Riverbank Collapses Along the Wabash

Riverbank Collapses Along the Wabash

There are 8 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Apr 25, 2008, titled Riverbank Collapses Along the Wabash. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

A section of the Wabash Riverbank collapsed this week. Now, a family's house is in jeopardy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

Bree-T

United States

#1 Apr 25, 2008
wow I'd be terrified if I witnessed something like that.
Jake Kobeer

Catonsville, MD

#3 Apr 26, 2008
I would never live on the river in the first place, in fear of losing ground, as those people did.
-Dr. Jacob L. Kobeer,
Tyvan County Medical Examiner4286
stacy

United States

#4 Apr 26, 2008
they constucted the ground poorly?
CLEANUPtheRIVER

League City, TX

#5 Apr 27, 2008
I know that area of the Wabash very well. Those home are hundreds of feet up off the bank below. But,... anyone that has been out on the river year after year knows how the ole mighty Oubache can change her swagger. My family has a river cabin north of where this happend. What do we do to prevent the ground from giving way? CONCRETE! Just like the nieghbord had did. I feel for these people though and envy them at the same time.... in the sense that it's got to be amazing waking up to the great white-bottom-river in my back yard (yes, I know it's brown now but that's ALL our faults) one probably feels real vulnerable when you can't lay your head down at your own home.
CLEANUPtheRIVER

League City, TX

#6 Apr 27, 2008
Jake Kobeer wrote:
I would never live on the river in the first place, in fear of losing ground, as those people did.
-Dr. Jacob L. Kobeer,
Tyvan County Medical Examiner4286
Well Doc, you sound like a real esshole.
hey cleanup

United States

#7 Apr 28, 2008
put in your going out on the town tooth...snap up those suspenders....and get there and shore up that shack...actually, with that dirt floor you're probably beating a dead horse aren't you...
buddly

United States

#8 Apr 28, 2008
Dah, didn't we have an earthquake and several aftershocks?
go_go

Duncan, OK

#9 Jul 14, 2008
The problem with this particular property is, the old Erie Canal ran right through it and was "filled" back in the day. As physics would have it, the ground would give-way eventually. With the combination of the flooding and earthquakes, it was ineveitible. Drive through there one day. You can see it right from the river bridge on US 36 at Montezuma. Amazing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wabash Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gangs in Vincennes (Mar '07) 6 hr George 7
Honeywell Center - Wabash, IN Tue lewism92 1
wabash Oct 2 dang midget 1
Things You Can Remember About Peru (Apr '08) Sep 23 PeruBoy 192
News Woman arrested after infant tests positive for ... Sep 20 what 1
News Wabash woman charged after 6-week-old tests pos... Sep 19 resident 1
wabash Sep '17 resident 1

Wabash Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance