Sentencing Postponed In Panus Case

Sentencing Postponed In Panus Case

There are 22 comments on the The Day story from Jun 12, 2007, titled Sentencing Postponed In Panus Case. In it, The Day reports that:

“We're looking at what is in the best interest of our family and Richard's legacy”

The sentencing of a Voluntown man convicted of manslaughter in the February 2005 death of Richard Lee Bronson has been postponed while the defense team of Michael D. Panus attempts to convince the court to ... via The Day

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Day.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anonymous

New York, NY

#1 Jun 23, 2007
I think that initially everyone thinks mr.panus should go to jail, but everyone makes mistakes. i understand that someone lost their life, but is jail the answer for a college educated man, previously in the marines, with an otherwise clean record? what if this was your loved one or friend who made that one mistake? isnt it punishment enough to live with the tragedy itself? Jail is not the answer for this man!
Tina

United States

#2 Jul 16, 2007
I know Mike Panus,and obviously he has made a very tragic error in judgement. I am also a mother and can try to put myself in Richards parents shoes. There is no ruling that can change the past. The ruling will only affect Mike's future. He is a good person who has a bright future ahead. It seems to me that the way Mike can honor Richard's memory is to personally educate young people about drunk driving. I think he would make an impact and save countless other families from this awful tragedy. Mike is not a criminal at heart and does not belong in jail, that would only cause more heartache. Let the healing begin.
bluemoon 3

Groton, CT

#3 Jul 19, 2007
Mikes tragic error in judgement, left a family without a son , grandson, brother, uncle and a father.
I am a mother myself and I understand that Mike going to jail will not bring this man back. BUT please..... Mike made that choice when he got behind the wheel.. And this familys hopes and dreams of a future is gone.

I agree that Mike will live with this for the rest of his life.
although a close friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver and the guy served 6 months in jail then was spotted at a local bar within a few months of his release. I know I sound bitter... but I should be.... Friend or no friend He did the crime, now do the time... and save our tax dollars from being wasted in the court system.
christina

Groton, CT

#4 Jul 19, 2007
If this Mike guy was so educated why did he get behind the wheel drunk?

I think Mike should educate people , behind bars. He would be a good role model.( huh tina)

kind of like Paris Hilton.

maybe only the drop outs should be sent to jail for drunk driving.( huh ny )

I agree with bluemoon 3 do the time.

I dont care what kind of education you have or what your status is or how many friends you have or how much money you make a year.
THIS GUYS LIFE MIKE TOOK IS OVER, and WE PAY A PRICE FOR EVERYTHING.
Anonymous

Germany

#5 Jul 23, 2007
There is only bitterness about your words Christina. Only saving lifes in the future can compensate somehow what happened on that day. I think that you don´t know, no one knows, how it feels to be in Mikes situation as well. He made a horrible mistake, he knows, he suffers and he will always suffer. Don´t forget that Richard was a friend, they all decided to do what happened that night. Everybodies guilty here. But what good is it to lock somebody up and watch all the other ones kill themselves while he could be out there and make a shouting example. How many young guys stopped after this has happened? How many people do you know around you that drive sober? I bet you know the answers. It´s time for EVERYBODY to step up and admit the mistakes.
christina wrote:
If this Mike guy was so educated why did he get behind the wheel drunk?
I think Mike should educate people , behind bars. He would be a good role model.( huh tina)
kind of like Paris Hilton.
maybe only the drop outs should be sent to jail for drunk driving.( huh ny )
I agree with bluemoon 3 do the time.
I dont care what kind of education you have or what your status is or how many friends you have or how much money you make a year.
THIS GUYS LIFE MIKE TOOK IS OVER, and WE PAY A PRICE FOR EVERYTHING.
FLIRTING WITH DISASTER

Groton, CT

#6 Jul 23, 2007
TO ANONYMOUS, IT is time for everybody to pay for there mistakes. I realize that they were friends but richards didnt drive! that makes a HUGH difference. Panus drove and hit that tree now he will serve a short time.... for a life ... go figure!!!! I think he got off pretty easy.
bluemoon3

Groton, CT

#7 Jul 23, 2007
Oh, stop whinning and send him a few extra tissues in his care package.

If that was your family member who was in the car you would be singing a different tune.

or maybe you wouldnt !!!

How is EVERYBODY guilty here? DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED IS AGAINST THE LAW..... BEING A PASSENGER WHILE INTOXICATED IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW.... BY THE WAY PANUS WAS TWICE THE LEGAL LIMIT...
LOCK HIM UP AND THEN MAKE HIM A SPEAKER AT WHERE EVER IT IS THAT YOU THINK HE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
MIKE WILL NOT SUFFER ANYMORE THEN THE FAMILY WHO LOST A SON .
bluemoon2

Groton, CT

#8 Jul 24, 2007
can i ask, what is going on here? did i miss something? im sorry for not knowing what you guys are talking about. please fill me in
uconnfan

Madisonville, LA

#9 Jul 24, 2007
best thing to read up on is the exerpts from theday.com .. here is the link
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx...

Basically..everyone talks about how it was Richards decision to get in that car..a conscious decision. And everyone really thinks that his mother showed no "class" with her comments to Michael. Michael will be out in his first chance of parole doing the world he will be living in good things.
uconnfan

Madisonville, LA

#10 Jul 24, 2007
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx...

read the comments on this link.. two individuals made a conscious decision to get in the car that night..Richards mother's class really showed in the courtroom as well. oh well
christina

Groton, CT

#11 Jul 28, 2007
Dear Anonymous,

Well, I think my point come across...
I think you must be the girlfriend of Mr. P or something because your getting pretty upset about the man who CAN today tell his side of the story.
Am sure that Mr. Panus is very troubled about this accident and am sure that he would take back that horrible night, in a heart beat... But the point is he cant and he knew that getting in to the car.

As a 21 year old ,I think that am pretty young, but old enough to know better.

I have one child and just by the way i see You write things am sure you must not have any kids. one because you perspective would be total different....

So let me ask u something,
Am a college student in CT, am going for nursing. I also have a One year old child. So say one night on my birthday i go out for the just one night( in along time).I also have a great record not even a speeding ticket( thank god!) So I have a few to many drinks right and i accidentally seriously hurt(or even worst) someone in your family are u still going to preach the same thing?????

So do would u then think because am young with a young child, in school for nursing that I should be let free? Yea right!!

Remember the things you say, or do, ALWAYS comes back at you.. so watch what u answer!

By the way can You highlight the part WHERE I SAID I KNOW ALL THE ANSWERS? nO YOU CAN'T BECAUSE I NEVER SAID I did know all the answers!!!!!!!

so am getting tried of writing to an ignorant person who thinks that only she right..

But let me ask u one more thing Anonymous are you afraid of putting your name on the screen because am not. I think that u shouldn't put your real name because the mother of the child wouldn't HAVE YOU ON HER BUDDY LIST IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!!!!!

SO all check back to see what u write Mrs. P!!
bluemoon3

Groton, CT

#12 Jul 30, 2007
YOU GO GIRL LOL ....... I THINK YOUR ( I )
BUTTON IS BROKE LOL
bluemoon3

Groton, CT

#13 Jul 30, 2007
YOU GO GIRL I THINK YOUR ( I ) BUTTON IS BROKE!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Tina

United States

#14 Aug 7, 2007
christina wrote:
Dear Anonymous,
Well, I think my point come across...
I think you must be the girlfriend of Mr. P or something because your getting pretty upset about the man who CAN today tell his side of the story.
Am sure that Mr. Panus is very troubled about this accident and am sure that he would take back that horrible night, in a heart beat... But the point is he cant and he knew that getting in to the car.
As a 21 year old ,I think that am pretty young, but old enough to know better.
I have one child and just by the way i see You write things am sure you must not have any kids. one because you perspective would be total different....
So let me ask u something,
Am a college student in CT, am going for nursing. I also have a One year old child. So say one night on my birthday i go out for the just one night( in along time).I also have a great record not even a speeding ticket( thank god!) So I have a few to many drinks right and i accidentally seriously hurt(or even worst) someone in your family are u still going to preach the same thing?????
So do would u then think because am young with a young child, in school for nursing that I should be let free? Yea right!!
Remember the things you say, or do, ALWAYS comes back at you.. so watch what u answer!
By the way can You highlight the part WHERE I SAID I KNOW ALL THE ANSWERS? nO YOU CAN'T BECAUSE I NEVER SAID I did know all the answers!!!!!!!
so am getting tried of writing to an ignorant person who thinks that only she right..
But let me ask u one more thing Anonymous are you afraid of putting your name on the screen because am not. I think that u shouldn't put your real name because the mother of the child wouldn't HAVE YOU ON HER BUDDY LIST IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!!!!!
SO all check back to see what u write Mrs. P!!
You do in fact sound very bitter, you must have a personal stake in this tragedy. I had to respond when I read your comment, because I am a mom myself. As a friend of Mike's I've thought very deeply about this situation and where I stand on Mike's appropriate punishment. This situation is horrible all around. Obviously this must be unbearable for Richard's family, I do not know them but my prayers are with them. I would never be disrespectful and speculate on how his mother feels. On the other side of the coin there is Mike. I have tried to put myself not only in Mike's shoes but in Mike's mom's shoes as well. As a mom I imagine she is suffering as well. I would never want to see my son sent to jail with a bunch of INTENTIONAL criminals. Mike's intention that night was not to take someones life. He was drunk and careless, but not evil at heart. I understand that at least Mike will have a future and tragicly Richard will not, but what kind of quality of life do you really think he will have when he gets out? A life full of pain and regret that may prevent him from finding true happiness. This will be anything but easy for him.
Make no mistake, I'm not saying he should not suffer consequences, he has to. What is the appropriate punishment? It is not my place to decide, only God himself should be the judge. I do know that a lot of people have changed their lifestyles because of this tragedy. For myself personally, it has made me a better mother, wife, and friend. I'm not a drinker, but it has helped me appreciate my loved ones and caused me to always be preaching about the horrors of drunk driving.
My point is only that this whole horrific event is out of all of our hands now. Our life experiences will cause us to have an opinion but all we can do is go on and try to be better people. We should all be more responsible and kinder to eachother. That is how I plan to honor Richards memory.
christina

Groton, CT

#15 Aug 8, 2007
First of all I wrote this to Anonymous! not dear Tina....

But TINA,
And I do agree that only the lord JESUS CHRIST (if thats your god as well) himself, will judge him on HIS JUDGMENT DAY....

But mikes judgment day was not that day.....

And he no matter what relationship he had with this person,does means he should get a slap on the wrist, SENT HOME....WITH the regret ON HIS MIND everyday?
THINK ABOUT IT....
That will be all over the news that a man killed his friend, and got off!!!!

Now you your self KNOW that there not going to tell the part where he will remorseful everyday. NO they will just tell the bad partS and then.. What do you will think will happen?(i THINK THAT LOOKING AT HISTORY ON NEWS WITH SCHOOL SHOOTINGS THAT PEOPLE HEAR THINGS ON THE AND START ACTING ON THEM..)

What kind of example does that set? He could and maybe will receive such easy ofF because of people like you on the Jury.

sO SAY THEY WERE NOT FRIENDS WOULD YOU SAY STILL SAY AM BITTER, AND THAT I MUST HAVE HAD a personal stake in this tragedy?

TINA FROM SOMEWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ARE YOU ALSO aNoNyMouS, BECAUSE YOU SEEM TO SAY THE SAME THING?

cHRISTINA FROM GROTON cT
brian

Chicago, IL

#16 Aug 8, 2007
anonymous wrote:
I think that initially everyone thinks mr.panus should go to jail, but everyone makes mistakes. i understand that someone lost their life, but is jail the answer for a college educated man, previously in the marines, with an otherwise clean record? what if this was your loved one or friend who made that one mistake? isnt it punishment enough to live with the tragedy itself? Jail is not the answer for this man!
no
Tina

United States

#17 Aug 8, 2007
christina wrote:
First of all I wrote this to Anonymous! not dear Tina....
But TINA,
And I do agree that only the lord JESUS CHRIST (if thats your god as well) himself, will judge him on HIS JUDGMENT DAY....
But mikes judgment day was not that day.....
And he no matter what relationship he had with this person,does means he should get a slap on the wrist, SENT HOME....WITH the regret ON HIS MIND everyday?
THINK ABOUT IT....
That will be all over the news that a man killed his friend, and got off!!!!
Now you your self KNOW that there not going to tell the part where he will remorseful everyday. NO they will just tell the bad partS and then.. What do you will think will happen?(i THINK THAT LOOKING AT HISTORY ON NEWS WITH SCHOOL SHOOTINGS THAT PEOPLE HEAR THINGS ON THE AND START ACTING ON THEM..)
What kind of example does that set? He could and maybe will receive such easy ofF because of people like you on the Jury.
sO SAY THEY WERE NOT FRIENDS WOULD YOU SAY STILL SAY AM BITTER, AND THAT I MUST HAVE HAD a personal stake in this tragedy?
TINA FROM SOMEWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ARE YOU ALSO aNoNyMouS, BECAUSE YOU SEEM TO SAY THE SAME THING?
cHRISTINA FROM GROTON cT
Okay Christina, you obviously misunderstood what I was trying to say. And yes I know you were writing to "anonymous", but being that this is a public forum I have every right to state MY OPINION! Don't forget that everything you have written is YOUR OPINION. I didn't say anything in my comment about the boys friendship having anything to do with the appropriate punishment. If it had been a complete stranger that had lost his life I'm sure Mike would be just as remorseful. I do think jail time is warrented, I was just saying (as a mom) that it must also be difficult for Mike's mom as well. And before you speculate, obviously Mike's moms grief does not measure up to Richard's families, not even close. If you are bitter I understand, this is an awful situation. My intention was only to lend another point of view.
christina

Groton, CT

#18 Aug 11, 2007
well tina am getting tired of you switching my words around. so u must not be as well educated as the man you keep defending. So as i can see this will never end with you until everyone agrees with you.. And personally a i have a lot of medical terminology, to study and don't have time to play with you and childish ways.i have a kid for that, so instead of writing me go spend that time with you kid... you know since your a mom and all.
bluemoon3

Groton, CT

#19 Aug 12, 2007
Friends of this guy will never see that he was at fault.
Although he did KILL someone ( with OUT intention... what a joke )
He without a doubt should serve time.

Some people in jail didnt INTENTIONALY mean to sell coke, pot, crack or dust to the under cover police either.. but they are serving time for it. HEY I HAVE AN IDEA MAYBE WE SHOULD WRITE TO CONGRESS AND ASK THEM TO PASS A BILL,... TO SEPERATE THE INTENTIONAL CONVICTS FROM THE NON INTENTIONAL CONVICTS SO THAT THE NON INTENTIONAL CONVICTS CAN BE SAFE
WHEN THEY DROP THE SOAP....
Andy

United States

#20 Nov 8, 2007
I am curious what ended up happening in this case?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Voluntown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fires May 7 Bill Zavistoski 1
News 24-year-old arrested in Plainfield drug bust, m... Mar '17 Dr Pendyke 1
News Fianc e searching for missing Lisbon man more t... Feb '17 I gloria hagstrom 1
News Boyfriend: Woman Found Dead In Road Jumped Out ... (Jul '08) Nov '16 Copy 71
News Haunted Places: Hell Hollow Road (Mar '08) Sep '16 cacplanor 26
you will (Dec '15) Aug '16 missusa 2
News Jewett City man recognized for his selfless mis... (Jun '08) Aug '16 Brother 32

Voluntown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Voluntown Mortgages