would be lying to call myself a Catholic and then disagree with many of the teachings and tenets of the church. If you are not willing to accept the church laws, leave the church. I don't care much for the current Pope, but I do respect that he says it like it is - no mamby-pamby cafeteria Catholic stuff, these are the rules, if you want to call yourself Catholic, this is what you must believe and do.
Fehler

Duluth, MN

#5 Feb 14, 2008
She signed a statement, and she needs to abide by the wording of the statement.

However, the statement was exceptionally vague. "..set a good example as a Christian in her personal and academic life". If being a single parent is being a bad Christian, there are a hell of alot of bad Christians in those pews Sunday morning. If this is the criteria, then it should be backed up by a statement from the Archdiocese, and they sure as hell better not be seen enforcing it selectivly. That's grounds for a lawsuit. Because honestly, it looks like they were avoiding adding to health care costs and time off for maternity leave, and gussied it up with a "morals clause".
Lyla

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 14, 2008
Single, expecting, and out of work. Nice display of Christian love and compassion by the school, church, and Diocese. Makes me glad I'm a heathen Lutheran.
Victor

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Feb 14, 2008
Fehler wrote:
She signed a statement, and she needs to abide by the wording of the statement.
However, the statement was exceptionally vague. "..set a good example as a Christian in her personal and academic life". If being a single parent is being a bad Christian, there are a hell of alot of bad Christians in those pews Sunday morning. If this is the criteria, then it should be backed up by a statement from the Archdiocese, and they sure as hell better not be seen enforcing it selectivly. That's grounds for a lawsuit. Because honestly, it looks like they were avoiding adding to health care costs and time off for maternity leave, and gussied it up with a "morals clause".
Never thought about the health care costs, that may well be something that was considered. If the morals clause was a smoke screen or the "encouraged resignation" was excercised selectively, which would really be difficult to prove, that really would open a can of worms. You may have well hit it on the head.
Anoka Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 14, 2008
It wasn't that long ago in this country that even public schools had a "morals clause" in their teachers contracts. Teachers had to be single women (the classic schoolmarm), because married women could become pregnant, and that would raise unseemly questions from students. I'm glad we're well past that - my son has had two teachers who've become mothers during the school year, and it was a wonderful learning experience for him to follow the babies' growth and then see pictures of the newborns.

“whatalongstrange tripitsbeen ”

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#9 Feb 14, 2008
I don't see what the big deal is. I know a few catholics who have had children out of wedlock. Plus aren't christians all about forgiveness?
Jane

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 14, 2008
77deadhead wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is. I know a few catholics who have had children out of wedlock. Plus aren't christians all about forgiveness?
Some of the most judgmental people I've met are 'Christians'. The control freaks at this school have taken a good teacher away from her students. Maybe she should have gotten an abortion.
JMoy

United States

#11 Feb 14, 2008
I think people should remember, this is a private Catholic school. The parents choose to send their kids to school there and pay extra for it so if having stricter standards for teachers is what they want, then fine. Otherwise, don't enroll your kids there and the school would fold.
Steve

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 14, 2008
If every Catholic who “sinned” by having used the pill, a condom, had pre-marital sex, had an abortion, had multiple partners, had a “bi” experience, or forgive me father - ate meat on Friday was fired from their job and thrown out of the Catholic church nobody would be Catholic and half the people in the country would be unemployed.
IME back in the day, I always chose to date Catholic girls because they tended to want to sin a lot!

“Lets work to save the Earth!”

Since: Feb 08

Mankato, MN

#13 Feb 14, 2008
The Church considers premarital and casual sex “a sin,” as well as sex not performed for procreative purposes, hence its objection to birth control. Wonder if they fire all lay employees who engage in any of those behaviors, use birth control or, God-forbid, masturbate? One would assume the Church considers pedophilia “a sin,” but that didn’t stop its hierarchy from covering up decades of sinful and illegal pedophilia by priests by simply relocating the offenders to other parishes so they could continue their abuses.

Since its beginning, the Roman Catholic Church as been one of the most corrupt and hypocritical institutions the world has ever known. It continues that tradition today.
verner

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Feb 14, 2008
who's the father? yuck yuck
Fehler

Duluth, MN

#15 Feb 14, 2008
I'm wearing a poly-cotton blend. I need to be stoned, and fast.
DoveGirl

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 14, 2008
I left the church 15 years ago, but unlike most of the other posts who did so, I left for a more biblical faith. I strongly support the stance this particular school took - they are simply holding her accountable to uphold a contract. Why should the parents have to explain to their impressionable children? Her pregnancy came about from a relationship with a man who is not her husband. This is a sin, according to God.
Linda

Mankato, MN

#17 Feb 15, 2008
Steve wrote:
If every Catholic who “sinned” by having used the pill, a condom, had pre-marital sex, had an abortion, had multiple partners, had a “bi” experience, or forgive me father - ate meat on Friday was fired from their job and thrown out of the Catholic church nobody would be Catholic and half the people in the country would be unemployed.
IME back in the day, I always chose to date Catholic girls because they tended to want to sin a lot!
I find your post interesting. It is estimated that only 3% of the Catholic women (Age 18-44) acutally practice Catholic approved birth control. It used to be called the rhythm method. I believe they renamed this to natural birth control for the younger generation. Do you know what they call Catholics that practice the rhythm method of birth control? Catholics!
Linda

Mankato, MN

#18 Feb 15, 2008
Mankato Mike wrote:
The Church considers premarital and casual sex “a sin,” as well as sex not performed for procreative purposes, hence its objection to birth control. Wonder if they fire all lay employees who engage in any of those behaviors, use birth control or, God-forbid, masturbate? One would assume the Church considers pedophilia “a sin,” but that didn’t stop its hierarchy from covering up decades of sinful and illegal pedophilia by priests by simply relocating the offenders to other parishes so they could continue their abuses.
Since its beginning, the Roman Catholic Church as been one of the most corrupt and hypocritical institutions the world has ever known. It continues that tradition today.
Hello Mike. Corrupt? You bet. Thats why they need our money flowing to Rome. I think their priests and nuns need to consider their lifestyle. It does not look good that they live together. I often wondered what goes on behind closed doors. You tell me that priests don't engage in sexual pleasure? Give me a break, everyone masturbates!
Jennifer

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Feb 15, 2008
I did time at Catholic school for 4 years, ages 15-18. By 16 we were rolling up our skirts at the waist and showing serious leg and pissing off the nuns. We'd even go to mandatory mass on Fridays like that. It definitely puts the rebellious seed in you, and yeah, most of us turn out to either just be sluts or have slutaceous moments. As for me, well, I am game for anything. There was a lot of pot smoking, cigarettes and drinking at school and I would guess 90% of the people I knew who went to Catholic school were slutty, and 10% were virginal. I don’t think this teacher has any “moral” influence on the children.
Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Feb 15, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
There was a lot of pot smoking, cigarettes and drinking at school and I would guess 90% of the people I knew who went to Catholic school were slutty, and 10% were virginal.
We do not want you as part of our church! I pray that you someday will find your way back to the word.
Linda

Mankato, MN

#22 Feb 15, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not want you as part of our church! I pray that you someday will find your way back to the word.
Give me a break Joe. Here in Mankato the nuns closed the girls high school in the 70's because they were all sluts. About 10 years ago 3 girls got pregnant in their senior year at Lyola High School in Mankato. That was out of a class that had 15 girls and 17 boys. The parents justified this by saying it was a close knit group of kids in a small school. And guess what Joe, they all graduated with their class. Their peiest was in his glory at the graduation ceremony. And you say "We do not want you as part of our church!" Give me a break Joe!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wabasha Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man feels unwelcome at rural church he restored Jan '17 chacejen 1
News St. Paul / 1 dead, 3 injured in 2 shootings (Oct '07) Dec '15 boogit_08 10
Has anyone calle the police on you because they... (Apr '14) Jan '15 said in souther MN 2
Learn About Solar Tuesday, Jan 13th 11AM- 1PM ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 solarexperts 1
News Historic Anderson House in Wabasha closes (Mar '09) Oct '14 Vivalaleta 15
News Hells Angels, Outlaws motorcycle gangs brawl in... (Apr '10) Jul '14 noneya 151
News St. Paul to pay $124K to woman who tripped over... (Jun '14) Jun '14 PB in Saint Paul 1

Wabasha Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wabasha Mortgages