Virginia Beach doctor has license sus...

Virginia Beach doctor has license suspended

There are 404 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Aug 12, 2008, titled Virginia Beach doctor has license suspended. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

According to the Virginia Department of Medicine, Dr. Stephen Plotnick was treating patients at his office on Virginia Beach Boulevard in a way that's not consistent with Virginia Code; allowing patients to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

Chester

Virginia Beach, VA

#41 Aug 14, 2008
If the Medical Board suspended every Doctor's license after they had a patient to die, I don't think we would have very many Doctors to see.
Greg W wrote:
So glad that drugs-on-demand are helping some of you folks out, but when multiple patients in this guy's care start dropping dead, I think it's time to pull the plug on the vending machine. But hey, at least those people aren't feeling the pain anymore, right?
Chesapeake

Norfolk, VA

#42 Aug 14, 2008
As a former patient of Dr P's, I would urge everyone to take this opportunity to try other Dr's and their approach to the problems at hand. I have found tremendous success, without the narcotics, and in most cases, there was no difference in the pain level from before I was taking them. Dr P has helped many I'm sure, but I know personally, several he hindered by not "allowing" us to try cutting back on the drugs to see if we could see a difference without them. We took control of our own care and chose to seek other care, after being turned away by several practices when they found out we were Dr P's patients. Thankfully we found other doctors and are so much better for it. I urge you to just think about the opportunity to try somone/something else-What if it works? You aren't putting those drugs in your system and walking around like a zombie. Take control of your health care...
Stephen Collier

Chesapeake, VA

#43 Aug 14, 2008
I've been a Chronic Fatigue suffer for my entire adult life. I've been Dr. Plotnick's patient for 2.5 years. My treatment hasn't been terribly successful, but I'm still grateful to Dr. Plotnick for not giving up on me. I've also read the list of allegations & understand that some of them are serious.

Dr. Plotnick is a rare doctor who doesn't give up on a confounding illness like Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Many of us have been through many doctors who have just given up. It's really something you have to experience.

The business of managing pain and fatigue is not always a safe one. The path that Dr. Plotnick travels is a new one and can involve potentially dangerous medications. Some people might be able to get relief without going down this path. It's worth checking out. However, there are many people who have already gone down that path and are very grateful to Dr. Plotnick for his treatment. To understand the situation, you really have to consider that Dr. Plotnick is breaking new ground in medicine and working with illnesses that other doctors don't know how to treat in the slightest. There will be incidents that don't go well.

Doctor Plotnick trusts his patients with information that other doctors don't bother to explain. He also trusts them to properly try out new medications properly, as the information he provides us clearly states. His office is very educational. He may have run into problems by trusting his patients' intelligence and honesty too much. I personally have tried many medications, mostly unsuccessful, and had no problems understanding the dosing or which medications to use at the same time. Many doctors try one of a class of medication and assume that represents the whole class. Dr. Plotnick knows better than to make that assumption. Again, it's his trust in his patients that may be causing him problems.

I've found Dr. Plotnick's services to be very competent. I very much appreciate the time he puts into my case, that he doesn't give up, and that he's willing to keep trying new meds and approaches. I've read the allegations against him and while there are some I take seriously, I don't believe that suspending Dr. Plotnick's license is in the best interest for all his patients. These patients are dealing with profound pain and fatigue and are already going through enough and don't need their doctor taken away from them.

The Virginia Department of Medicine should have taken a compromise approach and worked with Dr. Plotnick on the serious issues raised instead of the drastic step of suspending his license and leaving his patients without a doctor. I believe that decision was lacking in good judgement.

Doctor Plotnick is a good man and clearly puts a lot of effort in his own education, his patients' education, in safety for his patients, and trust in them. Suspending his practice has done far more harm than good.
Kara K

Virginia Beach, VA

#44 Aug 15, 2008
Stephen, I hope you forwarded your thoughts to the Medical Board, as you raise some excellent points. I was literally on the verge of giving up on the whole medical community until I found Dr. Plotnick, and I suffered for a few years prior, mostly because of my fear of taking pain medication (I don't drink, and I do not like to feel fuzzy headed) If you asked me 10 years ago, I would've SCOFFED at the thought of taking anything stronger than tylenol. I'm a 'good' girl, I'll tough it out!

And then I got *sick*...and toughed it out for a year or so, But then I realized something. I realized that MY pain was not just effecting ME, but it was effecting my children. THEY had become *depressed* over my pain, THEY were suffering, their grades were dropping, they were worrying WAY too much about *me*. They would come home from school and take one look at me and their eyes would water!!! And in a way, I was slowly killing myself, because I was afraid to EAT or drink anything from the pain that it would cause in my bladder, so it really was very cruel for me to NOT keep seeking help and make my children just watch their mom waste away.

Yes, Dr. P does trust his patients, and what about the 100's of us that were able to *improve* under his care, and followed the rules?

I am really worried about how Dr. P's patients will be perceived by the other physicians in the area.. and if they will be able to find help.

Quite honestly, I'm scared to death of returning to my old life of wretched pain, and I know I'm not alone. But its even more disheartening to me that so many doctors are afraid to treat chronic pain because of the risks involved.

Dr. P said his mother had fibromyalgia, my son wants to be a doctor (goes to the health/science academy) and has been asking me a lot of questions the last few days about what is going on right now regarding this, and I could SO see my son following Dr. P's footsteps, and if he did, I would be SO very proud. I hope my son will have the same courage and passion for healing as Dr. P does.
Vern

Suffolk, VA

#45 Aug 15, 2008
I have been a patient of Dr. Plotnicks for over five years. During this time I have been given prescription drugs to help me with my Chronic Fibromyalgia and Myofacial Syndrome pain. When I received a new prescription, from Dr. Plotnick, I always read the side effects on my “Drug Information Sheet”, given to me by the pharmacy at the time I filled the prescriptions. The sheet told me how to use the drug, its side effects, the precaution I should take, drug interaction and what to do if I suspect I had overdosed.

The most important information on the “Drug Information Sheet” was the paragraph stating,“This is a summary and does not contain all possible information about this product. For complete information about this product or your specific health needs, ask your pharmacist or healthcare professional.”

I wonder if the people complaining felt side affects from their medication and just continue to take it hoping it would go away. If the doctor could not be reached (which he could by his cell number which he made available to all of us for emergencies) they could have called the pharmacist.

Each one of us is responsible for our own body, and should speak up if we are having troubles taking a prescription drug, not wait until we have a life threatening experience.
Towanda123

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#46 Aug 15, 2008
I believe Doctors and Nurse practitioners are to relaxed giving these class of narcotics out. I believe in Pain management however these drugs are prescribed to easily and create more problems..... LIKE ADDICTION OVERDOSE and DEATH. Wake up people, get moving.... exercise!!!! Have a doctor that will monitor your drugs, if you have to be on them. NO ONE should BE ON CLASS II OR III Narcotics for an extended time unless you are on your death bed!
Get REAL AND WAKE UP AMERICA there is not a pill for everything.
All medical Doctors and Nurse Practitioners should have to report to a board to make sure they are not creating business for themselves and hurting the public. Consumers beware.......... there is a new drug dealer in town.......... Prescription Drugs
Mary Lynn

Aurora, CO

#47 Aug 16, 2008
I do not have any ties to Dr. P at all but read about a person who lost him as her Dr. because of this. First of all, if you do not have chronic, debilitating pain, you cannot comment on taking medication! None of us who need to take it, want to take it- sometimes it's the difference between living and simple breathing. Exercise? you've got to be kidding me- do you know what Fibromyalgia is?
There is patient responsibility involved here. Whether a doctor prescribes 10 or 100 pain pills a month, it doesn't matter. If someone wanted to they could take all 10 at once and if there body hasn't built up a tolerance, it could be real trouble (possible overdosing).
Believe me, unless you are living with this horrific condition you would know that narcotics are NOT just handed out. Many many patients have a very hard time getting pain relief.
Because there is no 'cure' for Fibromyalgia all we are left with is treating symptoms and making ourselves comfortable.
There will always be those will be abuse prescription medications - they are not generally the ones with chronic pain (unless they are so miserable they don't care if they die). There is a lot of research to support his.

Please unless you've lived with this kind of pain, do not judge those who by having some pain medication have finally been able to get out of bed, enjoy a day with their family, attend a school function with their children.

You can OD on Tylenol for crying outloud.
AND for the record, it is NOT uncommon for Dr.'s to say, "let's try this or that". The treatment for FMS is very trial and error and is different for every single patient.
As I said I do not know this Dr. personally, but I am so sorry for all of his patients who have lost him, hopefully temporarily. It's rare to find a Dr. who will fight to make your life better.
Stephen Collier

Chesapeake, VA

#48 Aug 16, 2008
Thank you, guys, for understanding the nasty situation that people with FM, CFS, and other mysterious chronic conditions! It's very aggravating when people who don't get it try to give advice based on what's worked for them or someone they know. The situations are not equal.

Many of us have been through many many doctors and treatments with little success. We've tried exercise (I personally go into shock when I've exercised enough to run out of oxygen... it's a major disincentive... there's a reason why very healthy soldiers don't get up after being shot & it's often nothing to do with the hole in them... it's the shock), acupuncture, sleep meds, light therapy... you name it, we've done it. We go through doctor after doctor because they give up on us.

That's the tragedy here. We finally find a doctor who's willing to try things others don't want to, who finds solutions for us that actually work, and now he's taken away from us. Who the hell am I going to go to now? It's not like I can call up any old doctor and get the help Dr. Plotnick gives. It'll be another long period of trial after trial and doctor after doctor giving up on me again.

The issues raised against Dr. Plotnick did not have to lead to this. He's a good guy doing risky work and the medical board could work with him on things instead.(I did write them an email I got from the site listed above)
Scanner

Tampa, FL

#49 Aug 18, 2008
To all of you above: This is not the media judging Dr. Plotnick; they are reporting on the Virginia Board of Medicine suspending his license after an investigation. All these anecdotal "he saved my life" means nothing.
Note: There are (at least) four people who can's post their comments here, since they have died.
Richard H Palmer

Virginia Beach, VA

#50 Aug 18, 2008
I have been going to Dr. Plotnick for the past two years and believe he is the only Doctor I have found to spent so much time with you. He really cares about your problem. Sure he has twited my drugs looking for the best one so as to not have side effects. I was in so much pain for so long until I went to him. He has been trying to replace other non- narcotic drugs in their place in hopes to get me off them. Because of his attenion I'am not taken as much as I was.
He is constantly talking about the filter in the brain that needs to be conditioned not to receive the pain. Each time I hve been to his office I have not spent less than 1 hr. going over whats best for me and training me to over come. What other doctor spends that much time with his patients ?
Bill

Portsmouth, VA

#51 Aug 18, 2008
I just hope that these folks suffering with fibro can find a new Dr. that will take the time that it seems Dr. Plotnik did. My mom suffers from it and I know that finding a Dr. that actually believes them is a huge step, much less finding one that will treat. Good luck, and to Dr. Plotnick, it sounds to me that you were trying to pioneer a way of treating these chronic issues. I hope that all the facts in the case will lead to a drop of charges and you get your license back without any change in your service.
Belinda

Virginia Beach, VA

#52 Aug 19, 2008
i am a patient of dr. plotnicks since april. he never once asked me what medicine i would like to be put on. i have seen him at least four times ince april and he has been a great doctor. caring, compassionate, and knowledgeable. i don't understand why he is in question. i don't know what i would do without him. my illness has been passed over by many and my lab reports show a serious issue that he has been helping me with. i feel very upset that he has been taken off my case when we are making progress. all of this is ridiculous. i want my doctor back please.
Belinda

Virginia Beach, VA

#53 Aug 19, 2008
and unless you have this condition. shut up about what you THINK we should be doing. you try exercise when your body is on fire. i can barely get out of bed in the morning. i am alone and have no one to turn to except my doctor.
Martin

Virginia Beach, VA

#54 Aug 19, 2008
After reading all the comments, it seems to me that Dr. Plotnick's patients are the ones who know him best. Most of the negative comments are from people who don't know Dr. Plotnick, clueless about Pain Management, and base their comments on a hatchet job article written by a person who knows as much about what's really going on as the ones leaving the negative comments.
Belinda

Virginia Beach, VA

#55 Aug 19, 2008
thanks richard for your comments. i don't know what to do at this point. i have called a couple of other doctors. but have only been able to leave messages. it took me three months to get in with doctor p. i am very concerned.
Richard H Palmer wrote:
I have been going to Dr. Plotnick for the past two years and believe he is the only Doctor I have found to spent so much time with you. He really cares about your problem. Sure he has twited my drugs looking for the best one so as to not have side effects. I was in so much pain for so long until I went to him. He has been trying to replace other non- narcotic drugs in their place in hopes to get me off them. Because of his attenion I'am not taken as much as I was.
He is constantly talking about the filter in the brain that needs to be conditioned not to receive the pain. Each time I hve been to his office I have not spent less than 1 hr. going over whats best for me and training me to over come. What other doctor spends that much time with his patients ?
Matt Pistritto

Chesapeake, VA

#56 Aug 19, 2008
In my years of nursing I have never met a doctor or worked for a doctor that willing gave 2, 3, or even 4, different rx's for Schedule II and Schedule III narcotics and told them to " try them out" and let me know what works for you. this is absurd.

I respect your profession, however I do believe that Dr Plotnick has a great deal more education then you have. You are taking this article verbatim and you have never even met the man. He did give 2 small prescriptions, of ten pills. One has a side effect of stomach issues. He said to try it because that was the one he preferred. He then said if you can't tolerate try the other. You know what they weren't narcotics. He actually writes some prescriptions that are not narcotics! When he does prescribe narcotics he is extremely cautious. How many doctors have you met that perform random drug screening. On every narcotic prescription he writes me my picture is on it. I never seen a dr do that before. I had to pick a pharmacy and then I MUST fill my prescription there. It even is written on the script. I once thought I lost a prescription bottle of pills. My wife eventually found it. However, when I couldn't find I called Dr Plotnick
and he told me to continue looking for it and if I can not find it I would have to bring a police report before he could reissue the drug. His practice includes a lot more than narcotics. I remember different things we tried. Some helped and some didn't. Some things we tried included water therapy, a stimulator that he demonstrated for me. I then purchased my own. If you had FMS and CFS and lived in pain and fatigue every day then you would be sitting next to me in Dr. Plotnick's waiting room waiting to be seen. Waiting to see the best.(I have been seeing Dr. Plotnick for over eight years now.)
OZwald

AOL

#57 Aug 20, 2008
Towanda123 wrote:
I believe Doctors and Nurse practitioners are to relaxed giving these class of narcotics out. I believe in Pain management however these drugs are prescribed to easily and create more problems..... LIKE ADDICTION OVERDOSE and DEATH. Wake up people, get moving.... exercise!!!! Have a doctor that will monitor your drugs, if you have to be on them. NO ONE should BE ON CLASS II OR III Narcotics for an extended time unless you are on your death bed!
Get REAL AND WAKE UP AMERICA there is not a pill for everything.
All medical Doctors and Nurse Practitioners should have to report to a board to make sure they are not creating business for themselves and hurting the public. Consumers beware.......... there is a new drug dealer in town.......... Prescription Drugs
Your remarks are not correct at all and if you don't have chronic pain or know DR. Plotnick then go poop in someone elses corn flakes.
OZwald

AOL

#58 Aug 20, 2008
Dr. Plotnick does not deserve to be judged so harshly by people who don't have chronic pain.
Plotnick never asked me to "pick-out" my medications and I have been his patient for several years with many health concerns and drug sensitivities Dr. Plotnick has done his a wonderful job of getting me back on my feet with as little medication as possible. There was a trip planned for my near future and with Dr. Plotnick's time being wasted on a few who let depression get the best of them, I may have to cancel seeing my close family member be deployed because Dr. Plotnick's time is being monopolized by a few who really need to review the body of DR. Plotnick's work and not snippets of those people if depressed and desperate may have used other methods for early demise. Think of all of the patient that suffer with chronic pain and play by the rules and laws of our country. Think of the actions of a few patients who use their meds incorrectly. Will there be any great doctors left who will be ready, willing and able to treat chronic pain?
May I refer those who read this letter to go to www.nationalpainfondation.com and read the stories of people in pain.

This is a bunch of horse mookie and it seems to me that some of his patients/families are out for a quick buck. Sorry that your family members died but people die everyday. If you are one of the family member of a deceased patient.... could it be that you are suffering from guilt for not noticing your loved one was depressed or taking to many of their meds? As a patient of Dr. Plotnick's we sign an agreement. During every visit Dr. Plotnick asks the question "is the medicine doing it to her or for her?" In other words are you hooked or abusing your meds? I do not get euphoric, high or wasted from my meds. My meds and other methods of pain control help me to have a normal life. When I stop taking my meds then I have pain...pain so awful that I stop moving, working and carrying about anything.

All chronic pain patients would love having a doctor who treats his patient as Steven Plotnick. Doctor Plotnick's practice is very important and has changed a zillion lives for the better. Dr. Plotnick is a good soul who allows family members to come into the exam. Plotnick has a great sense of humor and writes notes for each patient to take home to read. Doctor Plotnick writes in such away that most patients can grasp a complex disorder such as Fibro in a few visits.

It is wrong to put DR. Plotnick through this torture. He does not deserve such an inquest nor does his family or office staff. Over the summer are goal is to read the book made famous by Oprah, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. The section on "the pain body" is of particular interest to Dr. Plotnick, his patients and his staff. This entire matter sounds like a river of yuck to me. Hang in there Dr. Plotnick....many brilliant minds have been tested because some people lack a basic understanding.
Robert Franks

Newport News, VA

#59 Aug 20, 2008
I have been a patient of Dr. Plotnik for 3+ years, I have cripling rheumitoid arthritis, and at one time a construction worker with no insurance, subsiquently I used street narcotics for pain control. I ended up with a raging additiction to heroin and oxycotin. I was at the point of spending more money than I was making on my job, so I had to detox myself and I became bedridden and physically and emotionally ill. I was refered to Dr. Plotnik by a excellent eye physician named Dr. Milch, who save me from loosing an eye due an injury. Dr. Plotnik ageed to see me and made it be know he would not feed my addiction. He tought me that 100% pain control would only lead to me becomming a narcotic zombie. He would only prescripe be very small amounts of pain med's, just enough to make me confortable, but not enough to make me drug adled. I can no longer do contruction work due to my arthritis, but I now have the ability to do gardening and handyman work. Dr. Plotnik during this time has continued to counsel me on drug misuse, he has slowly lowered the amount of intake and has constantly monitered me and my lifestyle. He urine screens me, stays in touch with my POA, my sister Lisa to make sure I am staying drug free. He has at no time offered to give me just anything I wanted, nor do I believe he would do so(based on his strict code of ethics)Dr. Plotnik has taken me out of the bed, and has made me a productive memeber of society, he has made me respectable with my family and friends. I have in the past had doctors give me whatever I asked for, but not Dr. Plotnik, if you don't believe me ask my sister Lisa, who has been my advocate.
Robert D Franks
Lisa Midgett(sister)
[email protected]
CLARENE PARKER

Norfolk, VA

#60 Aug 20, 2008
I HAVE BEEN A PATIENT OF DR. PLOTNICKS EVEN BEFORE HE WAS IN PRIVATE PRACTICE. HE WAS WITH PORTSMOUTH NAVAL HOSPITAL IN THE RHEUMATOLOGY DEPARTMENT. MY HUSBAND WAS A PATIENT OF HIS THERE AND HE TOLD HIM ABOUT MY CONDITION AND HE AGREED TO SEE ME. OTHER DRS WERE TELLING ME I HAD GOUT IN MY KNEES BUT WHAT ABOUT MY BACK PAIN. DR. PLOTNICK AFTER EXTENSIVE TESTING FOUND I HAD FIBROMYAGIA, CHRONIC FATIGUE AND CHRONIC MYOFACIAL PAIN. HE WAS A LIFE SAVER TO ME . MANY DAYS I COULD NOT WALK NOR EVEN GET OUT OF BED. IT WAS A HORRIBLE LIFE. ALL OF THESE ALLOGATIONS ARE INSANE. HE IS A VERY CARING , PATIENT AND UNDERSTANING DR. OF YOUR PAIN AND NEEDS. WHAT DR. DOESN'T ASK YOU IF THIS MEDICATION IS HELPING YOU OR DO WE NEED TO CHANGE IT TO SOMETHING ELSE. HECK I HAVE BEEN THROUGH VARIOUS MEDICATIONS TO GET MY CONDITION UNDER CONTROL. I AM NOW LEADING A NORMAL LIFE AGAIN. I CAN GO TO THE GYM AND EXERCISE NOW AND TAKE LONG WALKS, WHICH BACK THEN WAS UNTHINKABLE. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO DR. PLOTNICK HOPEFULLY BEING EXHONERATED OF THESE CHARGES AND CONTINUEING TO SEE HIM AS MY DR. I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP HOPE. IF YOU SEE THIS DR. PLOTNICK I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK. I FEEL CONFIDENT THINGS WILL GO WELL FOR YOU.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min Patriot AKA Bozo 58,777
What are you feelings on men wearing womens und... (Jul '12) 7 hr panties corning a... 27
News Michael Jackson postpones some London shows; sa... (May '09) Thu Richard Kranium 33
Barack Osama first gay president Apr 25 slick willie 2
Lowes False Advertising (May '15) Apr 25 Porrus Poope 2
Why arn't there more blacks in VB ? (Oct '14) Apr 25 Al Sharptongue 18
state farm sucks (Apr '15) Apr 25 Sam State Farm 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Virginia Beach Mortgages