Firefighters praised for saving businesses

Jul 12, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Monroe County Advocate

Just days after a fire brought down a landmark building in Sweetwater, many city officials, citizens and business owners are praising firefighters for saving in effect, much of the downtown.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jul 21, 2010
What

Lenoir City, TN

#1 Jul 13, 2010
You guys at the Advocate is in Sweetwater Cities pocket.You got to be kidding .The Dept Heads are arrogant know it alls and you guys are afraid to say anything.I praise the firefighters but should have never been put in that sitiuation. There is plenty of things that are not being brought out i think its time for another paper to print news no matter how politics are.A ladies business burned to ground right in the middle of town because she was ignored and now we praise because the whole town didn burn. WOW
Unfortunate loss

Smyrna, TN

#2 Jul 14, 2010
I agree with the praise given to the firefighters. I also believe the City of Sweetwater and the fireworks company needs to take responsibility for the fire. I don't see how Dept heads in Sweetwater can say they are not responsible. They contracted / or allowed the fireworks that apparently caused the fire. Of course they are responsible.
What wrote:
You guys at the Advocate is in Sweetwater Cities pocket.You got to be kidding .The Dept Heads are arrogant know it alls and you guys are afraid to say anything.I praise the firefighters but should have never been put in that sitiuation. There is plenty of things that are not being brought out i think its time for another paper to print news no matter how politics are.A ladies business burned to ground right in the middle of town because she was ignored and now we praise because the whole town didn burn. WOW
Take Notice

Eyota, MN

#3 Jul 15, 2010
I agree with Unfortunate & What. Let me add that the public should be made aware that the fire chief has no TRAINING or CERTIFICATION to hold that position even though the job description stated a certified fire fighter was a requirement to be hired. In talking to some volunteers from departments that responded in aid of the City Fire Department, they say there was no communication or incident commander at the scene from the fire department. Instead, the Police Chief was trying to command a fire scene. Not only could the surrounding area have caught fire, firefighters could have been injured or their lives lost because of lack of an experienced and TRAINED chief. Why the city commission hired this untrained/unskilled person is beyond comprehension. The location where the display was put would have never been approved by the former fire chief, who was FIRED because he did not properly communicate with the city commission. The location of the display did not meet the requirements for the fireworks permit from what we've heard.
Will any newspaper or publication ever investigate this? Probably not. Like it was said, the Advocate-Democrat is in the pocket of the city commission - the Good Old Boys.
Will the fire chief be FIRED because of this horrible incident? Of course not.
I hope the building owner sues the city for everything she can. Then maybe when our taxes are raised to cover an insurance deductible and increased premiums because of her claim, the citizens of Sweetwater will open their eyes and get rid of the good old boys on the commission. We can only hope!
one more thing

Athens, TN

#4 Jul 15, 2010
Everyone is thinking it so I will say it. Doug Watson is an idiot.
The city is an idiot for giving him the job.
Yeah Buddy

United States

#5 Jul 16, 2010
one more thing wrote:
Everyone is thinking it so I will say it. Doug Watson is an idiot.
The city is an idiot for giving him the job.
I totally agree. Why do the people of Sweetwater bury their heads in the sand when the City does idiotic things like this? Where is the outrage? We need to be down at City Hall screaming that he be fired before another terrible thing happens because of this idiot!
The City should be primarily responsible because they approved the area where the fireworks were shot off from. But the mayor is pointing the figure at the fireworks guy. What an embarassment he is too!
Billy Roach

Vonore, TN

#7 Jul 18, 2010
whatever wrote:
If downtown had burned it would have been no big loss.
The town is too stagnant for any serious business and all it does is congest traffic trying to pass through.
Eventhough I do not live in Sweetwater, I feel that if the downtown had burned, it would have been a tragic loss to the community. Downtown Sweetwater is historic; you never want to lose a part of history because once it is gone, it is gone forever.
Right

United States

#8 Jul 18, 2010
Billy Roach wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventhough I do not live in Sweetwater, I feel that if the downtown had burned, it would have been a tragic loss to the community. Downtown Sweetwater is historic; you never want to lose a part of history because once it is gone, it is gone forever.
Of course it's hisdtoric and the government should spend millions restoring and protecting it like they have done elsewhere. Did any of you ever hear of that historic metal shed in one southern city that was restored with a grant of over $100,000, because it had housed the first black business venture in the area? We have a lot of those kind of valuable places in this country,
Thats right

Lenoir City, TN

#9 Jul 18, 2010
when will the good ole boy network ever get in check.There are city department heads that have people under them that know ten times about the job then they do.Its just who you know. The city has more thefts ,burglaries ever.But we will have a national night out and that will take care of it for the news paper.That is how they get your mind off what really is going on.It is simple (yea Buddy) they bury their heads in the sand because they are scared to say anything.Time for a whole new commission.!This town reminds you of some duke of hazard movie.Then we get mad when the real media or movies makes us out to be fools and rednecks. Iread where watson (fire chief)said fireworks cant be ruled out but we will never know if the fire was started by fireworks or not .Sounds like a liability statement to me.YOU dont think he would get up there and say the fireworks for sure started it .
meister

Nashville, TN

#10 Jul 21, 2010
Fire fighters and law enforcement officers have my utmost respect. Having been a deputy in the late 70s early 80s I appreciate the sacrifice these men and women make. My hat off to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vonore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 12 min WTSenior 146,201
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 6 hr Snowball 9,332
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 22 hr Average 8,619
Review: The Key Lime Cafe Aug 30 Okz 5
8 to 80 Aug 30 Do you need a gun 2
Rural/Metro sues Lenoir City over contractRural... Aug 28 ldh 17
Monroe County sheriff-elect takes oath of office Aug 28 Real News 1
•••
•••
Vonore Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Vonore Jobs