I remember in Newport News

Since: Jun 08

Mt. Pleasant, NC

#2333 Dec 14, 2010
I've been away from this thread for two and a half years. I just spent an evening catching up. I went to FHS, class of 72 but was bussed to WHS for the senior year. I feel for everyone who was caught in that circumstance, regardless of the schools involved. Aside from band, I wasn't at all active in school activities at Warwick. Mr. Smith wasn't much interested in doing the marching or concert bands. I think losing the Brigadier and Bagpipe corps broke his heart.

We in the percussion section clandestinely answered the Winchester invitation and prepared to attend as a drum corp. Smith found out at the last minute and scuttled our plans. We tried again for the big Hampton parade. We spirited away uniforms hidden in drum cases. The next day we stole the drums!

Well, Mr. Smith caught on again, but we convinced him to come along and "legitimize" our entry. He donned his marching uniform and was with us the whole way, step for step. We were concerned that the parade group registered us as a drum an bugle corps (which we weren't) which placed us in competition with the Young Americans Drum & Bugle Corp (which we dreaded.) We wound up beating them for first place! We had a ball celebrating at the Hardees on J Clyde Morris afterward. This was in early 1972.

Old Wrestler, we were both born the same year in the old Riverside on 50th St. The closest we came to crossing paths was when I delivered the Daily Press in your neighborhood in '68 and '69. I didn't deliver to your house that I remember. Maybe your folks were Times Herald people!
Old Wrestler

Upperville, VA

#2334 Dec 16, 2010
Steve FHS 72 wrote:
Old Wrestler, we were both born the same year in the old Riverside on 50th St. The closest we came to crossing paths was when I delivered the Daily Press in your neighborhood in '68 and '69. I didn't deliver to your house that I remember. Maybe your folks were Times Herald people!
Steve, Yes we were "Times Herald people"! Dad got the evening paper until they discontinued it and he was forced to get the Daily Press.
Anonymous

Woodbridge, VA

#2335 Jan 14, 2011
Gone South wrote:
Anyone remember the big slide at the traffic circle near Newmarket South (then just Newmarket) Shopping Center?
Anyone know why it closed?
I remember the big slide, wow I had forgot about that.
Gone South

United States

#2336 Jan 14, 2011
JoanneP,

Remember the burlap bags they had you slide in?

I was pretty young and my Dad used to put me in the bag in front of him and slide down with me. What I wouldn't have paid to see him sliding down that slide after I'd grown up. LOL
Gone South

United States

#2337 Jan 14, 2011
Oh, and the best part about Dad taking me to the slide was going to the Whataburger afterwards!
Katie

Greenville, SC

#2338 Jan 16, 2011
Choice wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! what a mind bender! I forgot all about this band HA! Remember sierra?
Remember Sierra very well. Great local cover band in the early 80's. Played Castaways, Horne's, clubs in Norfolk (The Brass Rail)and Virginia Beach. They even toured Canada twice. Scott Saylor played drums, Chris Sokol played guitar, Russ Porter was on bass, and Tony Cicero played the keyboard and flute. Over the years some other fellows played with them, Richard from JD Black and Bobby Sutton from Home Grown. Sadly we lost both Scott and Chris in 2000.
Katie

Greenville, SC

#2339 Jan 16, 2011
Jessica wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be awesome!! His name is Mark Lathrop... He was really close with Scott who passed a while back..
Still looking for a photo of the logo. I have one. Have a picture two of Scott and Russ also.
Anonymous

Woodbridge, VA

#2340 Feb 9, 2011
Gone South wrote:
JoanneP,
Remember the burlap bags they had you slide in?
I was pretty young and my Dad used to put me in the bag in front of him and slide down with me. What I wouldn't have paid to see him sliding down that slide after I'd grown up. LOL
Yes i do remember the burlap bags. That slide was the first real ride we had except buckroe. Of course ocean view but i didn't go there until I was a teen and my girlfriend and I went there alot. Remember Shakey's pizza on jefferson right across from beaconsdale shopping center? First pizza place.
Anonymous

Woodbridge, VA

#2341 Feb 9, 2011
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Still looking for a photo of the logo. I have one. Have a picture two of Scott and Russ also.
A Mark Lathrop lived down the street from me. wonder if it's the same one? His dad still lives there and he plays music. Just wondering
Old Wrestler

Upperville, VA

#2342 Feb 9, 2011
JoanneP wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Shakey's pizza on jefferson right across from beaconsdale shopping center? First pizza place.
That Shakey's was a regular hangout for my circle of friends circa 1975.
bossmanbo

United States

#2343 Feb 10, 2011
Shakey`s pizza, the crust was like a big saltine cracker. I remember the video baseball game and skeet shot you could play at your table that showed up on the projection screen.
Tyshawnjello

United States

#2344 Feb 10, 2011
I rememer back in the day when a brother could charge $30 for a $20 rock of the good stuff. Now times hard and folks be poor, so I can only get $20 for da sh!t now.
Debbie

Jackson, MS

#2345 Feb 15, 2011
pepsigal02 wrote:
<quoted text>
I attended Stone Wall Jackson School..My mother would drop us off early every morning, so we could have the yummy breakfast for 10 cents...I even remember some of my teachers, first Grade, Mrs Partridge....3rd grade Mrs Hollingsworth, 4th grade, Mrs Daniels.....Now, how's that for a memory?:)
Look on facebook, we have a stonewall jackson group with some pictures of the school and many comments for all of us

Look on facebook for our stonewall jackson group. we have many photos and comments
Debbie

Jackson, MS

#2346 Feb 15, 2011
Hope you find us on facebook. Stonewall Jackson Group.
Elefantisha

United States

#2347 Feb 15, 2011
Debbie wrote:
Hope you find us on facebook. Stonewall Jackson Group.
Dats racist

Tyshawnjello, how bout hookin a sista up?
Richard Brainbucket

United States

#2348 Feb 16, 2011
This thread is hilarious. Just have to make this comment - since when is a washed up old DJ considered a "celebrity"? You must not get around much.
Oh Well wrote:
<quoted text>Dale, it's a pleasure to see you here!!! and your site about WGH is fantastic. Thank you so much for the memories! I never knew when I started this thread, a real life celebrity would join in! I remember that gas station with the neon winged 'creature'. Scared the bejesus out of me too. What was the name of that gas station at the corner of Shoe Land and Warwick. He had a station full of candy but if we came over from Ferguson, he'd chase us away!
john

Houston, TX

#2349 Feb 28, 2011
most of all i just adored buckroe when they tore it down it relly hurt i loved it i met my wife of 38 yrs.
john

Houston, TX

#2350 Feb 28, 2011
iwas born in hampton in 1950 the place is ruined in my opinion by those bastards in the hampton, n news councils, christmas at newport news was wonderful, the stores go in the mornings an stay all day an really have fun an the same thing at downtown hampton us kids walking to highs ice cream an geting those hughe cones, dam i miss those days.
john

Houston, TX

#2351 Feb 28, 2011
rember woolworths the wooden floors the creeked, i went to george wythe elem, those days you did not talk back to the teachers you got you ear pulled off sit i or stand in the corner hands paddled with a ruler, after that you got it at home when the teacher called an had to say yes sir an no mam.no jeans at school , tennis shoes no pants below half down your ass an your uderware aroun your nipples. just see how our generation has changed its not good.i miss the old days so dam simplerer.dont you agree of all what i just said.
john

Houston, TX

#2352 Feb 28, 2011
does anybody remember jimmys a little hamburger place behind wt grant in n news served only hot dogs, hamburgers, an drank coke only out of the bottle best hamburgers i ever remenber so great an tidewater motorcycle, DAM WHAT WONDER FUL DAYS//////.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr John Galt 1,419,330
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 61,051
News Belmont: The Bronx 's true Little Italy - (Aug '07) 6 hr I dont know 104
Water Country Robberies! 6-28-08 (Jun '08) 6 hr Shar 5
Review: DRS Fantom Works (Jul '13) 8 hr Rob C 77
News Habitual Offending Husband and Wife Arrested - ... (Aug '10) 14 hr redeemed 84
Vote for Trump Fri Leonard 2

Virginia Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Virginia Beach Mortgages