'Extreme Makeover' Family Enjoying 3,...

'Extreme Makeover' Family Enjoying 3,200-Square-Foot Castle

There are 45 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 11, 2009, titled 'Extreme Makeover' Family Enjoying 3,200-Square-Foot Castle. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

When Carol Girard was asked what style house she might like from the ABC television show " Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ," she mentioned a colonial, a farmhouse or perhaps a Victorian.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Linny

Eugene, OR

#45 Feb 18, 2009
Why did ya take my other comment off? Truth hurts???!!!!!
Cheryl Flournoy

Saint Louis, MO

#47 Apr 19, 2009
I live in Idaho and I watched the show this evening. I was so sad to learn that they lost a father and a son. I know how much it hurts to loose a loved one so soon before their time, and their loss will never be overcome. They can think of the good times they shared together and forever live in their hearts. God Bless you Girard Family. Enjoy your new home.
Cheryl Flournoy

Saint Louis, MO

#48 Apr 19, 2009
Good for them wrote:
I am happy for them that they have received some much needed help.
I take exception though to the logic behind such a large home, this will absolutely become a hardship once the tax bills start arriving.
Would they be any less happy in a well appointed practical home? This situation, the show, the home and the why are very telling of the situation our country is in right now. It is indicative of the overconsumption, over borrowing, and gratuitious luxury that is the badge of having made it for so many.
Because one can afford to do something does not mean it is wise or prudent to do so. This depression will hopefully recalibrate everyones value system and perhaps instill the truth that less is really more.
Before you jump on me, yes I am educated, am fortunate to have a good job by anyones standards, and live with my family in a tiny little home on a hill deep in the woods on a large chunk of land. It is our castle.
I would think that paying taxes rather than a mortgage payment would be better.....
Jeff

United States

#49 Apr 22, 2009
There are always people who see the glass as half empty. Voluntown has low taxes already and the house is solar powered.
Great Place wrote:
I am sorry for the circumstances but this is a great house.
It would be even nicer if the town reduced her property taxes to a manageable level.
Funny how the Courant never mentions how much the tax and energy bills are. The Courant doesn't want everyone to know what a drag the State really is on it's residents.
Democrats are calling for higher taxes, how will the homeowners be effected?
Enjoy.....

Since: May 09

Philadelphia, PA

#50 May 24, 2009
I really would like to know where the funds for a project like this comes from? Also, what kind of burden is left on the family the house was built for

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Voluntown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fires May '17 Bill Zavistoski 1
News 24-year-old arrested in Plainfield drug bust, m... Mar '17 Dr Pendyke 1
News Fianc e searching for missing Lisbon man more t... Feb '17 I gloria hagstrom 1
News Boyfriend: Woman Found Dead In Road Jumped Out ... (Jul '08) Nov '16 Copy 71
News Haunted Places: Hell Hollow Road (Mar '08) Sep '16 cacplanor 26
you will (Dec '15) Aug '16 missusa 2
News Jewett City man recognized for his selfless mis... (Jun '08) Aug '16 Brother 32

Voluntown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Voluntown Mortgages